The 2012 Chilli growing thread - the second burn!

Associate
Cayenne a week after a heavy trim,

DSCN0230.jpg

Anaheim a week after nipping the top off,

DSCN0232.jpg

Jalapeno's coming back,

DSCN0229.jpg

Outdoor Cayenne,

DSCN0245.jpg

At least the Pak-choi is doing well!

DSCN0238.jpg

Soldato
I have shoots!! My plants loved some hot weather here over the end of last week and have decided to (some of them) actually show themselves. Hoping the weather will stay warm enough for them outside now, even as shoots. Need some shelving for the greenhouse tbh!

Man of Honour
Few of my new ones are sprouting.

Now have a ripe naga moricha chilli and two green. I'm hopping I can get a few more to pollinate as I need 6 for a moricha curry.

Soldato
Replanted my last batch into tubs, kept them in the seed trays for too long! Had nice root system though!

I've got plenty of fruit buds on me earlier chilli's and indoor pepper plants!
Thinking I may make a chilli chutney as one of the things to use them up. But thinking I will need to give away plants for the space issue.

Associate
....I will need to give away plants for the space issue.
I always give surplus plants away after i get the number growing that i want. It goes with sowing more than you need to guarantee getting the number you want yourself, and you get to pick the strongest ones to grow on.
Plus its a nice thing to do. :p

Man of Honour
I haz two ripe Nagas, but that's it, i need at least 4 more to pollinate just to make one curry.

90376224.jpg

68774537.jpg

The ever flowering curry plant
27130485.jpg

The picked curry chillies 42 off them.
73256232.jpg

Some new chillies, 2xlemon drop, 2 x Naga Moricha, 1 x 7-pod, 1 x peach habanero
image1inb.jpg

back under grow lights
47796667.jpg

Soldato
Jealous of your lemon drops, one of my favourite chillies. Such an awesome flavour.

Mine are currently all at the stage of your new ones, but they're outside (it's pretty warm here compared to UK and lows aren't too low) and now all are at that level bar the CPI bhut which hasn't popped up at all. The ****. I might try a couple more seeds for those.

Soldato
When do you chop the tops off the chilli plant? Is it to encourage growth outward, or upward? My chilli plants (I have a large variety in the greenhouse, which get brought inside at night) are all a variety of sizes, but some of them I've never grown before so I really don't know just how big they should be.

I also have a banana chilli plant that hasn't had any growth this year. I took all the leaves off, but left the branches on the middle stem. Should I cut back the branches to the stem to encourage growth again?

Associate
i have a range of chilli plants growing. What i need is some good suggestions on how to use the chillis when they are ready. I can add the fresh chillis to curries anc con carne as one use and maybe the weaker ones can be added to salads. How do you folks use your chillis when picked?

Man of Honour
Dry them out on lowest setting on the oven for about 12hours. Then you have dried chillies you can flake or use whole, fresh you can use in many dishes. Get some bottles and make sauces. Also freeze well if you want fresh for longer. Plenty of ways to use them.

Soldato
Flowers are beginning to emerge from my chopped off plants. I'll let them grow this time. Weather needs to improve though. Need some more sun.

Associate
Yeah some decent weather would be nice, the ground round here's like a thoroughly soaked sponge now!

A couple of my ornamentals have been putting buds out for a while but dropping them, and I was surprised to see last night that one of the b+q plugs had a large bud on it, really need to plant them on this weekend.

My red and choc naga's are up and doing well now.

Associate
After potting mine up into deep 6" pots they all responded well.

I have had to nip the tops off two though because they took a hit from steam from the kettle (they are on the kitchen windowsill). These are now throwing out side shoots!

Back
Top Bottom