*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
I just received 96 Weider protein bars. I took a punt on them as they seemed "TOO" cheap.

Cost me £16 for 96 bars which taste delicious and have 20g of protein per bar.

Not bad! :D

Are they still on offer?

I tried two boxes of fulfil protein bars from Amazon. I haven't tried the caramel & cookie dough flavour yet but the white chocolate, caramel and cookie dough one was nice but tough.

Soldato
Does anyone get forearm aches after doing a heavy session on biceps? I did some max preacher reps at 55kgs last week and 4 days later both the fronts of my forearms still hurt. Not a muscle hurt though, more of a tendon or bone if that makes sense.... It hurts most when you release the bar after the set

Caporegime
Also, obligatory joke about using the leg press instead of doing a proper leg exercise. ;)

Although to be fair, if you are leg pressing as your primary workout, I would suggest that might be where your problems are coming from.

He basically has no cartilage in his knees if I remember correctly, so he does what he can.

Man of Honour
Squatting today.

Hate them. Just can't get on with them, they're the bane of my existence.

Also doing them today :). Hate them, especially when 'in the hole' and recently having to take weight off my maximum. However, few people do them, they build massive leg strength (where as few in my gym don't ever do legs) and it is rewarding to be in a position when either now or in the future you can squat way more than most in your gym.

They aren't deadlifts though. I get a massive boost from doing those. Something strangely rewarding from lifting massive weight off the floor.

Does anyone get forearm aches after doing a heavy session on biceps? I did some max preacher reps at 55kgs last week and 4 days later both the fronts of my forearms still hurt. Not a muscle hurt though, more of a tendon or bone if that makes sense.... It hurts most when you release the bar after the set

I do and as a result have to take different approaches to biceps. Hammer curls, arm curl machine. If I don't it limits all of my other arm exercises. Feels more like a trapped nerve, but it could be tendon inflammation.

Also, obligatory joke about using the leg press instead of doing a proper leg exercise. ;)

Although to be fair, if you are leg pressing as your primary workout, I would suggest that might be where your problems are coming from.

So many in my gym do this. I do use it for calf raises. The strongest/most built people in my gym seem to squat. Not everyone can squat of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
I seem to continually have issues with the squat, I'm trying at it still but the physio I was seeing was suggesting that I might find the squat just isn't for me and that I can still get a great workout from lunges ... I've not given up yet though

Associate
I find it a weird comment from a physio that a squat isn't just for you. From babies every single one of us could drop into a squat and just sit there eating mud.

Unless you have injuries precluding you of course I would keep trying as I am yet to meet anyone that cannot get into a squat after correcting bad mobility and years of bad habits!

Soldato
Anyone got experience with the Five3One app?

I've been using it for about 2 weeks and although its great there seems to be something wrong with the way it calculates Dumbell weights. It says like Dumbell Benchpress defaults at 40kg and it doesnt let me adjust it in increments of 2.5kg like anything else. It seems to be limited.

On the subject of Five3One the deadlift session I did today was brutal. I nearly passed out doing the "boring but big" set.

Soldato
I liked 531, figured most people disliked and rarely did the BBB part of it

I've found it excellent. I've been goin to gym a few times a week for a couple of month now and I'm not inexperienced with doing weights.

The chest session I did on Five3one last week gave me insane doms and felt great. Been a while since I worked that hard.

Soldato
Wasn't meant to do a session last night but the gym had a new safety squat bar that I wanted to try out

did 6 sets of 10 @ 90kg, What a hideous horrible bar. Felt horrible. its my new best friend.

Man of Honour
I do 531 concept for OHP since I plateaud with everything else. Also when starting from scratch last year on my chest following a shoulder injury. I have progressed well with it.

Last gym session today before holiday. Going to breakaway from my typical deadlift routine and am going to build up towards a max lift and will just go with how it feels.

Caporegime
@CaptainRAVE you could look at the edcoan deadlift routine, I'd recommend it.

Did this a couple of year ago and got pretty close to the 200kg mark, attempted 195 and got it to the knees, sadly had to reset for other issues otherwise I'd have ran another cycle

Man of Honour
@CaptainRAVE you could look at the edcoan deadlift routine, I'd recommend it.

Did this a couple of year ago and got pretty close to the 200kg mark, attempted 195 and got it to the knees, sadly had to reset for other issues otherwise I'd have ran another cycle

A few people have mentioned this routine to me and it is certainly on my radar.

I still use reiyushin's deadlift routine and manage to add 2.5-5kg every 3 weeks. It has been quite disrupted recently though due to the number of holidays my wife has booked. Probably good for a rest though.

Associate
Thanks for the advice guys on the food! I’ve decided to take up a half marathon at work for an event, what’s your advice as I do not want to lose the muscle mass. Any advice would be great. Planning on training Tuesday, Thursday after work and Saturday morning. Weight sessions will be on Monday, weds and Friday

Soldato
Thanks for the advice guys on the food! I’ve decided to take up a half marathon at work for an event, what’s your advice as I do not want to lose the muscle mass. Any advice would be great. Planning on training Tuesday, Thursday after work and Saturday morning. Weight sessions will be on Monday, weds and Friday

Eat more to make up for the increase in TDEE from the running, that's really about it.

Associate
Also make sure you focus on recovery - calories as mentioned above but also sleep is highly important.
Probably worth accepting that you'll have to focus less on the weightlifting leg sessions - not sure how keen you'd be for a run when limping the next day after 10 sets of squats...

Back
Top Bottom