*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Not point cutting if you haven't got a decent amount of mass on you. Bulk up and forget about the excess fat for now, you can strip that away later.

Soldato
Starting Strong Lifts tonight. Very very happy with my current progress but gym has become BORING for me and I'm forcing myself to go. I thought changing my program would help a bit and Strong Lifts has been getting a good write-up.

Soldato
Well I am skinny @ 5'10" and 63kg but the stomach ****s me off big time. It crept up slowly over the course of about 14 months, my previous weight was 59kg.

Bulk up. With more muscle your 'belly' will look much less exaggerated. Also i assume your posture is pretty poor, maybe fix that and you will look much better.

Soldato
I guess you're right, it does make sense to bulk, well try to anyway! Won't see huge progress anytime soon.

I think my posture could be improved but, to be honest, the worst is after eating a big meal, I can see it poking out a bit and it ****s me off. :( Wouldn't mind if it was on my arms or anywhere else!

I guess most people are used to it but I want my flat stomach back.

Permabanned
it sounds to me like if you cut you will spend a lot of time going in circles

get bulking, its what you want to do based on your posts, but maybe try to lean bulk over a longer period. At your bodyweight the last thing you need to be doing is worrying about bodyfat right now

Man of Honour
To be honest if you keep going with your bulk but but add in a bit of HIIT you might even lose the belly.

As has been mentioned, low muscle mass exaggerates body fat.

Associate
Been making some OK progress of late. Deadlift not gone anywhere really but my other lifts have progressed nicely imo:-

Squat 130kg
OH Press 75kg
Bench 125kg

Associate
Been making some OK progress of late. Deadlift not gone anywhere really but my other lifts have progressed nicely imo:-

Squat 130kg
OH Press 75kg
Bench 125kg

:\ I was impressed with my lifts till now haha

21 Years old, been back at the gym properly for 3/4 weeks:

Squat 60Kg
OH Press 25Kg
Incline Bench (not done normal bench since back) 37.5Kg

But now I am depressed :p

Caporegime
Starting Strong Lifts tonight. Very very happy with my current progress but gym has become BORING for me and I'm forcing myself to go. I thought changing my program would help a bit and Strong Lifts has been getting a good write-up.

im going to go back to strong lifts, but focus on back and shoulders more. something like.

Session A

Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Overhead press 5 x 5
Lat Raises 5 x 5
Front Raises 5 x 5

Session B

Squat 5 x 5
Barbell Row 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Lat Pull Down 5 x 5
Low Row on Pulley 5 x 5

hopefully this makes my bench and dead lift increase as they are poor in comparison to my squat. Squat is 180kg, Bench is 80kg and Deadlift is 150kg.

Then after a few months go back to isolation stuff to make the arms grow bigger.

Soldato
Guys, just a quick one for the minute, going to be posting a lot more tomorrow... but for a 22 year old man weighing 228LBS at about 20 - 25% Bodyfat, what kind of Kcals would you be looking at to lose weight? I was thinking around the 2200kcal range, considering I shall be doing free weights 4 out of 7 days, and mixing in cardio, football and tennis?

Cheers, Planning a big thread / journal tomorrow but want to get my sums and the like correct first.

Associate
Guys, just a quick one for the minute, going to be posting a lot more tomorrow... but for a 22 year old man weighing 228LBS at about 20 - 25% Bodyfat, what kind of Kcals would you be looking at to lose weight? I was thinking around the 2200kcal range, considering I shall be doing free weights 4 out of 7 days, and mixing in cardio, football and tennis?

Cheers, Planning a big thread / journal tomorrow but want to get my sums and the like correct first.

Under the assumption you are 6ft tall I got this:

RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY
Maintenance: 2852 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 2282 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1824 Calories/day

Using the Calorie Calculator, hope this helps :)

Soldato
Yeah that matches with what I got guys. Hoping to lose fairly fast but wanna cling on to what little muscle I have! Photos and a write up to follow tomorrow, I'm a huge lurker here and I'm hoping for some good support :) Thanks again!

Caporegime

use scoobies calorie calculator.

tbh though, i never count calories, its far too hard, you need to weight everything you eat, etc and calculate it all up and keep a food diary, etc.

if your looking to lose weight, do not drink anything apart from water. no fizzy drinks, no diluting juice, no fruit juice, etc. only water. do not snack either, eat meals but if your eating a meal and feel full, stop eating, doesn't matter if you need to throw the food away, do it or keep it for later.

try and make portions smaller to avoid overeating as that is your main problem if you are overweight really.

if you want to go down the calorie counting route, then good luck to you, you will need a set of kitchen scales and measure everything you eat.

Caporegime
Not really that hard, if you eat same/similar things week in/week out after you do it for 1 week it'll give you an understanding of what you're eating.

yeah but if your like me, i eat completely different things every day/week. then you have to measure everything. i am a bit of a connoisseur though when it comes to food. so instead of all that hassle, i just try and be strict with portions, etc.

Soldato
It's useful to weigh/calculate a few things once so you have an idea, doesn't take long. You don't have to weigh everything each time, you can guesstimate once you know a base value.

You don't want to wonder why you haven't lost as much fat as you'd expected after 2 months because you underestimated the calorific value of some foods. My sister's mate did this by eating too much fruit because she thought "well fruit is healthy right? what could go wrong!" :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom