*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Stretch your glutes and anterior hip/quads and see how that feels.

Leave your lower back alone for a few days and just have a couple of beach days in the gym (no lower body, not even machines), and stretch/foam roll/lacrosse ball the bits I mentioned for a few minutes every day. Also, search youtube for "walking spiderman" you might need to add "stretch" or "mobilisation" in there too to get relevant results.

Been doing all that for a week, haven't touched lower body once since monday. Stretches give some relief for a bit but not long. It's like a mixture of doms and the feeling straight after a set of deads. I'll give that a look

Man of Honour
I wouldn't actually stretch your lower back, a bit of soft tissue work is ok though.

Tight glutes could be taking up some slack in your posterior chain causing you to compensate with lumbar spine extension.

Tight anterior hip/quads could be forcing you into lordosis (check in the mirror).

You might need to go back to basics temporarily and reteach your lower back/core how to work. Hopefully this isn't the case, but it isn't the end of the world. Also try pallof presses and properly done planks.

Man of Honour
Makes sense. Not the same thing as lordosis, but they can be associated. Planks + loosening up your anterior hip will help address that, and should begin to pull you out of any lordosis.

Soldato
Anyone give me a spot of advice.

I'm doing dumbbell flat and incline chest presses, and finding that one arm/side of me gives up before the other.

So I could carry on pushing with one arm for a few more reps (if I wanted to, I don't), but the other just can't continue.

It's my right side that gives up first, which is the hand I write with and presume should be stronger!

Is this common? What should I do?

Man of Honour
Just keep at it, it will soon balance itself out. Like you say it's very common. My left arm was much weaker to start with, got tired faster, but it eventually evened out without doing anything different for it

Soldato
I have now nearly hit my gain target. I was 76.5Kg in April, and have just about 1kg to go before I hit 90Kg, so will hopefully hit that before new year. I then want to go on a cut.

Do you guys recommend coming off the Creatine for a cut? Do I also carry on with my normal weights routine (Dorian Yates based one) but add in some HIIT cardio for most rapid fat loss?

Associate
70kg dead lifts done again, working on improving my form before I up the weight.
Also managed to lengths of the prowler with a total weight of 110kg.
Quite pleased with tonight's fun.

Caporegime
Why is it i can screw my back up on reasonably light DLs with decent form, yet the morons in the gym lifting 3x what they should be with a back shaped like a C get away with it

Never nice when your back goes :(...

As has already been said, get some ball work on it (which you have been doing I think) It's just a matter of time sadly man.

Caporegime
FAO Icecold - And LiE and everyone else :p

It was legs again yesterday, so I lowered the weight, and did 3x8 after warming up with the bat and then some...Really tried to stick my bum out this time :o Didn't work much though :(

Last week:

This week:

I just think i'm too lanky for proper squat form :o....;)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Form looks good Delvis. Question is, are you driving with the correct muscles? On such a low weight I'd expect to see you powering through with the glutes, but to me it doesn't look like that's happening.

The first rep of the 2nd video you knees collapse, make sure you form them out all the time. Some of the other reps I can see some knee wobble too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Form looks good but when you come up, sometimes it just doesn't look "right", can't explain it

Tell you something that helped me to start with, and Rob showed me. Put two plates, the smallest possible (in my case 1.25kg) where your feet are positioned. And put your heels on those. It helps your feet stay completely still during the movement, and stops your heels coming off the ground. Helped me form greatly

Caporegime
Form looks good Delvis. Question is, are you driving with the correct muscles? On such a low weight I'd expect to see you powering through with the glutes, but to me it doesn't look like that's happening.

The first rep of the 2nd video you knees collapse, make sure you form them out all the time. Some of the other reps I can see some knee wobble too.

I believe I am, I try and squeeze my glutes anyway...But yes, the knee's collapsing is me forgetting to keep pressure on them, just a case of practice I guess.

Things felt better, it might just be me over thinking. (Keep back tight, keep knees out, drive with the glutes etc etc)

Is there a way you 'activate' your glutes? So they definitely get used? As I might be struggling there

Form looks good but when you come up, sometimes it just doesn't look "right", can't explain it

Tell you something that helped me to start with, and Rob showed me. Put two plates, the smallest possible (in my case 1.25kg) where your feet are positioned. And put your heels on those. It helps your feet stay completely still during the movement, and stops your heels coming off the ground. Helped me form greatly

Hmm...Will try buddy, So i'm putting it under my heals? Not my toes?
I tend to find it's my toes that lift if anything, hell, on the second set I stepped backwards I leaned back so far! :p :o

Many thanks all, I felt like I was doing things differently, so it's good to know there has been some change.

So, are my knees okay in those videos? With regards to not being not straight enough?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Practice with no bar or anything and if the glutes are being used to full effect it should feel like you are about to take off with so much power.

Here is a video I just did so you can see. Notice the power of the glutes causing the snapping action. (best watched in 720p ;))

Caporegime
Thank you for clarifying Steedie.

And cheers LiE....Damn you and your physique though :(...:p

So basically clench my butt? I'll give it a go tonight, seems simple enough :)

Thanks again buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom