*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Been doing stronglifts for 6 weeks now and hit my first failure tonight :(

Overhead Press - for some reason I keep leaning back a little after each rep and thus failed tonights lift at 40kg :\

Back at it on wednesday though :)

Man of Honour
So its ok to use yeah? :)

A power rack is fine to use but then again I'd also say a Smith Machine isn't necessarily terrible to use if it's what you've got available. In preference free weights are better because you'll follow a more natural path of motion and include more stabalising muscles but if it's a choice between a Smith Machine or nothing then take what's on offer - the motion isn't completely natural but c'est la vie.

Associate
Worked bicep & shoulders yesterday. I must have done something wrong cause my shoulders/top part of my back are so sore and painful this morning, I can barely move my shoulders. Hopefully I haven't injured myself..

Soldato
Does anyone else find an increase in perspiration whilst on a training regime?

Since starting training after 3/4 weeks off I have noticed an increase in perspiration when not actually doing anything, for example I am sat down at the moment with a single layer on. It's not in huge quantities but it's certainly more than before I was working out.

Is this because my body is burning calories more effectively?

Last edited:

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Hi all,

Started training again after 3 years off a few weeks ago, Ive had a couple of PT sessions to get some techniques and stuff and to make sure i wont be injuring myself. At the moment I'm doing a 3 day split, of:

Day 1: Chest and Triceps

Day 3: Legs and Cardio

Day 5: Back and Biceps

And in beetween then I play football also (so more cardio). I also walk everywhere so cardio there too, so my engine is quite good.

The problem Im having so far is with getting the weights right; On chest and triceps for example, I do 10 reps of 12kg dumbells on incline chest press, followed immediately by 10 reps of 6kg on a incline chest fly.

I do this 3 times, then I go and do some other exercises (the guy showed me the pyramid thing with the weight machine, so 10 x 8kg, 9 x 10kg etc and back down), but i find my arms are totally gassed after about 40 minutes, and If i try and do any more chest presses, shoulder presses etc i can do about 2-3 reps before having to back out. Is it worth dropping down from 12kg bells to 10kg for now until i can get it done for an hour, or it the amount not really a problem?

Soldato
My Overhead press is a like a yo-yo at the moment. I get it to 65kg for a few sets and then sometimes I stuggle lifting 60kg. Just been reading the SL article on it, so hopefully can actually increase the weight at some point.

Soldato
Does anyone else find an increase in perspiration whilst on a training regime?

Since starting training after 3/4 weeks off I have noticed an increase in perspiration when not actually doing anything, for example I am sat down at the moment with a single layer on. It's not in huge quantities but it's certainly more than before I was working out.

Is this because my body is burning calories more effectively?

I believe I've read that improved fitness/body means you're more effective at cooling your body down (through sweating), that plus increased metabolism could result in it.

Associate
What lifts did you do for your shoulders?

Shrug = 8 x 3
Seated Dumbell Press = 8 x 3
Standing Scarecrow = 8 x 3
Lateral Raise = 8 x 3

It was my first time doing standing scarecrow (might be called something else on here, I got it from men's health). I really felt it work my shoulder muscles but surely it can't make them this sore from one exercise! My shoulders haven't been this sore since I first started doing weight training, I just hope I haven't damaged the muscles.

Last edited:
Associate
Howdy Gym Rat Thread, im returning to the gym after a 12 year off period. :D

I found some of the old magazines when i first got into training last millennium and to put into context, at the time they were full of pics of Yates, Ray, Leverone, Dillet, matarazzo, sonbaty, priest

Im now 37, let s see if this "muscle memory" thing is real, itching for the iron again :p

Soldato
Been doing stronglifts for 6 weeks now and hit my first failure tonight :(

Overhead Press - for some reason I keep leaning back a little after each rep and thus failed tonights lift at 40kg :\

Back at it on wednesday though :)

Dont worry, im in the same boat as you. Just take it back a bit and then go up bit by bit. You read the guide on overhead press on SL site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom