*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
The gym is going to be grim later. Sure, it'll be air conned, but I am going to melt by the time I get there. At least they have finally switched on the air con though.

:eek: 8 stone, my hat goes off to you good sir. Squats and deadlifts would be right up there for putting some muscle on. Any of the 'big 5' really - Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row or at least some variation of.
Thanks man :)

Man of Honour
It would seem my forearms just tore one of my shirt sleeves open. Gainz :D

Funny, last couple of months I have had zero forearm/wrist pain on chest day. Have made a real effort to keep them tight and it has certainly made a difference. Quite relieved to have no AC joint soreness this week, it really doesn't like flat bench press! Guess I will have to just keep pushing incline, decline, dumbbells and flys. Shame, who doesn't love to hit flat bench press.

Almost a year since I start to build up chest again from 8kg dumbells. Time flies!

Soldato
Talking of sweating, what's the best thing to use if I'm struggling with my grip on deadlifts due to sweaty hands? I've just started taking a new pre-workout and it's definitely causing me to sweat more than I was before. I have a towel with me at the gym that I wipe my hands on but that doesn't help much, and my gym doesn't allow chalk. Should I be looking at lifting straps?

Associate
Talking of sweating, what's the best thing to use if I'm struggling with my grip on deadlifts due to sweaty hands? I've just started taking a new pre-workout and it's definitely causing me to sweat more than I was before. I have a towel with me at the gym that I wipe my hands on but that doesn't help much, and my gym doesn't allow chalk. Should I be looking at lifting straps?

Is it strict no chalk at all or just the powder form? Some gyms don't allow it because of the mess it causes, which you don't get from the liquid chalk .. albeit it is more costly than the powder.

Man of Honour

Straps or liquid chalk. I personally would go to a different gym.

Soldato
Is it strict no chalk at all or just the powder form? Some gyms don't allow it because of the mess it causes, which you don't get from the liquid chalk .. albeit it is more costly than the powder.

The notices say no white chalk so presumably liquid chalk would be okay. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Straps or liquid chalk. I personally would go to a different gym.

Cool, thanks. Yeah it is frustrating that they don't allow white chalk but other than that it's a good gym and really convenient, literally a five minute walk from my house.

Man of Honour
Just try it and see. Our gym says no mobile phones allowed in the weight area. I record my workout on mine, as do most other people, no one has ever said a thing.

Liquid chalk isn’t messy. Powder form makes a mess. Not sure why anyone would use anything other than liquid chalk, it is far superior.

Caporegime
After many years of pretty much hardly ever going to the gym, I've been back at it for the last eighteen months. Feels great to...well...feel better. So good for the mind. :)

Man of Honour
After many years of pretty much hardly ever going to the gym, I've been back at it for the last eighteen months. Feels great to...well...feel better. So good for the mind. :)

Only thing that gets me through work tbh after a stressful day. Funny thing is my progress slows over the summer when I am off work. I lose the aggression that pushes me through.

Was a tough workout today, hate this heat. Once again the water fountain is broken in the weights room and I forgot to take a drink. Cue a hike across the gym every time.

Man of Honour
well joined the gym today for the first time in my life, got my induction and first session after work tomorrow :)

Great success! And remember: the only lifts worth doing are squats, chinups, deadlift and dumbbell bench and press. And overhead triceps extensions. And curlz. And lat raises. And preachers. And hammer curlz. And concentration curlz.

But not 21s - they're pointless. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom