*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
mrs talked me into the usual new years resolution gym hype :D

saying that the gym only costs £20 quid a month, it's bigger, has more manly stuff (i may wander into there in a couple of weeks :o) and it's open 24/7 so much better than the gym we used to go to down the road, a couple of years ago.

target for now: get more stamina / get fitter.

only question now is how i can stop injuring my groin, done something to it twice in the last 6months during ice hockey training and have not been since. my guess was no proper warm up / stretches. :(

Lateral, band resisted lunges.

Prepare to cry!

Man of Honour
OP
So after a couple of month of not going to the gym due to illness and work being busy over xmas, ordered a few bits to get back into fitness and the gym.

The following in progress pics from around June - October last year:

If I am being honest I was going to the gym and doing things ad-hoc and not really having any structure to my week... i.e. leg day, chest and shoulder day etc, I would just mix it up.

The gym I go to has a selection of machines, but I mainly used freeweights and the cable machine for doing my chest and arms whilst legs were mainly done with squats and dumbells to help with the weight.

My sets were usually 3 x 12...is this the correct way to go about things?

As for diet the wife is on slimming world so we eat fairly well anyway, I just add the after workout protein shake and extra carbs at lunch in way of pasta.

If anyone can point me out into some new things I could try very much appreciated.

Good luck for 2017 all!

Better results (statistically) can be had by alternating the rep ranges over time... so try Stronglifts or something?

Man of Honour
OP
30 second squat challenge- looks awful...

I saw something from Poloquin (sic) once, talking about teccentric front squats, which looks like a similar kind of torture (5 second descent, 5sec hold, explode back up).

Front squat holds are the biggest core workout going, so good luck, whatever!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Late to the party I just got some voodoo stretch bands and did my shoulder and elbow. First impressions are pretty good- less pain, greater ROM. I wonder how temporary the feeling is and whether it to some extents 'wears off' - i.e. Is it just the initial sensation or is it going to require less flossing over time (assuming the root cause in the first place has been fixed)?

The "relief" from tack floss is temporary due to the increased blood flow to the area concerned.

You will have to think about shoulder extension and flexion work (bicep, lat and pwc stretches) as well as rotator cuff strengthening as they will be impacting your shoulder and elbow.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, you've confirmed what I suspected. And yes I have been doing regular work on shoulder mobility and strengthening since your initial suggestion, I merely did the voodoo band on top of that out of curiosity, although the relief was very welcome all the same. Also paying attention to posture and the 'resting' position of the anterior delt in relation to the pecs to try to keep them back in a neutral position - I do spend periods at work hunched over a laptop and sat in meetings so all the usual culprits.

No worries - it is good to see somebody doing something about it. :)

I have the same problems and so the resolutions are quite easy for me... I have suffered from neglecting them in the past!

Man of Honour
OP
The new squat rack in the gym is getting some use. 5 x 5 @105 Monday. Reiyushin's DL programme also re-started. I'm off to India on Friday which will either be great for weight gain, or be one of the greatest cutting exercises known to man depending on how adventurous I am with the food!

Awaiting gastrointestinal shredded pictures. It WILL happen. ;) :D

Meh, New Years resolution down the toilet already, credit for you guys going, but the gym is not for me one bit!

Who says you need to go to the gym? Or was that actually your new year's resolution?

Man of Honour
OP
I have found a large disparity between my deadlift and rack pulls just recently. Probably down to my lower back. Any advice on what exercises to throw in? I was thinking some RDLs or SLDL. Carry on with rack pulls as well?

Is there a reason you are doing rack pulls (I know why they can be programmed, but I wonder what you do them for)?

But it is probably not your lower back but poor set up and pull from the floor... I.e. your glutes aren't working the way they should.

Got a video?

In general, floor work is always a help: paused deadlifting, speed work, etc... I never to rack pulls because it is too much hard work setting uo for them. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Can someone help with upper back strength. I have reached the max that I can fit onto the hammer pull (200Kg). We dont have a barbell bench type setup. I guess I could do bent over rows, but I will be limited by my lower back. Not sure what else to do, I have maxed out all of the available machines except the front pulldown.

Ah... The delights of machines. And by delights, I actually mean problems.

Single arm rows, barbell rows, all kinds of free weight rows, coupled with chins and pull ups.

Man of Honour
OP
Guys, I'd like some opinions please. I'm 34 and have been lifting since 18. I'm embarrased to admit that I have always maintained a similar routine.

1) Shoulders 2) Legs 3) Chest 4) Back 5) Arms

I know a specific arms day is highly debated, but I finish work early on a Friday and love this session as a means to top up growth on arms, its like a treat before a weekend of rest.

Now - for the past 2 years I've been in and out of hospital with a slipped disc, with another on its way out too. As a result I can no longer commit to compounds at the risk of making things worse. My routine has adapted to try and replace compounds as best as possible. Please dont discuss this, as am not asking for medical advice and am cleared to exercise by my consultant providing I don't get carried away.

I'm starting at a new gym this Friday and am planning on making changes to routine, which makes me anxious but hope I may see some benefit.

So in short - what new routine can I try? If possible I would like to do Mon-Fri, with Sat and Sun as my rest days. I see people doing push, pull, rest but how on earth can you get such development in just one session, presumably this routine is compound heavy.

So you don't want us to discuss your approach to your injury, but how to train with your injury?

Right. ;)

Go see a sports physio. And whilst you're waiting, just do machine isolations so avoid putting any stress on your back. :)

In all seriousness, a coach I once had herniated two discs in his back. His physio wasn't sympathetic and told him to get back in the gym and lift properly. Because - weirdly - having a strong, stable back is pretty important. :)

Good luck with whatever happens!

Man of Honour
OP
Nortripyline, Gabepentin and Tramadol :D

Seriously though, my form is the best its ever been, because it has to be. Trying to figure out how to strengthen my core without making my discs worse. Surgeon continues to reccomend pilates :o

Already had a dysectomy to release some nerves - which made it worse. Surgery wise its a double fusion, but have asked for 4 months to see if I can improve it myself with pilates and moderate exercise.

Anyway, if anything, please please let this be a warning to my fellow lifters. I wish I could start all over again knowing what I know now.

Have you seen a proper sports physio? I.e. a physio that is attached to a football/rugby/rowing team?

Man of Honour
OP
Been through quite a few, many are quacks, but have found one who is good. NHS consultant by day, private business by night. Its very interesting that he dismisses certain NHS guidelines and explains why - must be frustrating by day for him to recommend things he disagrees with.

I'm sure there are good ones out there in the system but from my own personal experience most of the NHS ones I've seen have been rubbish.

Which is why I didn't ask if you had been to an NHS physio. ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Oh seriously - actual NHS physio is terrible, I had a mandatory 6 weeks with them after surgery. The guy I'm seeing privately is a spinal consultant at the NHS, not a physio.

Which is, again, why I had asked if you had seen a proper physio.

Edit: the reason I ask is that - abstractly - a hammer will see every problem as a nail...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom