*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Have only noticed the gallon water bottles so far. I do find it bizarre when they spend an age filling them up at the drinking fountain holding up someone who wants a quick drink. A complete moronic gimmick.
At least the groups of girls will stay away from the free weights area now until new year.

Associate
I only saw about 2 guys use it in Sarajevo and they were crossfit dudes doing handstands on the EZ bar. :D

Anyway, around this time of year is when I usually go on my cut. Going for 1633 calories or so with high protein, fats and carbs around 70g a day. I hate cardio but will throw that in too this year. What are your opinions on the PHUL routine? Seems last year when you asked r/fitness for an intermediate program it was Texas, 531 or Madcows. Now PHUL seems to be in fashion as a recommendation. I ran it during my time in Bosnia as I had loads of free time, one question I have with it though is whether the working sets are run at the same weight e.g 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps at 140kg?

Thanks

Man of Honour
I've noticed for women at least everything is done with bands around their quads and purely focused on their backside. It's getting as bad as the young guys doing arms for days.

Soldato
I only saw about 2 guys use it in Sarajevo and they were crossfit dudes doing handstands on the EZ bar. :D

Anyway, around this time of year is when I usually go on my cut. Going for 1633 calories or so with high protein, fats and carbs around 70g a day. I hate cardio but will throw that in too this year. What are your opinions on the PHUL routine? Seems last year when you asked r/fitness for an intermediate program it was Texas, 531 or Madcows. Now PHUL seems to be in fashion as a recommendation. I ran it during my time in Bosnia as I had loads of free time, one question I have with it though is whether the working sets are run at the same weight e.g 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps at 140kg?

Thanks

Unless stated explicitly otherwise then yes the load stays the same unless on say, set 3 you get 3 reps and you know on set 4 you'd not get 3 or it'd be an all-out grind. Progression is usually based on if you can max out the sets/reps at a given weight, although some people suck at multiple sets (like no matter what they'd get 5/5/4/3 trying to get a straight 4x5) and make better progress dropping weight on subsequent sets in order to hit the sets/reps target - you tend to find what works for you in that regard and neither is right or wrong if the weights are going up over time.

A more structured way of approaching it would be ala the Eric Helms style linear wave loading progression where you'd do say:
WK 1 = 140kg for 4x5
WK 2 = 145kg for 4x4
WK 3 = 150kg for 4x3
WK 4 = 140kg for 2x3 (deload)
WK 5 = 145 for 4x5
WK 6 = 150 for 4x4
WK 7 = 155 for 4x3
WK 8 = 145 for 2x3 (deload)

So you increase the weight each session but work from the top of the rep range downwards in a 4 week cycle then each time it starts over you use the previous 2nd week weight as your new first week weight. Obviously some exercises are going to be loaded in smaller increments and for anything over 12 reps he just sticks to aiming for the top of the rep range (e.g. 2 sets of 12-15 = aim to get 15/15 before increasing the load).

Soldato
I had to bail out a while back and wasn't expecting to or what to do - I had my safety rails up luckily....

Just felt no power to lift up struggled and then I fell backwards managed to catch my hand into bar and bruise and cut my little finger - so sore!!!!

Afterwards practiced bailing out forward and safely - much better!!!!!

Soldato

Thanks

I've only done two weeks of it, then went on holiday for a week, but I quite enjoy the routine and it doesn't take too long. Gains wise time will tell.

Soldato
On top of my bailing a squat.
I failed my DL set :(
102.5Kg, I might have reached my overhand grip limit :/

I keep hearing people say mixed grip causes imbalances?
should you alternate?

I've only used overhand.
A couple have suggested hookgrip? looks painful haha

Soldato
On top of my bailing a squat.
I failed my DL set :(
102.5Kg, I might have reached my overhand grip limit :/

I keep hearing people say mixed grip causes imbalances?
should you alternate?

I've only used overhand.
A couple have suggested hookgrip? looks painful haha

You can alternate and you'll keep any imbalances at bay. The main risk is to your biceps to just be sure your triceps are extended :)

Hook grip is sore in the beginning but gets much easier :) I'd recommend starting it, I have all my lifters do it :)

Back
Top Bottom