*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I find my core gets hit hard with every exercise I do - but perhaps that's because I'm conscious of it and make a effort to "engage" it?? Whilst I don't have bulging abs, I'm fairly "solid" and things like the plank or leg raised chins are fairly comfortable for me. I should, however, do more core-centric work as I do neglect it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Email in trust, don't know why it was turned off :)

Cheers.

I'll ask here to start with in case others are curious. I want to work on my bench press technique and increase my strength more. It's just a thought at the moment but I do like the idea of doing bench press in a comp. I noticed IPF guidelines on bench press are quite different to how I normally press, things like head coming up aren't allowed and you have to hold the bar at your chest until the referee says push which for rep maxes isn't something I've done.

Do you have any advice on increasing my chest strength?

Need to figure out how to get my legs to drive my upper back into the pad too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, if you want your legs to drive you in to the pad, you need to arch yourself more I would have thought? And consciously push your heals in to the ground

You could take a look at the EliteFTS videos and see if they're more what you're looking for?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea, just not something I'm not used to doing. I'm not interested in doing the extreme powerlifting arc that I see EliteFTS demonstrate. I'm confident I can nail 150kg at the moment with a hold at the bottom. Just want to progress with some more strength. The british record (for my wieght) isn't light years away with some proper training.

Man of Honour
The advantage of the arc is that it minimises the distance moved.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I shall never bench heavy again (shoulder is just too delicate). So will stick to around 100-120kg and that's about it.

I'll concentrate on deads and squats.

Soldato
Is it normal or expected to feel a bit of pain in the sternum the evening and morning after a chest session? It feels quite uncomfortable when I fully breathe out.

Only started happening the last few times as I've gradually upped my weights.

Could it be bad technique, or just my body responding to me trying a bit harder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom