*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Depends on your budget and taste. Ultimately they're mostly the same, some just look nicer than others. Adidas offerings tend to run a bit narrower than Nike and have more variation in heel height, but we're still talking less than half an inch from something like the Power Perfects (0.65"), Adipowers (0.75") and Leistung (1").

Thanks - Ordered some Inov-8 Fastlift 370 BOA Weightlifting Shoes last night as I have credit on account with Wiggle. Will give them a try and I love the Boa system on my cycling shoes.

Soldato
Cool. I have the Leistungs which also use the BOA system, although I'm not 100% convinced about it being placed right where the laces would be as it tends to loosen a little if you dorsiflex a lot. Certainly makes getting them on and off instant though.

Soldato
Hi guys looking at buying a rowing machine around the £4-500 mark for my Home gym what would you recommend? I’m looking at second hand concept 2 at the moment but are there any alternatives for that price range?

Concept2 is the only one worth looking at! Although, bare in mind that a new one is not much more than a second hand one. When I was looking to buy, the second hand ones were only £2-300 less than a brand new one but had rowed to the moon and back, were older models or had been abused by gyms. I reasoned that if I got a new one it would hold it's value well second hand if I ever sold it.

Man of Honour
Well I said 3x3,
The workout was meant to be 6x3 and I got 3/3/3/2/1/2
So just said 3x3 as that was when it started falling apart.

I'd say yous have given me a big confidence boost going into this :D

Other than deadlifts and squats where I do a lot more, I now swear by 8x3. Then I put the weight up by 2.5kg. Have made a lot of progress with this.

Even 531 isn't helping me much with shoulders though. Very slow progress. At least my chest is developing well again now that my shoulder has recovered.

Soldato
I’m thinking of getting a second bar for my home gym and a trap bar is tempting me. I’m thinking of using it for deadlifts, farmers walks and rows mainly. Anyone use one?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys planning on incorporating some green tea in to my diet and was wondering whether having flavoured green tea is bad to normal green tea because I prefer the taste a lot more.

Man of Honour
OP
I’m thinking of getting a second bar for my home gym and a trap bar is tempting me. I’m thinking of using it for deadlifts, farmers walks and rows mainly. Anyone use one?

Yeah - they are interesting as they enable a lot more deadlift weight to get lifted due to the mechanics of the body's position.

You can also use them for floor pressing, too...

Soldato
Hi guys planning on incorporating some green tea in to my diet and was wondering whether having flavoured green tea is bad to normal green tea because I prefer the taste a lot more.

Nothing wrong with it, just check the nutritional to see if the flavouring is adding calories in (as tea/coffee as-in is basically 0kcal) via sweeteners, as that stuff like that can add up quickly, and nobody wants to waste calories when they're dieting on sugary tea when you could be eating more food instead.

Soldato
Thanks everyone for giving me the ego boost I needed :)
100kg bench went without a hitch, felt a breeze.
105kg got almost half of the way there but didn't :p
Maybe I didn't give it enough rest etc. But hey ho, I'm happy

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys finally bought my rowing machine for 475 in the end and a bicep isolator now ready to go. Anyone got any advice for motivational things to get them going on days that you don’t feel like training?

Soldato
Hi guys finally bought my rowing machine for 475 in the end and a bicep isolator now ready to go. Anyone got any advice for motivational things to get them going on days that you don’t feel like training?

Accept that motivation is never perpetual and that it comes and goes in waves, and just make going to the gym a habit so that even when it just feels like a box-ticking exercise on the list of things you have to do on a given day, it's enough of a routine thing that you just go and do it regardless. Feel good when you make progress, don't beat yourself up if you have the odd bad session, keep plugging away at it and if you do it consistently for long enough you'll get somewhere.

Associate
Accept that motivation is never perpetual and that it comes and goes in waves, and just make going to the gym a habit so that even when it just feels like a box-ticking exercise on the list of things you have to do on a given day, it's enough of a routine thing that you just go and do it regardless. Feel good when you make progress, don't beat yourself up if you have the odd bad session, keep plugging away at it and if you do it consistently for long enough you'll get somewhere.
Thanks appareciate the advice have come out of a rough patch of eating crap for 6 months and depression so getting back in to my dieting and getting my body to a decent standard by August. Time to make those gains!

Soldato
Lovers and haters of Crossfit but 4 months into my crossfit journey and still enjoying it and weights are progressing.

3RM 140kg deadlift today which I'm very happy with. heaviest I'd every managed before I started Crossfit was 110kg for 1.
Squat session the other night was 5 sets of 3 @ 90kg into 60% of that weight to failure. Managed 32 reps @ 54kg before I was shot!
Hoping to get 3RM of 100kg before xmas on squat.

Back
Top Bottom