*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Loving not having DOMS that bad these days, it seems I'm finally eating enough! Let's hope I can put a bit of muscle on.

Back/Forearms went well yesterday, cranked up to the next weight on most exercises, but my reversse grip BOR was terrible. I didn't realise I was using an olymipic bar vs shorter bar so the first set had bad form as I was confused by it feeling heavy (only did 5 reps before my W.T.F moment), plus I didn't stick my bum out enough so was too upright and putting strain on the back. I'll be trying Deadlifts at the weekend (sun) for the first time in over a year, nice and light with good technique and loads of reps!

Soldato
Pretty tasty session today. Felt a slight niggle in my back on the walk to the gym :o so i went easy on squats and didn't deadlift.
9,6 controlled BW pullups which is a new best. should get 10,10 soon.

was gonna take a new pic when i got in but my mum rang me and now i've lost my pump. fml

nice lifting LiE, made it look easy :p

it's about here, should i foam roll/hockey ball it?

capture2uh.jpg

I've had a niggle in exactly the same place for a week or 2 now too. I should really look in to the whole 'foam roll/hockey ball it' :eek:

Soldato
Smashing it with a hockey ball worked wonders. A couple of minutes of excruciating self inflicted pain and it was gone :D Hard to comprehend something that hurts so much is actually doing good

Soldato
Extend your thoracic spine over something (back of a chair, foam roller, pvc pipe, etc.)...

I've just done some youtube trawling, and I'm going to dump it all unceremoniously here

Shoulders:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/08/sign-papers-old-man.html

God I ****ing hate you! :p

Watched that video last night, stuck my arm behind my back, and it seems I really really REALLY struggle to make my shoulder stay behind my back without internally rotating - it takes a LOT of positioning and fidgeting to get it in to the right place, and that's without holding on to a pole!

I'm guessing I need to smash the ant delt and pec join with a ball, and do those stretches for a while? :(

Man of Honour
Edit: Skillmister, yes, hockey ball until there is change.

I'm pre-empting that you won't pick up your TV, so in short, are you going to Bristol tomorrow and do you want a lift? I'll be going ~1-2pm.

Oh and to make it on topic, I'm still a member of the gym you just joined so we can go and you can moan at the shonky capabilities of the bars :D

Man of Honour
Ooh, also...

I've been noticing lately how bent my right knee and lower leg is....it's ridiculous...Almost like I have rickets in one leg :o

Hard to explain, but it's really bugging me
Probably because you have one leg longer than the other. I have it slightly, it's nothing to worry about.
God I ****ing hate you! :p

Watched that video last night, stuck my arm behind my back, and it seems I really really REALLY struggle to make my shoulder stay behind my back without internally rotating - it takes a LOT of positioning and fidgeting to get it in to the right place, and that's without holding on to a pole!

I'm guessing I need to smash the ant delt and pec join with a ball, and do those stretches for a while? :(
:D

Yep get on all that stuff. Depending on how bad it is, it could take a month or so to fix fully.

As I've said before, even if you haven't noticed a problem (pain), you should still work through this stuff. You might get lucky and never get pain, but if you fix all your restrictions and positional problems then you'll perform better and look better.
I'm pre-empting that you won't pick up your TV, so in short, are you going to Bristol tomorrow and do you want a lift? I'll be going ~1-2pm.

Oh and to make it on topic, I'm still a member of the gym you just joined so we can go and you can moan at the shonky capabilities of the bars :D
Yes!

And oh god the bars! Might get to break my first bar at this place, then with swelling team of lawyers I shall sue the pants off them ;)

Soldato
Guys,

Do you think that the reason I couldn't get to sleep last night (even though I was exhausted) was because I ate a carb rich meal at approx 7:30; chips and pizza?

I went to bed at ~10:30 and couldn't sleep for about 2 hours! Wondering if it's due to carb overload?

Also, regarding general eating, I'm now eating lunch out so in a situation where it is either simple carbs or no carbs, is it best to avoid eating simple carbs or should I eat them just for the sake of getting some carbs?

I seem to be eating them in my evening meal too. :\

Man of Honour
If you're having them with some fats and protein anyway then their breakdown will be slowed, personally I'd rather get in something rather than nothing if you feel you need the carbs.

Soldato
Not meant as a dig - but why can't you eat something better?

Not at home, no reheating facilities, can't eat bread, nuts (in large quantities), milk, whey, or too much peanut butter, minimal space to carry any food with me, I can fit a banana and a bottle of water and some small bits. The canteen only really has rice, chips, potatoes etc.

Costing me about £7 a day at the moment! £3 for breakfast and roughly £4 for lunch. :o

Recent diet has been:

• Porridge/museli
  • Hemp shake in fruit juice
  • 3 eggs, 3 bacon slices (or something else) with beans
  • Chicken escalope in a white bap or with chips/briyani/roast dinner with potatoes << It's this meal that will most likely be simple carbs
  • Something for dinner, lasagne etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys,

Do you think that the reason I couldn't get to sleep last night (even though I was exhausted) was because I ate a carb rich meal at approx 7:30; chips and pizza?

I have a carb rich meal before i go to bed and i sleep fine. You may have just had a moment where you struggled to sleep, it happens to everyone, it's frustrating, but you have to just accept it and try other methods to fall to sleep, like reading a book, watching a film etc.

Caporegime
Probably because you have one leg longer than the other. I have it slightly, it's nothing to worry about.

Heh....It's quite bad...

If I straighten my leg up so it's the same as my other leg there's definitely some twisting going on there :o :( I notice it when I'm walking dogs too, feels odd on that one leg.

Guys,

I went to bed at ~10:30 and couldn't sleep for about 2 hours! Wondering if it's due to carb overload?

Also, regarding general eating, I'm now eating lunch out so in a situation where it is either simple carbs or no carbs, is it best to avoid eating simple carbs or should I eat them just for the sake of getting some carbs?

I seem to be eating them in my evening meal too. :\

They must sell something other than chips? Surely? Otherwise, get a jacket potato and some beans with cheese, then make up for the protein later in the evening.

It's not ideal, but hey, things have to be done certain ways sometimes.

Man of Honour
Heh....It's quite bad...

If I straighten my leg up so it's the same as my other leg there's definitely some twisting going on there :o :( I notice it when I'm walking dogs too, feels odd on that one leg.
Twisting? I may have misunderstood what you meant.

Can you take a picture?

Associate
LOL! It was so funny being approached by someone randomly in Essex - are you from OcUK?! lol!

You make me sound like a bicep monkeh though! :( ;)

I still think I look powerful, and do still have a lot of strength, I just haven't got the full on bulk I did before. :)

Well I'm afraid I don't have much experience in approaching hunky men... :o:D

I know you're probably the furthest you can be from a bicep monkey but those arms...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom