*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
@Steedie, on a typical cut if i was to lose say 3-4% bodyfat how much water would i expect to lose without doing any manipulation of sorts and not changing macros around much just dropping the portions/calories. E.g that test thing i had done a while back put me at 12% bf, 64% water, 24% fat free mass

Man of Honour
Totally depends on how much excess water your body tends to hold on too mate

When I did my comp diet, I lost about 8lbs of water weight alone in the first week. But if you're not changing sodium levels or carbs drastically, you won't lose a huge amount, but it will still be a decent amount

Soldato
Honestly don't know :p Can't tell the difference between water and fat really! Is water generally the same as fat in that certain areas hold it more than others?

I guess the only real way to find out is give it a go. I'll be asking for plenty of tips come the new year :D

Associate
I'm just re-organising my routine at the moment. I've been told to replace a few isolation exercises with more compound movements.

I'm still very new to this though! Anyway

For my back & legs day, would doing squats and deadlifts be a good combination?

I was thinking..

Back:

Dead lifts = 8 x 3
One-Arm Dumbbell Row = 8 x 3
Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row with Palms In = 8 x 3

Legs:

Squats = 8 x 3
Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift (Hamstrings) = 8 x 3
Dumbbell Walking Lunges (Quads) = 8 x 3
Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise (Calves) = 8 x 3

Man of Honour
You can hold more water in places than others. But some of the best advice I was given backstage was "if you think you're holding too much water, chances are its just fat"

You'll be amazed at the amount of people who say "I'm holding too much water" when really they just didn't diet down enough. So don't worry too much about water weight buddy, as long as you're drinking enough water and not eating tons of bread or simple carbs, it shouldn't be an issue

Man of Honour
Ross, I really wouldn't do squats and deadlifts on the same day. As they are both huge lifts, and one will suffer by doing the other on the same day.

I'd suggest doing legs and back on a separate day matey, they are the two biggest muscle groups to work, and to do them on the same day means you just won't be able to give them the attention they deserve

Maybe do legs and shoulders? And back with your biceps day?

Soldato
Well top abs are just about visible when tensed, barely anything to pinch on adonis belt so not too much fat i guess. Hasn't gone up at all really since i got measured at 12%, not visually at least. I eat quite a few simple carbs at the moment but i'll change it for cutting. Just want to see abs properly :D plus then i have a decent measure to bulk by aswell by keeping them visible. Not to mention keeping strength up to lifts sound better at a lower bodyweight!

Associate
Oh I see, didn't know that! I've never done deadlifts/squats in my routine lol

Biceps & Back
Triceps & Chest
Shoulders & Legs

If you ever have time could you help me with my routine then?

These are the excercises I've been using..

Biceps:
Barbell Bicep Curl = 8 x 3
Hammer Curl = 8 x 3
Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl / Shoulder Press = 8 x 3

Shoulders:
Shrug = 8 x 3
Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl / Shoulder Press = 8 x 3
Front Two Dumbbell Raise = 8 x 3
Lateral Raise = 8 x 3

Chest:
Barbell Bench Press = 8 x 3
Dumbbell Incline Fly = 8 x 3
Press Ups = 8 x 3

Triceps:

Kickbacks = 8 x 3
Sitting Triceps Extension = 8 x 3
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press = 8 x 3
Press Ups = 8 x 3

Back:
Dead lifts = 8 x 3
One-Arm Dumbbell Row = 8 x 3

Legs:
Squats = 8 x 3
Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift (Hamstrings) = 8 x 3

I realise now that the routine I've been using has so many isolation exercises which requires more time changing weights and makes the workout much longer than it probably needs to be. Plus I got a really good lecture from a guy from Myprotein today at the Tesco, they did their first in-store selling point and the guy there was brilliant, gave me a lot of information regarding compound exercises and how they make you gain the biggest amount of muscle etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Biceps & Back

Wide Grip Pullups 3x15
Deadlifts 3x8
Bent Over Row Barbell 4x10
Seated Cable Row 3x10
Incline DB Curl 3x15
Lying Hammer Curls 4x10
21s 3x21

Triceps & Chest

Incline Bench Press 4x10
Flat Bench 3x10
DB Flies Incline 3x12
Cable Pulldowns 3x15
Overhead Extensions 4x10
Skull Crushers 3x12
Dips 3x8

Shoulders & Legs

Back Squats 3x12
Front Squats 2x10
Leg Press 3x12
Hamstring Curl 3x12
Lunges 2x16
Seated Side Raises 4x10
Front Raises 3x12
Lying Rear Flies 4x10

Associate
Monday (Chest/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press = 8 x 3
Dumbbell Incline Fly = 8 x 3
Kickbacks = 8 x 3
Skull Crushers = 8 x 3
Close Grip Bench Press = 8 x 3

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts = 8 x 3
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows = 8 x 3
Barbell Bicep Curl = 8 x 3
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls = 8 x 3

Friday (Shoulders/Legs)

Shrug = 8 x 3
Seated Dumbbell Press = 8 x 3
Lateral Dumbbell Raises = 8 x 3
Barbell Squats = 8 x 3

Oops didn't see your post. Problem with your routine is that I don't have the equipment to do a few of those. I just have a bench, barbells and dumbbells so I can't do dips/pull ups or any exercises that involve machines. So is my routine ok then mate?

Caporegime
Planned to have one more week of heavy lifting before attempting some PB's the following week but I've struggled for with my compounds and recovery for the last two weeks and I've picked up a cold I can't shift.

Think one more heavy week would probably burn me out so I'm going to have two BW sessions to allow myself to recover then go for it the following week as planned.

Man of Honour
FAO Delvis

Some side by side action:
I didn't realise I had such sexy knees... must wear more shorts.

Not the best video, sorry about that. I was speeding through a workout.

You can (kind of) see that my knee doesn't come forward past my toes, and that I'm sitting back rather than just down. See how you slow down at the top and that your movement is a lot less explosive (granted, you're closer to your max). Bear in mind that this is a warmup for me and every rep is taken seriously. Also, although not in my video, it's a good idea to unrack with a little more purpose.

Other key points will be that my stance is wider than yours and my knees are pushed out (like Lie showed you). Try practising with some bodyweight squats with your toes almost against the wall.

Next time try to get a video from both the side and back so we have a more complete picture of what's going on.

Today's workout was a bit draining, I picked a tough day to try and rush through.

Squats 6x3x180kg a bit slow and gay, short-ish rests were not fun
Bench 5x3x77.5kg nice and speedy
Reverse lunge 2x10x28kg cardio! :o
CGBP 5x85kg, 5x90kg, 5x95kg was trying to find a good working weight, going to do 100kg next time
Face pulls 3x12x36(???)kg some amount of weight on a cable machine

Pigeon_Killer, if you're looking for some big numbers the week after next I'd be doing speed work if I'd been ill.

Caporegime
What do you usually use for DLs?

Standard 7ft olympic bars are 20kg. Our gym has a 5ft 'oly' bar that weighs 15kg.

Normally a standard barbell with 20kg plates added either side and so on :p.

I used the Oly bar due to it being free (which it normally is in my gym) so will probably continue to use it...I'm just wondering about the weight that is all.

I'm guessing theres no 'easy' way to weigh it either :o...Be annoying if it's only 15kg as that would mean my squats are less than they already are!

EDIT:

FAO Delvis

Some side by side action:

SNIP

I didn't realise I had such sexy knees... must wear more shorts.

Not the best video, sorry about that. I was speeding through a workout.

You can (kind of) see that my knee doesn't come forward past my toes, and that I'm sitting back rather than just down. See how you slow down at the top and that your movement is a lot less explosive (granted, you're closer to your max). Bear in mind that this is a warmup for me and every rep is taken seriously. Also, although not in my video, it's a good idea to unrack with a little more purpose.

Other key points will be that my stance is wider than yours and my knees are pushed out (like Lie showed you). Try practising with some bodyweight squats with your toes almost against the wall.

Next time try to get a video from both the side and back so we have a more complete picture of what's going on.

Cheers buddy, it's leg day today so i'm going to give it my best, keep the weight lower as well, see how things go :)...I think by widening my stance it might help with my knee poking out issue. It could also be a mobility issue, as I'm not the most flexible of people anyway.

I found a nice video the other day that 'shows' the different squat styles, i'll try and show it again, as just watching that really showed me how I need to be doing it..I just need to do it now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom