*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Squat day on Friday went better. Managed 100kg ATG, strength wise I could manage more, but I was at total full stretch and didn't want to risk it yet. Could feel that my tensors and adductors or rotators had no stretch left.

Back day today felt horrible though. 100kg DL for 4 reps of 10, and just felt nasty. Form fine, no pain, but just that horrible sick feeling. Probably just shock to the system and lactic acid. My god did I sweat. Grip strength has suffured massively, too. Forearms were on fire by end of the second set. Managed all 4 sets without straps, but it's going to be a while before my fingers and forearms forgive me :)

Man of Honour
That's the first time I've read or heard that.

How often are we supposed to do this? When is the best time to do it?

What does it achieve?

Also, is it normal to feel a bit light-headed after a tough set?

It's all about mixing up the rep ranges you use, for example you could do 5 reps for a while, then 3 for a couple of weeks, and then test your 1rm.

Being light headed is perfectly normal, just make sure you give yourself enough time to recover or you'll find yourself on the floor or looking at what used to be the contents of your stomach ;)

Soldato
The front of my shoulders are really hurting this morning, after bench pressing yesterday. They are really sore, after I benched I tried doing incline dumbell press and really struggled even with 17.5KG either side as my shoulders just felt 'dead' and my right one kept clicking!!

any ideas?!?

Caporegime
The front of my shoulders are really hurting this morning, after bench pressing yesterday. They are really sore, after I benched I tried doing incline dumbell press and really struggled even with 17.5KG either side as my shoulders just felt 'dead' and my right one kept clicking!!

any ideas?!?

B e nice if I could do flys with 17.5kg in each arm :o...Only manage 10kg 'comfortable', and that's pushing it :(

My right shoulder clicks on certain movements, mainly behind the head push-press (you know what I mean), so I try to not do it. See if it carrys on next time is all I can say :)

Squat day on Friday went better. Managed 100kg ATG, strength wise I could manage more, but I was at total full stretch and didn't want to risk it yet. Could feel that my tensors and adductors or rotators had no stretch left.

Back day today felt horrible though. 100kg DL for 4 reps of 10, and just felt nasty. Form fine, no pain, but just that horrible sick feeling. Probably just shock to the system and lactic acid. My god did I sweat. Grip strength has suffured massively, too. Forearms were on fire by end of the second set. Managed all 4 sets without straps, but it's going to be a while before my fingers and forearms forgive me :)

I really CANNOT wait until I reach 100kg...Currently only doing 50kg, although thats not bad considering it was my first attempt at DL's since I stopped about 6 months ago, even then I was only doing 55kg.

Hurry up please :)

Caporegime
He said incline press, not flys :p

If your shoulder clicks, is it coming from internal? Gotta take care of those rotator cuffs, make sure you stretch and exercise them.

To be honest, doing rotator cuffs is what caused the damn problem in the first place.

What do you do to warm them up? I can't see how anyone gets anything done if they sit there warming up every individual ligament etc before they do anything :p

Indeed that is what he said, but even that i'd probably struggle :o...Ah well, Bench tomorrow, will see if I can beat the 1RM I have, otherwise try and do more reps :)

Soldato
Probably just means you already had it significantly weakened. Light (emphisis on the word light!) cable work and no-weight movements would probably warm it up :) I need to get back in the swing of doing mine as it's giving me gip at the moment.

*hopes icecold comes along with his copy'n'paste videos for rotator cuffs!*

Caporegime
Probably just means you already had it significantly weakened. Light (emphisis on the word light!) cable work and no-weight movements would probably warm it up :) I need to get back in the swing of doing mine as it's giving me gip at the moment.

I've seen videos posted up before, some from youtube, and when I showed the physio after knackering my shoulder he said that will just make it worse due to the movement...

In the end he made me basically do reverse lateral/front raises? lol

Soldato
Physios don't always know best unfortunately - the people that host the videos in IceCold's links have been working in the bodybuilding industry for years and practice what they preach. I dare say most physios are small time 'experts' who spend more time helping old grannies climb stairs than they do bodybuilders with major injuries........?

</massivegeneralisation>

Caporegime
Physios don't always know best unfortunately - the people that host the videos in IceCold's links have been working in the bodybuilding industry for years and practice what they preach. I dare say most physios are small time 'experts' who spend more time helping old grannies climb stairs than they do bodybuilders with major injuries........?

</massivegeneralisation>

True, but when he explained it to me at the time it made sense. I dunno :(

Caporegime

any ideas?!?

Sounds like you are pushing with your shoulders and not just your pecs when benching. Be sure to keep those shoulders back and down. Your traps should be at full compress, and use your lats to keep those shoulders down. I find it easier to imagine I am pushing myself into the bench, rather than pushing the weight away. That stops me lifting my shoulders. :)

And a gentle warning: This is exactly the kinda thing that landed me in trouble with my supraspinatus (aka rotator cuff) the shoulder is coming forward, and impinging the RC, meaning it rubs against the clavacle and ball joint of the shoulder, and it swells up, becomes rigid, and eventually can be strained or worse. :)

Soldato
That's just down to lack of oxygen surely? :p

If it happens ALL the time, maybe start looking in to it, otherwise you 'might' be pushing too hard.

It only usually happens after squats and has happened about twice in four weeks, last session being the worst but I blame that partly on doing a 500m rowing sprint before hand!

Funnily enough my wrist is fine today!!! :confused: That's after a rowing sprint, squats, shoulder press and bench press followed by chopping bushes down in the garden afterwards. I thought my wrist would be killing!

Only thing I did change in the gym was a thumb over grip (after reading it on here) whilst squatting so perhaps that made a difference? Either that or I think perhaps the gym is only part of the reason why it hurts and I might sleep funny sometimes which put stress on it.

Either way I am like a pig in poo today. :) Going to bash out a few km on the cycling machine!

Edit - just been on the bike did a minute warm up followed but 4 minutes of 15 second sprint and 15 second rest then 30 second rest and 15 second fast pace then ~30 second sprint.

Any tips on what do to next time, shall I just add another minute on? Just aiming to improve fitness really.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^^ love that video :D

:p

Actually you're both kind of right. I mean I have no idea what video Delvis showed his physio that he didn't approve of, but in general people focus FAR too much on their rotator cuffs when they have shoulder problems. They are important to shoulder health, but they are tiny muscles compared to everything else that's going on.

The number one most important thing is the position of your shoulder joint; if it isn't back and vertically low down in the socket you're going to have problems. This is influenced by multitudinous factors, including your shoulder mobility (internal/external rotation), scapular mechanics and thoracic mobility. If you have all these things taken care of you are much less likely to pick up shoulder injuries. The only problem is that doing the corrective work is bloody boring!

Bad shoulder positioning can certainly cause rotator cuff problems, but when this happens exercising them will not fix the problem.

Incidentally, poor shoulder positioning is why Andr3w's shoulders were sore after benching, so be careful mate! :)

Caporegime
^^^ love that video :D

:p

Actually you're both kind of right. I mean I have no idea what video Delvis showed his physio that he didn't approve of, but in general people focus FAR too much on their rotator cuffs when they have shoulder problems. They are important to shoulder health, but they are tiny muscles compared to everything else that's going on.

The number one most important thing is the position of your shoulder joint; if it isn't back and vertically low down in the socket you're going to have problems. This is influenced by multitudinous factors, including your shoulder mobility (internal/external rotation), scapular mechanics and thoracic mobility. If you have all these things taken care of you are much less likely to pick up shoulder injuries. The only problem is that doing the corrective work is bloody boring!

Bad shoulder positioning can certainly cause rotator cuff problems, but when this happens exercising them will not fix the problem.

Incidentally, poor shoulder positioning is why Andr3w's shoulders were sore after benching, so be careful mate! :)

Well I showed him what I used to do, not the video itself :p

Basically windmill motions...Oh and this is the video I was shown in this thread / the one before:

What would you do out of interest Ice? With regards to warming up on shoulder day / chest day? Seeing as shoulders are used on both days theoretically

EDIT: And OW to the Deadlift passing out guy :(...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom