*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
So need some motivation or tips to fix it, I've gotten far too comfy I'm my fat.

I keep giving myself excuses but struggling to break the cycle as it were.

I used to weigh 66kgs I'm now upto 86 probably 90 now.

I think it's enjoying beer abit too much I don't drink tons of it per night I will have say 2 cans but that could be most nights few nights off and repeat, the only time I don't is if I know I'm driving/busy day

Also chocolate I love it far too much and when I'm out about easier to eat that than prep a meal. For example share bags I do on my own or the big bars, I will have crisps ever day, I do eat allot of fruit too but I also boredom eat.

Tend to average 3-5 take aways a month, which is about £20 quid a pop

I know people say just do it but I just can't get motivated despite know I'm becoming a fat ****.

Doctors have said bmi isn't the best it's only not bordering obese cause of my height.

Is there small changes people can reccomend to I don't know ease into the changes I clearly need to make.

Also playing on my mind abit that my dad who is fit weight wise etc just suffered a heart attack (does run in family it turns out many heart conditions as well as diabetes)

Making me think he did everything still got him so what's point :(

Last edited:
Soldato
So need some motivation or tips to fix it, I've gotten far too comfy I'm my fat.

I think it's enjoying beer abit too much I don't drink tons of it per night I will have say 2 cans but that could be most nights few nights off and repeat, the only time I don't is if I know I'm driving/busy day

Also chocolate I love it far too much and when I'm out about easier to eat that than prep a meal. For example share bags I do on my own or the big bars, I will have crisps ever day, I do eat allot of fruit too but I also boredom eat.

I know people say just do it but I just can't get motivated despite know I'm becoming a fat ****.

Doctors have said bmi isn't the best it's only not bordering obese cause of my height.

Is there small changes people can reccomend to I don't know ease into the changes I clearly need to make.

Also playing on my mind abit that my dad who is fit weight wise etc just suffered a heart attack (does run in family it turns out many heart conditions as well as diabetes)

I had a very similar diet, hammered the snickers bars, dairy milk caramel, chocolate peanuts, loved crisps, 2 chineses a week etc etc

cutting drink helps a lot i didn't drink as much as you but every weekend i would be on the beers, cut that right down and lost 5kg Rapid!

The thing that actually helped me the most was putting things onto my fitness pal and logging it, it really makes you look at what you are eating and I'd say you probably don't realize how bad your diet actually is.

The more crap I eat the less motivated I am to do anything, the first few weeks are the hardest but once you are in a routine and eating better everything becomes a lot better. even if the weight doesn't shift cutting out all that sugar and general crappiness will boost your energy levels

My uncle died from a heart attack, grandma had various heart problems. Both looked "fit" but there diets were awful. just bad foods its not all about how you look.

Man of Honour

My grandfather died from a heart attack, my father has had a very near miss (random check up resulted in serious bypass surgery)... it is likely I am predisposed to arterial blocks, but I don't want to look like the rest of my family. ;)

Associate

Your already making excuses to not do it, I did it , I was saying in my head i am too old for this, what's the point ,people die that are fit blah blah blah , then I see videos of 60 year olds ripped and lifting. You got it try and do your best life is life.

If you want it bad then you will do it, I said I wanna get abs but never did it for 20 years always had a sort of fat Belly but slim everywhere else.

I had a picture in my head of what I wanted to achieve and it took me 5 months of hard work and measuring the food out, stick to the plan it can takes months but all of sudden you will look in the mirror and go wow it's working, once that happens it can get addictive and you will get to your goal, I have a cheat day on Saturday and eat what I want and I mean I go over the top chocolate chocolate and more chocolate lol

I posted 2 pages back showing my progress if I can do it you can.

Good luck

Associate
Well said Clubb699 its never to late. If you anyone had said to me last year that this time next year you would be 8 1/2 stone lighter and going to a gym i would have laughed in their faces. but now the only regret i have is i didnt do it years ago, just believe in yourselves and set attainable goals all the way then you dont get disheartened

Man of Honour
Even when it becomes routine, there are plenty of days when I try to talk myself out of it. On those days I generally figure 10 minutes is better than nothing, once I get into it though I am fine. Easy to make excuses and none of them really hold any weight.

Associate
Well said Clubb699 its never to late. If you anyone had said to me last year that this time next year you would be 8 1/2 stone lighter and going to a gym i would have laughed in their faces. but now the only regret i have is i didnt do it years ago, just believe in yourselves and set attainable goals all the way then you dont get disheartened

Seriously Briggboy81 you deserve a medal for losing that amount wow I take my hat of to you well played sir.

Last edited:
Associate
Even when it becomes routine, there are plenty of days when I try to talk myself out of it. On those days I generally figure 10 minutes is better than nothing, once I get into it though I am fine. Easy to make excuses and none of them really hold any weight.

Exactly captainrave get the same feelings, usally them days start slow but end up been good work outs lol

The other thing I say is there's 24 hours in a day , so only need 45 minutes of that day to work out it's nothing really to make a difference.

Soldato
Am trying to talk myself out of it even join, I have no excuse really as I start work at 12 couple days of week so even doing nursery run I have few hours spare!

What machines should I focus on for some tips? All my weight is in my gut the typical dad bod of beer n kebabs

Though the fact I have stretch marks and nearly a new chin appearing yesterday shocked me! I'd post a photo but we'll kinda embarrassed yet nearly 30 years old I should get a grip!

Associate
As much as I love lifting weights, IMO you should start running. Reading your last few posts, I think you need to feel the benefits of training to give you further motivation. After running for a week or two you'll notice you are not out of breath when walking up stairs and just generally feel fitter and faster. Couple that with eating whole foods and cutting out the beer (you don't need it) and you will feel like a completely different person.

Then add weights :D

Soldato
I was thinking treadmills and cycle machines I did used to love cycling when I had the space to keep a bike.

I know won't be same on a machine but least something.

My weight is 14 stone, Id like to be 10/11 ideally or least it just not be fat weight.

I'm not sure if that's unrealistic target though

Associate
I was thinking treadmills and cycle machines I did used to love cycling when I had the space to keep a bike.

I know won't be same on a machine but least something.

My weight is 14 stone, Id like to be 10/11 ideally or least it just not be fat weight.

I'm not sure if that's unrealistic target though

When people talk about machines not being as good, it's the weight machines not cardio. For example using a chest press machine is not as good as benching, leg press instead as good as squatting etc.

Losing 3 stone is easily doable just not overnight. You are likely to make some major in-roads before Christmas but you'll need to be dedicated.

Soldato
When people talk about machines not being as good, it's the weight machines not cardio. For example using a chest press machine is not as good as benching, leg press instead as good as squatting etc.

Losing 3 stone is easily doable just not overnight. You are likely to make some major in-roads before Christmas but you'll need to be dedicated.
What's a good amount to go? I know likely a dumb question but I really need to get my act together.

Im assuming 2-3 times a week with minium of 45 min work

Associate
What's a good amount to go? I know likely a dumb question but I really need to get my act together.

Im assuming 2-3 times a week with minium of 45 min work

Yeah that's fine. You could follow a couch to 5k programme which involves running 3 times per week with weekly progression so you are starting off relatively slow.

Man of Honour
Seriously Briggboy81 you deserve a medal for losing that amount wow I take my hat of to you well played sir.

Agreed. Seriously impressive.

Exactly captainrave get the same feelings, usally them days start slow but end up been good work outs lol

The other thing I say is there's 24 hours in a day , so only need 45 minutes of that day to work out it's nothing really to make a difference.

I started around 30 minute sessions. As my fitness and diet improved they gradually increased. Start small, aim big.

Man of Honour
Argh, so annoying when people go on the plate machines and stick 10kg on there. Use the others!!!

Edit: Great, now he is super setting with other machines and having a chill out.

Back
Top Bottom