*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Did legs earlier today, good session, think I should be able to increase my squat next session too. Still feel it a bit on the knees though, especially when going super low. :\

Also, Icecold, if you read this can you recommend something for helping the muscle directly behind the knee please? Not quite the calf so I guess it's the hamstring? Basically it randomly tightens up a bit, no pain or anything and it can happen at random times like around the house, just so happened to have it in the gym today, feels OK now though??? Also my shoulders click when doing any shoulder work, even on seated pressnow :( will have a read through your thread because I'm sure I read quite a bit of stuff on shoulders in there before or in this thread.
If it's behind your knee then it might be slightly more complicated. Make sure your knees aren't going too far forwards over your toes and are being pushed out wide at all points.

Work through the hamstring stuff in the mobility thread, and try putting a lacrosse ball behind your knee and bringing heal to bum (video on this too... for creaky knees iirc).
that's excellent, already started doing the first 3 and some pull throughs.

as I said I've been taking it easy, here's what I did tonight, 130x10.
Camera angle is rubbish but I think I got a bit more leg drive and the back is always locked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-YRNPNWAA
Form is more or less spot on. You're still slightly loose in your lower back, glutes could be activated more and your hips come up a little too early on a few reps. Also, try to make the movement more explosive.

I'd work on fewer reps with similar weights, increasing week by week.

Soldato
Sorry, when I meant behind the knee I meant the back of the leg, not actually inside the knee, if that makes sense, or is that how you interpreted it? :o
I do focus on keeping the knees locked out but will keep an eye on the toes. As mentioned, most of the time it happens randomly, this is the first time it happened in the gym. Will check out those vids!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Form is more or less spot on. You're still slightly loose in your lower back, glutes could be activated more and your hips come up a little too early on a few reps. Also, try to make the movement more explosive.

I'd work on fewer reps with similar weights, increasing week by week.

Cheers mate, really appreciate the feedback!

I know the form is not 100% yet - I still have to "think" the movement if that makes sense - it's not a reflex yet but it's good to hear that I'm on the right track. :)
I also started to do some of the mobility exercises so should hopefully get even better in time.
As for the weight increase - that is my last set of my 10s on HST. I'm not pushing myself weight wise as form is a priority for now. Will move on to the 5s with probably something like 135x5, 140x5 145x5. I'd rather have less weight but spotless form and learn this properly.

Soldato
another good session last night in a nice empty gym. It appears it's just my wednesday sessions that are annoying now, so i may move them to before work.

Really enjoying stronglifts - i feel like i am gaining functional strength rather than just pumped arms.

Caporegime
Shrug = 8 x 3
Seated Dumbell Press = 8 x 3
Standing Scarecrow = 8 x 3
Lateral Raise = 8 x 3

It was my first time doing standing scarecrow (might be called something else on here, I got it from men's health). I really felt it work my shoulder muscles but surely it can't make them this sore from one exercise! My shoulders haven't been this sore since I first started doing weight training, I just hope I haven't damaged the muscles.

Just be careful with the scarecrows and your shoulder, particularly the rotator-cuff, don't want to over do it.

Associate
Caporegime
Maybe im wrong but isn't horse meat banned/illegal? sure it was...

there's a guy in the la cuisine part of the forum that ordered it im sure. along with zebra, etc.

it's controversial but i doubt it's illegal. i think the only type of meat that would be illegal is human meat and endangered species, etc.

Soldato
I tried horse once in france, as far as i remember it was pretty tasty. Getting on for 10 years ago now though.

I don't see why it would be any better to eat from a bbing perspective than say beef though, the nutrional values are pretty much the same.

Man of Honour
Maybe im wrong but isn't horse meat banned/illegal? sure it was...

Nope, nothing illegal about it. They set up a stall selling it on one of Jamie Olivers shows I think it was, the police did stop it but that was because he was doing it outside one of the big horse races and they felt it was in bad taste :D

Soldato
First session back in just under 3 weeks today, damn left trap injury, one of the most painful lifting related injuries i've endured. Hammy is still not worth competing with though :(

Chest today
Back tomorrow
Shoulders on wednesday (with legs, once I can)
rest
rinse and repeat

My diet has been about 1.5k-2k cals through the period too, it's a tough road ahead!!! Xmas will see no problem getting the cals in though!

Soldato
Nope, nothing illegal about it. They set up a stall selling it on one of Jamie Olivers shows I think it was, the police did stop it but that was because he was doing it outside one of the big horse races and they felt it was in bad taste :D

I'd imagine with horses being so lean it is top quality meat as well!

Caporegime
I tried horse once in france, as far as i remember it was pretty tasty. Getting on for 10 years ago now though.

I don't see why it would be any better to eat from a bbing perspective than say beef though, the nutrional values are pretty much the same.

Horse Meat

Horse Meat is one of our more controversial meats but the facts remain that it is healthy, with lots of iron and half the fat of beef and far more Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Horse meat is slightly gamey and packed with protein. It?s a must try for exotic meat lovers.

Bison Meat

Our Bison meat comes from the grasslands of North America, it can also sometimes be known as Buffalo meat. Bison is a lean red meat that is extremely tender and full of flavour. It contains valuable antioxidants essential for the immune system which also play a key role in lowering blood pressure as well as being 97% fat free and containing 40% more protein than Beef!

Kangaroo Meat

There are more Kangaroos in Australia than people, approximately 3 million more in fact and Kangaroos are one of the most numerous large, wild land mammals on earth. It's also another one of our meats that has been approved by the Australian Heart Foundation because of the extremely low levels of fat and high levels of protein, iron, zinc and omega 3. The meat is tender, succulent and completely delicious!

Ostrich Meat

Ostrich is one of the finest quality red meats available. The flavours and texture of Ostrich meat can be compared to a high quality Beef fillet and you get the added health benefits of high levels of iron and protein and extremely low levels of fat and cholesterol. We have a mouth watering variety of Ostrich meat products available. You will find a favourite and traditional meat will never taste as good ever again

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah but if you look at someone that gets plenty of fats in their diet from eggs and nuts and is after a big protein hit, at least with horse meat you can get the protein without the fat and all the benefits of red meat =)

Soldato
Horse Meat
Horse Meat is one of our more controversial meats but the facts remain that it is healthy, with lots of iron and half the fat of beef and far more Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Horse meat is slightly gamey and packed with protein. It?s a must try for exotic meat lovers.

1VHzA.jpg

Good for you or not, i'll stick to beef for now with it being cheap(ish) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom