*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Man I love training legs. I wish everyday was a leg day!

Yeah at first I was against training legs as I thought it would be a waste and wouldn't matter much to me but after training them for 2 weeks I love it, the excercises are fun to do and you really feel the burn after a good session.

What are you favourite exercises? I usually do leg press, dumbbell walking lunges, standing dumbbell calf raise and lying leg curls

Associate
Can anyone suggest a good routine for biceps/triceps/shoulders/chest?

This is my routine at the moment (3rd week at the gym so excuse me if my routine isn't great) but I'm pretty sore after every session and I do generally feel stronger and like I'm improving my strength:

Day 1: Chest & Triceps:

Chest

Barbell Bench Press = 6 x 3
Machine Fly = 6 x 3
Dumbbell Fly = 8 x 3

Tricep

Tricep Pushdown Rope = 8 x 3
Tricep Dumbbell Kickback = 8 x 3
Dumbbell Incline Triceps Extension = 8 x 3

Day 2: Back, Bicep and Forearm:

Back

Chin up = 8 x 3
One-Arm Dumbbell Row = 8 x 3
Bent Arm Barbell Pullover = 8 x 3

Biceps and Forearm

Barbell Curl = 8 x 3
Cable Seated Row = 8 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Curl = 8 x 3
Alternate Hammer Curl = 8 x 3

Day 3: Shoulders and Legs:

Legs

Leg Press = 8 x 3
Dumbbell Walking Lunges = 8 x 3
Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise = 8 x 3
Lying Leg Curls = 8 x 3

Shoulders

Dumbbell Lateral Raise = 8 x 3
Dumbbell Shoulder Press = 8 x 3
Barbell Shrug = 8 x 3
Clean and Jerk = 8 x 3

Soldato
Hi guys thanks for the advice.

Some of that is ofc because of weight, my lower end lifting is generally quite good, push up through ankles, lift close to shins, up over the knee and push out.

Looking at it now would agree with the back, just a few little changes to make with back form.

For who asked no vid of 250, did want it done by April but ended up doing it last month. Just wanted get high weights for 3-5 reps at the mo.

There's only 3/4 guys who actually dl.

Man of Honour
The fact that it's heavy isn't an excuse, you're far more likely to injure yourself lifting heavy anyway.

This is me doing what I would consider only borderline acceptable form, but I'm still not sacrificing my spinal alignment.

Caporegime
Hmm, I have leg day tommorrow, cannot wwait :)...Never used the squat rack thing at the gym so it'll be different! Mind you never used an OLY bar on a squat! AGHHH

On the plus side, did Chest on Friday, new PB for me, 50KG :) Only managed two, and literally just managed the second one :o...Can I ask, do people have catchers for bench or? Naturally spotters are better but you know.

Soldato
Hi icecold, good lifts...

See now tbh i'd say form looked good on back but your feet stance imo is way too close together (shoulder injuries and upper back anyone???)

But thats just my opinon :o

Man of Honour
I have a question regarding deadlift form.

I've been struggling with sussing out my form after being told I should try going 'lower' with my bum. When I squat, I usually go down so my thighs are horizontal. With deadlift, they only go down to approximately the angle icecold is going down to in the vid.

I have tried going lower, but I have big long arms - if I go as low as I can with squats and let my arms hand down they are way below the height of the bar for deadlift. I decided to try and correct this last week by having a more vertical back during my lift (I tend to be leant over quite a bit for squats and deadlifts) so that it raised the hight of my shoulders thus allowing me to grab the bar, and with barely no weight at all on the bar I seems to mess up my hip!

What angle should your thighs by at when you deadlift? Will it also depend on the tilt of your hips? I have a slight tilt on mine but I can't remember which way :o

Soldato
Interestingly I have the exact opposite problem Nitefly, I've got ickle T-Rex arms and my thighs are probably an inch or two of parallel with my back probably no more than 25-30deg. Sucks.

alx

alx

Soldato
I have a question regarding deadlift form.

I've been struggling with sussing out my form after being told I should try going 'lower' with my bum. When I squat, I usually go down so my thighs are horizontal. With deadlift, they only go down to approximately the angle icecold is going down to in the vid.

I have tried going lower, but I have big long arms - if I go as low as I can with squats and let my arms hand down they are way below the height of the bar for deadlift. I decided to try and correct this last week by having a more vertical back during my lift (I tend to be leant over quite a bit for squats and deadlifts) so that it raised the hight of my shoulders thus allowing me to grab the bar, and with barely no weight at all on the bar I seems to mess up my hip!

What angle should your thighs by at when you deadlift? Will it also depend on the tilt of your hips? I have a slight tilt on mine but I can't remember which way :o

The angle really depends on your body type, obviously someone with long legs and short arms would have a slightly different starting point to someone with long arms and short legs. As you say you don't want to be bent too far over otherwise it put more strain on your back.

Another good tip I found useful was that when you start the lift your hips/bum shouldn't rise without the bar moving up also at the same time - ie the bar should start moving as soon as you start the lift along with your hips. If you're leaving the bar behind so to speak your wasting energy and again shifting more of the strain onto your back. Hope that helps, I personally found it was useful for me :)

Man of Honour
Hi icecold, good lifts...

See now tbh i'd say form looked good on back but your feet stance imo is way too close together (shoulder injuries and upper back anyone???)

But thats just my opinon :o
That really isn't a problem. Your stance (foot placement) on deadlifts is more or less down to the individual, and you can't really injure your shoulders or lower back like that. I train with guys who know their stuff, in fact that gym is mostly for a powerlifting club. Don't just take my word for it though, look up correct deadlift technique.

Looking more closely I think I would now have my heals a half inch further apart, but that's pretty minor. That aside, the form is more or less spot on, it's just that I'm not quite getting the glute engagement that I should as this is when I tweaked my lower back/high glute.

Nitefly, you have posterior hip rotation (top of hips rotated back). This means that your hamstrings are shortened and thus weakened in your deadlift setup, and also your lower back is more exposed which means you're going to really have to concentrate on sticking your bum as far back as you can.

As far as telling you how high your hips should be, I'd need to show you (still need to organise a session!). The rough rule is, the bar needs to be over the middle of your foot, in contact with your shin, and vertically under your shoulders. Being lower means you use more legs, as you can see on my video I'm using my mid-back quite a bit.

sigma, there is really nothing to worry about provided you use correct form.

Associate
I was wondering, will any York weight discs fit on any York barbell/dumbell spinlock bar?

I have a York 20KG Chrome Dumbbell weight set right now and I'm interested in buying a barbell set like the York Spinlock Cast Iron Barbell/Dumbbell Weights Set 48kg. But will the chrome discs I have now fit on the 140cm spinlock bar that comes with the cast iron set or will I have to buy the Chrome barbell/dumbbell set?

I'm hoping that any weight discs from York (vinyl/cast iron/chrome) fit on any York spinlock bar..I can only find cast iron/vinyl weight discs on internet stores too..

Soldato
I was wondering, will any York weight discs fit on any York barbell/dumbell spinlock bar?

I have a York 20KG Chrome Dumbbell weight set right now and I'm interested in buying a barbell set like the York Spinlock Cast Iron Barbell/Dumbbell Weights Set 48kg. But will the chrome discs I have now fit on the 140cm spinlock bar that comes with the cast iron set or will I have to buy the Chrome barbell/dumbbell set?

I'm hoping that any weight discs from York (vinyl/cast iron/chrome) fit on any York spinlock bar..I can only find cast iron/vinyl weight discs on internet stores too..

Where abouts are you? I have a load of york bars and weights that you can have if you are in the NE. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom