*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can anyone elaborate on the truth behind this please? Just had a quick look and all I get is conflicting advice.

I can see truth in it if your whey is heavily flavoured, you're having it with milk and mixing in nutella. Oats and water shouldn't instigate a big insulin spike even with MP flavoured whey in my opinion.

Associate
I can see truth in it if your whey is heavily flavoured, you're having it with milk and mixing in nutella. Oats and water shouldn't instigate a big insulin spike even with MP flavoured whey in my opinion.

I've admittedly been having the flavoured with milk recently as it tastes FAR better and also I just plain love milk (used to get through 15-20 pints/w when I was younger). Might cut the milk out of two of them and compensate with some nuts or something, probably need to address the amount I'm drinking anyway.

Associate
I don't mean to be offensive, but there's so much wrong with your outlook it's not even funny.

You should work legs if you want to train anything else, it really is vital to building a good upper body. You won't grow anywhere near as much as you are able to without training legs at the same time.

If you're training properly then there's no way you'll be able to do chest and back in the same session without hindering your progress. They're very big muscle groups, it makes sense to space them out like you would legs from chest or back, for example.

Is it really true because I just don't understand how training legs can relate to how well your upper body develops, I haven't researched much into it. Is there any articles on this or something? I'm not one of these guys who will ignore good advice, I just haven't thought much about how training legs can relate to training my upper body ect :p. I'm not very experienced with this either (I have only recently got the hang of it to be honest). But yeah thanks for pointing this out, I want to do whatever I can to get to a decent size and strength.

Also, I think I may have confused you haha, yesterday was the first time I added training my back into chest/triceps. I had the day off because of the strikes so decided to try it out since I had a few hours to spare haha.

Since we're on the subject of back & legs, can anyone suggest some exercises for me? I have a barbell/dumbbell set and a bench with a rack for bench press. Here's my routine at the moment (I've just added the legs exercises now, they any good?)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've admittedly been having the flavoured with milk recently as it tastes FAR better and also I just plain love milk (used to get through 15-20 pints/w when I was younger). Might cut the milk out of two of them and compensate with some nuts or something, probably need to address the amount I'm drinking anyway.

Don't worry about shakes causing an insulin spike, it really is a non-issue with the ratios of protein, carbs and fats you typically find in them. Having milk or even a carb source like oats won't do much to affect your insulin response.

scott212, my advice regarding your diet would just be reiterating what icecold said so I won't bother! It looks fine component-wise, but without knowing a macro breakdown it's difficult to make sound suggestions apart from just.. 'more'!

Last edited:
Soldato
Prepare yourselves for one of the most horrific videos from the crossfit massive.

mother-of-god.png

Caporegime
What do you do, spend 15 minutes beforehand doing your makeup :confused:

Even with that long ass routine i posted above, with long rests between most sets i'm never in for more than 1:15, and thats in a busy gym.

Well I warm my shoulders on most days, as I've had a previous injury...I also stretch a fair whack.

Then theres changing weights over etc

I dunno :(

Soldato
Hmm gym closes at 12:30 tomorrow because of the 'staff christmas dinner'. Nice. So going to have my first morning workout in approximately 6 months :p

Back still not fixed so will do 5s this time but with no squats or deads. Oh and probably no BoRs i guess.

Caporegime
Hmm gym closes at 12:30 tomorrow because of the 'staff christmas dinner'. Nice. So going to have my first morning workout in approximately 6 months :p

Back still not fixed so will do 5s this time but with no squats or deads. Oh and probably no BoRs i guess.

That sucks =/

Are you doing stronglifts in a sense then?

I need to look up stronglifts and how all this 5's 10's and 15's malarky works :( Probably do me good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom