*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Just me or hex/deadlift bars are not kind on the hands? Got a new bar at the gym and the thing is shredding my hands. I am of course being a giant girl but actually for the first time ever, considering a pair of gloves just for that.

They don’t look kind to shoulders either (or the bar rack that people put them into that they aren’t meant to).

Soldato
I've had that issue with the odd rack in other gyms - some of them have J hooks designed by people who clearly never lifted - my go to was usually just to chuck a plate on the floor in a position where I could unrack it then taking one step back would clear it, but it's probably not ideal for a 1RM attempt...

Next time, I will probably give it another go in the other rack as that seems fine weirdly enough (was in use at the time). Next up is Deadlifts, once I get back in to it properly..Feels good to be actually lifting 'decent' numbers again hah

Soldato
Just me or hex/deadlift bars are not kind on the hands? Got a new bar at the gym and the thing is shredding my hands. I am of course being a giant girl but actually for the first time ever, considering a pair of gloves just for that.

New bar = fresh knurling = pain. Wears down as people grip it, chalk/strap up etc.

Man of Honour
New bar = fresh knurling = pain. Wears down as people grip it, chalk/strap up etc.

To be fair, we have a hex bar at work and the knurling on it is savage (deadlifts of 140kg+ had me wrapping paper towels around the grips)... I think they're just not made by the typical manufacturers of such equipment and aren't as refined in their processes.

It was paper towels that worked for me, but then I just went back to regular deadlifting anyway...

Soldato
Only realised today how many people still log their workouts in a book. That was me 15 years ago. How do you all log yours?

I used to use the Log subforum everyday, a few years back.. Then I got lazy to the point where I didnt even gym haha. I may start it back up again now that im actually doing regular lifting. It doesn't seem as popular as it did though.. I do miss the likes of Freefaller, LiE, IceCold logging their workouts and mirin over them

Man of Honour
I log everything on OneNote against a list of my workout routines, best lifts and/or last weeks lifts. Quite handy since it then syncs with my pc that I then use to put it all into excel. The wife thinks I am crazy, but it is a really handy way to track every single lift.

Surprised how many people still have log books and a pencil though. Especially since they all have phones on them anyway.

Soldato
I use an app called Daily Strength to log my workouts and as an activity tracker. It also connects to Google Fit and iOS Health, so it's able to give you some basic stats about your workout and more detailed ones if you connect a fitness tracker.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I used to use the Log subforum everyday, a few years back.. Then I got lazy to the point where I didnt even gym haha. I may start it back up again now that im actually doing regular lifting. It doesn't seem as popular as it did though.. I do miss the likes of Freefaller, LiE, IceCold logging their workouts and mirin over them

:D

The good old days!

Right now I'm training 3 days a week doing some full body goodness to bring up my conditioning. It's hard getting a workout done in an hour.

Here's what I'm doing

Day 1

Bench Press (Chest)
CGBP (Triceps)
Seated DB Press (Shoulders)
Goblet Squats (Legs)
BGSS(legs)
Seated Rows (back)
DB Curls (Biceps)
Rope Extensions (tricep)

Day 2

Barbell OHP (Shoulders)
RDL (Legs)
Leg Press (Leg)
Ring pull ups (back)
Incline DB Press (chest)
Dips (triceps)
Cable rope hammer Curls (bicep)
Face pulls (rear delts)

Day 3

Squats (legs)
DB Rows (back)
Decline Bench Press (chest)
Push Downs (tricep)
Straight bar push down (scap)
Lateral raises (shoulder)
Ez bar curls (bicep)

Associate
I stopped doing deadlift a while ago as I really did feel like I was gonna faint. I am always warm when doing them as I save them until last, after squats, ohp, bench.

Man of Honour
When I deadlift I get light headed...how do I stop this?

Probably a bracing issue, given what your body is supposed to do any how it's supposed to do it... you could be overwhelming your baroreceptors (or them not responding properly) by bracing at an odd point or not lifting as smoothly as you could/should - rapid changes in blood pressure (generally caused by lifting) can cause this (check out any number of gym fail videos)...

Soldato
:D

The good old days!

Right now I'm training 3 days a week doing some full body goodness to bring up my conditioning. It's hard getting a workout done in an hour.

Here's what I'm doing

Day 1

Bench Press (Chest)
CGBP (Triceps)
Seated DB Press (Shoulders)
Goblet Squats (Legs)
BGSS(legs)
Seated Rows (back)
DB Curls (Biceps)
Rope Extensions (tricep)

Day 2

Barbell OHP (Shoulders)
RDL (Legs)
Leg Press (Leg)
Ring pull ups (back)
Incline DB Press (chest)
Dips (triceps)
Cable rope hammer Curls (bicep)
Face pulls (rear delts)

Day 3

Squats (legs)
DB Rows (back)
Decline Bench Press (chest)
Push Downs (tricep)
Straight bar push down (scap)
Lateral raises (shoulder)
Ez bar curls (bicep)

A while LiE appears! Yea, I go gym at 6am and have to rush through, to get out for work.. May have to reduce my Powerlifting rests.. :D:D Does this mean you're gonna be starting up a log again?

I'm currently still sticking to my dedicated days (OHP/Bench/Squat/Deadlift) although not as much bench, to the point where im doing more on OHP tjhan bench currently, due to elbow issues haha.

Associate
Well thought i would share this,

I have been doing the gym for 5 years, slowly gaining size well in fact i got to 14 stone from 12 stone 6, i was not happy at the 14 stone weight and felt fat, i was not super strong but could do some average lifts my favorite being pull ups and stuff i carried on with the gym but cut my calories using my fitness pal, i always wanted a six pack from a younger age but but never managed to do it (41 years old) here we go

Hope it motivates someone good luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom