*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Ahh you never know, I had a mate who used creatine once, not a special brand or anything and it put a fair wack on him for some reason.

Anyway, thought i'd get some form checks in please:

Both 90KG, just slightely different angles, one looks better than the other as well :p

EDIT: Wait, looking at the top one, not sure if thats 80 or 85kg now? Ahh well...Bottom is defo 90kg.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks good Delvis, really focus on keeping the chest pulled back which will help keep the back from the slight curve.

Starting 10s of my HST this week.
Tonight is Bench press 100x10x2, Squat 110x10x2, Shoulder DB Press 30x10x2 and 3 other exercises.

Edit:
Delvis, took another look and noticed your bent over quite a bit rather than 'sitting back' which won't help the back be in a strong position.

Here's an side-by-side against myself (by no means perfect but should show what I mean), notice the angle and curve.
dl_pic.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys, just want to run a quick full body routine by you if I may. It's one I've been recommended by one of the generic person trainers at the gym I joined last week. I aim to do this 3 times per week along with some cardio (running) around 3 times a week.

3x12 Squats
3x12 Stiff Leg Deadlift
2X15 Seated Calf Raises
3X12 Barbell Bench Press
3x12 Barbell Row
2x10 Shoulder Press
2x10 Dumbell Curls
2x10 Tricep Pulldown

I'm looking to get into a good basic routine at fist so I can sort out proper form and see the weights increase as the weeks go by. Besides building muscle, reducing body fat and getting healthy I really want to increase my core strenght to help with my posture. Being an IT geek sitting behind a desk doesn't help.

If this workout is good to go I'll be starting tomorrow evening. If anyone feels I could gain from changing it please let me know your thoughts :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks fine to me, you'll just want to make sure you nail the form on the squat, SLDL to maximize the benefits. Too many times do I see new people to the gym doing some very bad squats which is doing more harm than good. Watch some videos, practice in the mirror at home and you'll be fine.

Soldato
Further to what LiE said, if you're trying to improve your posture then you really need to have a DSE assessment completing at your work place. I was slouching in my chair, chair too high up, monitor too low down, keyboard too far back.... All these things will have a negative affect on where your shoulders sit.

Soldato
Looks fine to me, you'll just want to make sure you nail the form on the squat, SLDL to maximize the benefits. Too many times do I see new people to the gym doing some very bad squats which is doing more harm than good. Watch some videos, practice in the mirror at home and you'll be fine.

Form is what I'm most concerned about. I'm happy just using the bar to start with until I get it right. I'll check out some of the videos etc and record how I look for a comparison.

Further to what LiE said, if you're trying to improve your posture then you really need to have a DSE assessment completing at your work place. I was slouching in my chair, chair too high up, monitor too low down, keyboard too far back.... All these things will have a negative affect on where your shoulders sit.

I'll look into getting a DSE assessment done. Is it law or just a guideline for employers? I suffer with my back, neck and shoulders even though I've followed a guide (seat/screen height etc)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Most likely you'll be putting tension on those muscles all day causing them to be quite painful. It does take a while to address posture for work which is something I'm still working on as a desk monkey, going to the gym has helped make me more aware of how muscles work.

For form you should watch some mark rippteoe videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Soldato
Most likely you'll be putting tension on those muscles all day causing them to be quite painful. It does take a while to address posture for work which is something I'm still working on as a desk monkey, going to the gym has helped make me more aware of how muscles work.

For form you should watch some mark rippteoe videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Great stuff. Thanks for the link :)

Caporegime
Looks good Delvis, really focus on keeping the chest pulled back which will help keep the back from the slight curve.

Tonight is Bench press 100x10x2, Squat 110x10x2, Shoulder DB Press 30x10x2 and 3 other exercises.

Edit:
Delvis, took another look and noticed your bent over quite a bit rather than 'sitting back' which won't help the back be in a strong position.

Here's an side-by-side against myself (by no means perfect but should show what I mean), notice the angle and curve.

Cheers dude, will try and be more aware of it next time, hopefully get another video up :)

EDIT: Just to note...My arms are fully stretched there, so maybe it's a case of getting my arse lower? Which is going to be annoying as it feels like i'm pretty low already. Ahh well

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Edit:

dl_pic.png
Solid advice. Only just got a chance to watch the videos and I was about to post the same thing, i.e. loose upper back, not enough tension in your lats and mid back. Your arms are just meant to be hooks for the weight, but your back needs to be braced and tight. This all ties in with bringing your chest through; in both of the pictures above we should see chests in front of arms.

Orange Peel, best resource I know of for posture correction is www.mobilitywod.com It's a commitment, but try starting at the beginning and working through. Before you've finished you'll have all the tools you need.

Caporegime
Solid advice. Only just got a chance to watch the videos and I was about to post the same thing, i.e. loose upper back, not enough tension in your lats and mid back. Your arms are just meant to be hooks for the weight, but your back needs to be braced and tight. This all ties in with bringing your chest through; in both of the pictures above we should see chests in front of arms.

Thanks as well, will take note :)

Caporegime
Woke up with a sore throat, blocked nose and legs that feel like jelly. Squatting's not going to be fun later but my bench, which would've been a 3 rep PB had I managed it, is going to be a write off :(
Breezed squats but had absolutely no energy for my bench and only managed 2 heavily spotted reps at a weight I was confident of getting 3 very easily before I woke up today. Being ill sucks :mad:

Soldato
Hi guys

Just wondering if you lovely gentleman could help me out

I'm doing the Movember thing, and have agreed from Monday onwards to dress up like Hulk Hogan in the full outfit, got the wig, the vest, yellow leggings, boots and a toy belt. And bleaching my tash over the weekend

Unfortunatly as a cheap student I'm not able to donate, but having worn a hulk hogan outfit before I recommend tie-dying the leggings red/yellow and getting some feather boas ;D

On that note I'm sure I've joined a facebook group called "thinking you're hulk hogan because you go to the gym".... :p

edit: Didn't really realise movember was for such a good cause! Tempted to copy your idea and do it myself to raise a little cash :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Such a **** session. Gym was rammed. I almost turned around and didn't bother but as it was later than normal i figured it would empty out pretty quick. Oh how i was wrong.
There was a group of 6, a group of 4 and a few groups of 3. SIX?!!? Shouldn't be allowed. And to make it worse they spend way more time chatting and posing than working out. Had to do squats middle of the session which resulted in me nearly blacking out on the 2nd set :o
Didn't even get to do flat bench press, cable flys or side raises.
Oh and at the end i curled in the squat rack because all the premade bars were taken. Come the **** at me. In the 1 hour 15m i was there i was the only person to squat or deadlift, rack is only ever used for shrugs etc so i thought screw it and went to curl in it.

/rant

Took a few pics so might post them once i take a look on the pc, can never tell if they suck or not on my phone

In happier news i'm up 11lbs in 7 weeks. Probably a bit too much but most likely some water from creatine. Gonna keep around the same calories until 16th Dec and see if i can hit 190lbs :p Then maintenance (or as near as festivities allow :o) over xmas

Man of Honour
First two sessions of the 5 rep phase were trickier than they should be, but hopefully it's just a speed issue (doing high reps for a long time slowing me down).

A Day
Squats 190kgx5x3 - sloooooow, but not too much bother
Dips bw+42.5kgx5x3 - slight shoulder niggle, but fine
Pullups bw+7.5x5x3 - potentially a little easy, but I'm finishing on a good weight
HC2PP 80kgx5x3 - horrible! But satisfying.

B Day
Deadlifts 200kgx5x3 still with a slight deficit because of the plates :(
Bench 105kgx5x3 found the right grip position on the last set. Played with a little leg drive - still can't do it!
DB row 46kgx5x3 - DBs only go up to 50 so I'm having to go 46, 48, 50. Too light.
Arnold press 30kgx5x3 - possibly a little light.

Warmed up with some low box squats, which was pretty silly! Must only do those on off days in future. Finished with some power shrugs up to 270kgx3, had to stop there as there were no more plates! Slightly frustrating couple of sessions...

Associate
man 190kg for 5 reps. Can't imagine doing that, let alone 3 sets. I did a single of 180kg not long ago and that felt hard just supporting the weight!

How are you finding HST? Is it working for you?

I am just looking at starting a cycle. I have collected some injuries over the last month, so I am hoping the 15s will allow my joints and connective tissue some time to repair. Pulled my left glute and have a creaking right knee at the moment :/

Caporegime
Legs yesterday...It was a pants session as well as a good session =/

Squats where just naff, i'm just naff at them, just find they aren't going anywhere for some reason. My balance on squats is just terrible in general, will upload two videos later for extreme criticism...They look terrible.

On the plus side, did some nice leg curls (if thats the right term), reverse curls as well which works wonders and puts me in much pain :p Also figured out how to actually use the damn curl attachment properly now, seems the rubber roller was missing, with it on make it work your legs so much better :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom