*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
It's probably bloat and water weight that your seeing especially if you've started eating 500-1000kcals a day more than you were. 2500kcals maintenance should be correct for you so 3000 for lean gains.

Man of Honour
A good way to account for weekend blowouts is to workout your weekly calorie target/actual intake rather than daily and see how much over the beers and takeaways are taking you. You may be surprised.

Also don't feel too bad about your toes disappearing, I've not been able to see mine over my chest for years nevermind my belly :D

Last edited:
Soldato
A good way to account for weekend blowouts is to workout your weekly calorie target/actual intake rather than daily and see how much over the beers and takeaways are taking you. You may be surprised.

I sometimes struggle to hit the calorie goal mon - thur sometimes..... but always eat more weekend.....

Wouldn't that be bad? As your body would be suffering negative when training mon/wed/fri when it needs the calories to rebuild on a daily basis? Weekends is my rest and I don't workout?

Man of Honour
Overhead extensions super-setted with push-downs for the finishing... Pushpress with slow negatives for the main compounds (prepare to die).

Nice idea to mix it up :)

Funny, reading recent posts here reminds me that when I look back at my plateaus I massively underestimated the calories I needed. Improvements recently have been to add BCAAs into the mix, peanut butter into my protein/fruit smoothies and a little olive oil into my various meat/chopped tomato and pasta combos. Have since gained more strength than I have for a long time.

Frustrating not being able to work on my chest much, but it has transformed the rest of my workout in a very positive way.

Soldato
today on my 5x5 I did squats / bench / rows - at the end of each I did and extra set until failure of 70% of my 1Max until fail to give an extra workout.... Hopefully this will help break my plateaus :)

Soldato
I sometimes struggle to hit the calorie goal mon - thur sometimes..... but always eat more weekend.....

Wouldn't that be bad? As your body would be suffering negative when training mon/wed/fri when it needs the calories to rebuild on a daily basis? Weekends is my rest and I don't workout?

It's not ideal. Generally if you're having higher and lower calorie days, you want the higher calorie ones to be the days you're actually training. If you're trying to gain weight but only hit a big surplus on sequential rest days, it might have a negative effect on calorie partitioning (i.e. what amount of your weight gain comes from lean body mass v.s. fat) compared to if you'd have had the same weekly calories spread out more evenly over 7 days.

Man of Honour
Time for a 2 week rest. My hip flexors are fried. Hit a 70kg OHP pb though just before finishing. Finally managing to lift without any awareness of my AC joint. Added 20kg onto my deadlift in 12 weeks and I am finally making squat gains again. Adding more calories has definitely helped. Don't seem to have gained any body fat either.

Soldato
Warm-up not even once. Couldn't get a good angle on the spinal rotation, nevermind. Yes I have a yoga mat and a band at work (you never know when it might come in handy...), yes, night shifts this weekend = not much to do except faff about on the internet. It's funny how I think my hamstring flexibility is naff, but then I've seen far too much #InstaYoga

Being able to move freely is a worthwhile pursuit yo.

kZCPFh.jpg

eXZuiu.jpg

Soldato
Hey,
So I've got my home gym setup now, but I can't get the whole stronglifts routine done in the morning, so I get the squats done, and one other exercise, then make up what I can at lunch in the work gym.

Is there any downside (to gainz ;) ) to breaking it up like this?
I was considering finishing SL after work, would that still keep me on track?

Soldato
Don't you dare say that, you are still a hero to me.

ooops :) I know what I meant

Not in the same league as a lot of people here but did my first 100kg 5x5 squats today which was really tough - felt light headed afterwards!!!!!!! I wont be increasing the weight on Friday!

Micro weights have arrived so can slowly increase my stalling lifts :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom