*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
My legs are fine for the time being, I do them every so often but not weekly.

I can handle tricep/back/chest in one session. I have quite a few compound exercises so I can hit 2/3 muscles at the same time which helps.

I don't mean to be offensive, but there's so much wrong with your outlook it's not even funny.

You should work legs if you want to train anything else, it really is vital to building a good upper body. You won't grow anywhere near as much as you are able to without training legs at the same time.

If you're training properly then there's no way you'll be able to do chest and back in the same session without hindering your progress. They're very big muscle groups, it makes sense to space them out like you would legs from chest or back, for example.

Soldato
If you're training properly then there's no way you'll be able to do chest and back in the same session without hindering your progress. They're very big muscle groups, it makes sense to space them out like you would legs from chest or back, for example.

Unless you're doing a full body workout. I used to do a split that had back and chest on the same day, it was doable, but it felt wrong mentally, i do a full body workout now as i'm busy these days, and i find it to be really beneficial, but yeah, i advise as well not to do chest and back on the same day if you're not doing a full body workout.

Soldato
Bad deadlift session last night, was lifting 160kg and felt a burning sensation (more like pain) in lower back (left side) and now it feels like I've pulled/overstretched a muscle:mad:. Looks like I wont be doing weights for awhile, while it heals up!

Last edited:
Soldato
Icecold, quicky for you or anyone else that han an opinion on the subject really:
You mention different rep ranges for strength or size training, as most people have a grasp on. However, can you share some details on the rest periods? Currently following a stronglifts-style routine, so 5x5 and I'm sticking to 30second rests. Is that okay?

Caporegime
No you're right, don't listen to us, we know nowt :)

Pipe Down Monkee!!! :mad: :p

I mean that you start slightly bent over at the hip, and it looks like your knees are a little bent too.

I don't have a video already uploaded with an angle that shows it well, and it'll take a few days to film and upload a new one because I'll have to use my girlfriends internet :)mad:). I'll try to remember though, earliest I can take it is friday, then maybe upload it over the weekend. There should be some good examples on youtube, search for powerlifting squats.

The problem you'll be having is simple movement programming - you're used to moving in the the way you are moving. A simple concept really, but one that requires some work and concentration to compensate for when you want to move differently. As an exercise, from now on every time you sit down try to keep your shins more vertical and to sit back (without using your hands to support you!). The same with standing up; knees out, drive up through the heals bringing your hips through underneath you.

Thanks ice, if you could get a side on angle it would REALLY help me, i'm going to try and stick my arse out somehow next Monday, otherwise i'll try before then with BW...

I just feel that if my shins are bolt upright i'm going to fall backwards, I have a big arse man!

But yes, i'll look at some powerlifting squats and see what comes up :)

Crap deadlift session for me tonight. Managed another DOH PB but felt like I was using far more back than last week. Lats were also aching once I had finished which doesn't usually happen. Having said that my hamstrings are burning so it could just be a heavily fatigued back feeling it more than usual.

May I ask...whats a DOH? Other than homer?

Soldato
I do a minutes rest between sets, some say 2 minutes for heavy compound movements, but i usually stick between 1-1.30 minutes.

Is that derived through a logical process, or just a habbit you've picked up over the years?

i'm going to try and stick my arse out somehow next Monday, otherwise i'll try before then with BW...

Definitely do it before then. Just grab a barbell with like 20kg in total, and practice it with that. Just do 3 sets of 5, so it's not going to affect recovery at all.

May I ask...whats a DOH? Other than homer?

I can only assume he means Dumbell OverHead (press)

Caporegime
Definitely do it before then. Just grab a barbell with like 20kg in total, and practice it with that. Just do 3 sets of 5, so it's not going to affect recovery at all.

I can only assume he means Dumbell OverHead (press)

Ah...makes sense I guess :p

Yeah i've got a barbell at home so may try there...I just tried with BW and fell on my arse due to keeping my shins 'up'.

It just doesn't work for me

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bad deadlift session last night, was lifting 160kg and felt a burning sensation (more like pain) in lower back (left side) and now it feels like I've pulled/overstretched a muscle:mad:. Looks like I wont be doing weights for awhile, while it heals up!

Lower back should always be safe in a deadlift unless the form isn't right.

Soldato
I read about rest times on exrx.net, but i've found a minutes or so rest between sets works for me, so i stick with it.

Just had a read, and seems I should be going with a much longer rest than 30 seconds! I was thinking intensity was going to be a plus point, but seems I'm just over-fatiguing myself........?

Caporegime
Might seem silly for no reason, but I'd go if it means you can get your squats sussed :)

It's money mate, if I had the money i'd do it...If this gym wasn't free I wouldn't be able to go at the moment :(

May have to see if I can sort a random day or something and pop over, I dunno. That or wait for BennyC to get his home gym sorted :p

Soldato
Just got an email from myprotein, they are doing their first in-store trial at the Dudley Tesco which is 5 minutes from me! Apparentely they are giving away free tasters and samples including help & advice. Hopefully I'll be able to grab some decent stuff and if they actually sell their products there it will be really helpful :)

Do you mind telling me where this is exactly as I am in the Dudley area. If I am near, I might fancy just popping in if I am passing to see whats on show / offer.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom