*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Just had a read, and seems I should be going with a much longer rest than 30 seconds! I was thinking intensity was going to be a plus point, but seems I'm just over-fatiguing myself........?

From the Stronglifts PDF:

'Start with 1min rest between sets. If you struggle to get all reps, take more rest before
doing the next set, up to 5mins if necessary'

Martin (the leangains.com fella) tweeted (@Martinberkhan if your interested) a study from the states that showed that 3-5 minutes is optimum ...so I personaly just aim for 3.

If I can find the tweet Ill post the link to the study.

EDIT : Study : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993029
Key bit being ' The results indicated significantly greater BP repetitions with 3 or 5 minutes vs. 1 minute between sets (p ≤ 0.05); no significant difference was evident between the 3- and 5-minute rest conditions.'

Last edited:
Associate
yeah id agree volumes important and knowing what works for you is also important.

But if your not sure...its a good place to start.

Ive linked the study in my other post now.
Believe that was based on 5 sets of 10 reps and Ive always aired on the side of more rest the higher up your max weight you go. So lower reps = longer rest.

Soldato
Wow, THAT long? I've always figured 1 minute was a long time to wait, would never have dreamt of waiting two or even THREE(?!) minutes between sets of 5 reps!

I say listen to your body, if you feel you're able to hit the next set sooner, then by all means go for it, if you don't feel you're able to hit it sooner, wait a bit longer.

Soldato
The difference is people training with people and not training with people.

A five minute rest is nothing if you have a training partner

Having a training partner doesn't really change rest times unless you're just there to chat. A 10 rep set doesn't take much more than 30 seconds, another 30 to swap weights

Soldato
Having a training partner doesn't really change rest times unless you're just there to chat. A 10 rep set doesn't take much more than 30 seconds, another 30 to swap weights

I think he means 5 minutes stood by yourself takes AGES. 5 minutes will fly by when you're having a chat with your mate between sets :)

Man of Honour
Icecold, quicky for you or anyone else that han an opinion on the subject really:
You mention different rep ranges for strength or size training, as most people have a grasp on. However, can you share some details on the rest periods? Currently following a stronglifts-style routine, so 5x5 and I'm sticking to 30second rests. Is that okay?
For strength training there are no real benefits in struggling to keep rests low, it's all about moving the weight for the desired reps. The only danger is going cold, but I've probably had rests of more than 5 mins. Speed work is a little different as you aren't fatiguing yourself in the same way, so I try to keep rests to around 2 mins.

With mass training, for whatever reason, keeping rests low seems to help rests short. From a strength training point of view, this is starting the next set before you've recovered, so less weight is needed. I've seen anything below 2 minutes suggested.

30 seconds is probably too low. Try around two minutes.

Soldato
Okay, had my bodyfat measured with callipers today, not actually as high as I thought it'd be - apparently I'm at 14.1%! the worst deposits are on the front of my hips and surprisingly the bottom of my stomach (below belly button).

He told me stop cut gluten out my diet completely and that my protein shakes (40g whey, heaped tspn oats and water) will be causing massive insulin spikes...... Think I'll leave my diet as is, as it seems to be working for me so far!

One thing he did recommend when I mentioned my rest timing malarkey was to start super setting my work out if I want to incorate 2minute rests,else I'll end up in the gym for most the evening xD

Associate
Been a while since I've posted, mainly just lurking, picking up bits here and there, especially from the fountain of knowledge that is Icecold (many thanks man, some of your advice is invaluable, especially the mobility stuff and has helped me a LOT).

He told me stop cut gluten out my diet completely and that my protein shakes (40g whey, heaped tspn oats and water) will be causing massive insulin spikes......
Can anyone elaborate on the truth behind this please? Just had a quick look and all I get is conflicting advice.

Reason I ask is I've been pretty busy lately (and admittedly a bit lazy about food prep) and am having shakes for breakfast / post workout / before bed, ie. between 2-3 a day.

Soldato
What do you do, spend 15 minutes beforehand doing your makeup :confused:

Jesus, who put sand in your vagina? Chill out man :p

He's got a point, I finish work at 4, on the gym floor at 4:15, doing say 6 different exercises with 2 minutes testing is like 60 minutes of resting, plus say the 20 minutes spent physically shifting the weight, then the 10 minutes cardio I do after - you end up spending the whole night there :) plus the half hour it takes me to drive back in peak traffic! so I can see the benefit in super setting. :)

Altho granted 2 hrs is a lot of time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom