*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
You shouldn't hit your chest at all, should stop about an inch just before you hit your chest, pause very briefly then explode back up to the top

If you're powerlifting, bounce off your chest all you like :)

Soldato
I was using free weights, not a bar. For some reason I'm really crap on that lol!

I didn't do dips either, but I did do some of those last week and my shoulder is playing up a little bit, as you say I must have gone down too far.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bar comes down slowly, touches the chest and I explode up. I don't rest the bar on my chest I take the whole weight at the bottom and hold it. In powerlifting comps you have to hold the bar at your chest until they tell you to press.

This shows a IPF lift - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rEjJ7hOcM4

You shouldn't hit your chest at all, should stop about an inch just before you hit your chest, pause very briefly then explode back up to the top

If you're powerlifting, bounce off your chest all you like :)

You can't bounce in competitions and the bar has to touch your chest.

Man of Honour
I find my core gets hit hard with every exercise I do - but perhaps that's because I'm conscious of it and make a effort to "engage" it?? Whilst I don't have bulging abs, I'm fairly "solid" and things like the plank or leg raised chins are fairly comfortable for me. I should, however, do more core-centric work as I do neglect it.
Have you tried the modified plank I mentioned recently? They also mention it in the articles I posted, I think the first one for practical stuff.

Things like the lunges I keep harping on about are a great test. If you aren't dead upright with no wobble in your hips you need more core work and hip mobility.
Cheers.

I'll ask here to start with in case others are curious. I want to work on my bench press technique and increase my strength more. It's just a thought at the moment but I do like the idea of doing bench press in a comp. I noticed IPF guidelines on bench press are quite different to how I normally press, things like head coming up aren't allowed and you have to hold the bar at your chest until the referee says push which for rep maxes isn't something I've done.

Do you have any advice on increasing my chest strength?

Need to figure out how to get my legs to drive my upper back into the pad too.
First rule is always bench to your chest with everything to comp standard apart from the pause. Then you can play around with someone giving you commands (obviously being slightly harsh with the "press" command is advisable), but only do this very occasionally and not for many reps (as many sets as you like though).

The strength of the chest will come with time. It's just weak because you've not trained in that range fully.

Leg drive is tricky. Part of what's going on is you're creating tension so that you don't lose any power when you initiate the press. So start with that; set up with a tight back, scaps pinched and lats on, and push into the ground to reinforce your arch. Remember, your arse can't leave the bench, so any drive you create needs to be minimal.

How are you legs currently? Are you flat footed on the floor or tip toed?
You have to be flat footed in the good federations ;)

Man of Honour
I was using free weights, not a bar. For some reason I'm really crap on that lol!

I didn't do dips either, but I did do some of those last week and my shoulder is playing up a little bit, as you say I must have gone down too far.
It's FAR more likely to be that you have messed up shoulders (everyone does!). Search for the mobility thread and do some internal rotation shoulder stretches.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Belts for squat/DL count as equipped in IPF? Seen some people wear belts for bench press too?!

I'll keep working on the bench press strength, what's the best way to do some speed work?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Belts for squat/DL count as equipped in IPF? Seen some people wear belts for bench press too?!

I'll keep working on the bench press strength, what's the best way to do some speed work?

Unequipped:
Belts, knee *sleeves* (there are certain types you can wear), wrist wraps (thumb not in loop), oly shoes

Equipped:
Suits, knee wraps, briefs (a special kind)
ice, no haven't had a look at it, will do though.

Do you do your lunges with a barbell or DBs?
BB clean grip reverse lunge if you're a mobility beast, DBs for us lesser mortals.

Overhead squat is a good test too.

Man of Honour
I can do overhead squats with a little weight, my shoulder flexibility is bad (owing to dislocation and physical lack of movement (i.e. not tendon issue) that only a major operation would fix) so locking out is quite difficult so I get nervous about using weight as I can't get it lined up properly very well :(

I can do normal lunges with a BB though. Never tried reverse lunges! :o

Love this pic though:

http://healthwellnesspost.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/reverse-lunge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom