*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Thinking of getting some resistance bands to do straight arm shoulder scapular work (my shoulders are starting to ache again from bench) (hook them around my power cage?)

Anyone recommend where to get them from?

thanks

Associate
I don't know how people can do weights and cardio in one session. I'm not knocking you, I'm impressed you can manage both (though I hope you did the cardio post-weights). I'm still knackered from legs days after doing my workout and getting in that HIIT session is sometimes a real pain, there's no way I could do it in the same workout.
yeah i lift first then do cardio

Soldato
Anyone got suggestions for a first weight belt?
online suggestions seem 10cm all the way round, 10mm, single prong, leather.
I doubt I'll have the opportunity to try before I buy, so it'll have to be from online

Strength Shop ones are fine. I have a lever belt which is nice as it's quick to get on and off, but you can't adjust the tightness on the fly which isn't so good if your waistline fluctuates a lot.

Soldato
Soldato
I've had two RDX belts now, first one double prong belt was great but I would go single prong

now have the lever belt, great for speed/ease getting in and out, I have lost weight since I bought it and had to adjust which isn't a problem however its the excess material that is the problem as it goes on the inside rather than the outside like a normal prong belt, which pinches a lot and can make it a bit on comfortable in places.

but the belts on the whole have been great quality and would recommend.

Man of Honour
So, when people are on holiday and can't access a gym, do you do a bodyweight routine? Just take a holiday?

Just take a holiday since I can’t eat well enough and usually lack most of the required equipment.

Was just about to post on this! It is killing me at the moment. Away this week, then a mini break in a week and then off abroad for a week again. August is free, but I hate this disruption. It really disrupts my squat and deadlift progression and it is always tough getting back into a gym/eating routine. It basically makes me grumpy on holiday and the wife is obsessed with them.

I've had two RDX belts now, first one double prong belt was great but I would go single prong

now have the lever belt, great for speed/ease getting in and out, I have lost weight since I bought it and had to adjust which isn't a problem however its the excess material that is the problem as it goes on the inside rather than the outside like a normal prong belt, which pinches a lot and can make it a bit on comfortable in places.

but the belts on the whole have been great quality and would recommend.

I love my lever belt. It can occasionally pinch, only for deadlifts I find. Also a pain to adjust, but super easy to use in the gym.

so should i do weights one day then cardio the next and alternate like that

Same day is fine, just not in the same session (do an am and pm session). I wouldnt do cardio on the same day as leg day though if it is a leg based cardio session. If you can do both in one session the you aren’t fully committing to either in the session. The most successful in my gym in terms of their goals split their sessions. I can’t comment much though, I don’t do cardio. Squats and deadlifts raise my heart rate plenty.

Strength Shop ones are fine. I have a lever belt which is nice as it's quick to get on and off, but you can't adjust the tightness on the fly which isn't so good if your waistline fluctuates a lot.

Based on advice here I bought up a 10mm strengthshop prong belt. Have had to adjust it down a notch once and it takes a long time to get used to, but my back feels better for it on big lifts (percentage terms, 80% plus of 1 rep max).

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies if this has been asked before, do you guys have any tips for breaking through plateaus? I've hit a bit of a road block with my squats where I'm finding the current weight too easy but as soon as I add 10kg I struggle to get more than about one or two reps in. Maybe I'm just trying to add too much weight and should try adding 5kg instead, but eventually I want to push further and continue to add more weight.

Soldato
Apologies if this has been asked before, do you guys have any tips for breaking through plateaus? I've hit a bit of a road block with my squats where I'm finding the current weight too easy but as soon as I add 10kg I struggle to get more than about one or two reps in. Maybe I'm just trying to add too much weight and should try adding 5kg instead, but eventually I want to push further and continue to add more weight.
I usually add 2.5kg increments, following the stronglifts plan

Man of Honour

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-2016-gym-rats-thread.18710906/page-58#post-29878006

This works for me. Or I shift to 531, 5x5 or usually 8x3 and gradually build up working well below my max lifts.

You also need to eat more.

Soldato
Yeah they've got 2.5kg plates and I believe they might have 1.25kg plates as well, I was probably being ambitious trying to chuck another 10kg on. Thanks for the tips and assistance guys.

Man of Honour
Well, 2 hours off the flight and back in the gym. For once haven’t lost squat strength. Muscle pain though having not squatted for 2 weeks. Going to ache tomorrow. Feels good though, glad I went back a few months in my program.

Back
Top Bottom