*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
For the last 6 months I've been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and really liking it.
I'm wanting to help my BJJ game, and I'm wondering what rep ranges etc people would suggest for improving?

I'm mainly thinking bridging an 100Kg person off me I can do, but doing it repeatedly for an hour is killing me haha
Just wondering if moving to 8-12 reps for my lifts would help me, or should I just focus on being stronger?

the strongman/strength and conditioning gym i go to is joined with a BJJ gym.

lots of the BJJ guys train out of it with good results, the programs given to them are basic get strong programs 5x5 etc and its helped them all in their competitions.
once you get stronger 100kg person will feel like you are thrusting a peanut off you.

Soldato
For the last 6 months I've been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and really liking it.
I'm wanting to help my BJJ game, and I'm wondering what rep ranges etc people would suggest for improving?

I'm mainly thinking bridging an 100Kg person off me I can do, but doing it repeatedly for an hour is killing me haha
Just wondering if moving to 8-12 reps for my lifts would help me, or should I just focus on being stronger?

While I'm a new lifter I've been training BJJ for 8 years or so, haha.

I would say, honestly nothing exactly translates that well. You'd think that benching might help with throwing someone who's 100kg off you but it doesn't (not very much anyway), it's a completely different movement. Roger Gracie's tip for getting a 100kg person off of you in side control is not to let them get there in the first place, haha.

Slightly contrary to what kaptainmarc says above I'd say a mixture of both 5x5 and more explosive movements help. 5x5 because being stronger is never going to hinder your game but you're not going to get a 100kg guy off of you by doing a slow brute strength movement (unless you weight at least 100kg yourself), you're going to explosively use your hips to create a tiny bit of space then fill it.

Having a good posture and good hip movement is key in BJJ. Since lifting I've found it easier to maintain posture I would say. We also do a lot of cage wrestling and again, it's helped with my posture for this.

Soldato
the strongman/strength and conditioning gym i go to is joined with a BJJ gym

lots of the BJJ guys train out of it with good results, the programs given to them are basic get strong programs 5x5 etc and its helped them all in their competitions.
once you get stronger 100kg person will feel like you are thrusting a peanut off you.

Sounds like I should just stick to the plan :)
I've been on this plan for a while now, was thinking of trying out reiyushin's plan next but thought I should check to see if I'd be better with something else.

While I'm a new lifter I've been training BJJ for 8 years or so, haha.

I would say, honestly nothing exactly translates that well. You'd think that benching might help with throwing someone who's 100kg off you but it doesn't (not very much anyway), it's a completely different movement. Roger Gracie's tip for getting a 100kg person off of you in side control is not to let them get there in the first place, haha.

Slightly contrary to what kaptainmarc says above I'd say a mixture of both 5x5 and more explosive movements help. 5x5 because being stronger is never going to hinder your game but you're not going to get a 100kg guy off of you by doing a slow brute strength movement (unless you weight at least 100kg yourself), you're going to explosively use your hips to create a tiny bit of space then fill it.

Having a good posture and good hip movement is key in BJJ. Since lifting I've found it easier to maintain posture I would say. We also do a lot of cage wrestling and again, it's helped with my posture for this.

Good to see another roller :D
I spent a good few months practicing to rein in my strength while on the mat, trying to work at 60% so I can focus on my technique because being able to press the person over my head doesn't help if they know how to put their weight on me right haha
I've found it a bit annoying having come from lifting, I look like I lift, so some of the bigger guys like to 'go hard' and think I'm a good candidate. Too many noob rolls and sore muscles later I've learned to pass on that, I don't need any more injurys than I give myself :p

Soldato
Good to see another roller :D
I spent a good few months practicing to rein in my strength while on the mat, trying to work at 60% so I can focus on my technique because being able to press the person over my head doesn't help if they know how to put their weight on me right haha
I've found it a bit annoying having come from lifting, I look like I lift, so some of the bigger guys like to 'go hard' and think I'm a good candidate. Too many noob rolls and sore muscles later I've learned to pass on that, I don't need any more injurys than I give myself :p

I don't think there's much wrong with using strength when rolling, really. It's kind of like asking someone not to use technique because theirs is a lot better than yours but the problem is, strength only gets you so far. I use both strength and technique when I'm rolling but being one of the smallest guys there the technique becomes a lot more useful.

I used to do strength and conditioning specifically for BJJ (years ago). We'd normally do a day of compounds (deadlift, squats, bench and military press) and then the other days were caveman style circuits (rope climbs, prowlers etc) as well as a lot of kettle bell stuff.

Soldato
I don't think there's much wrong with using strength when rolling, really. It's kind of like asking someone not to use technique because theirs is a lot better than yours but the problem is, strength only gets you so far. I use both strength and technique when I'm rolling but being one of the smallest guys there the technique becomes a lot more useful.

I used to do strength and conditioning specifically for BJJ (years ago). We'd normally do a day of compounds (deadlift, squats, bench and military press) and then the other days were caveman style circuits (rope climbs, prowlers etc) as well as a lot of kettle bell stuff.
I suppose I'm meaning I roll like everyone is the same strength as me. So I can practice for when they are as strong as me.
For instance, day one I was getting arm bar'd and basically curled the guy off the floor and clasped my hands. for the next week my arm gave me hell for it haha.
And I've learned since how that only works when there's a tiny guy holding on trying to be nice to the new guy, not someone going for the tap

Man of Honour
This was about a month ago. 100kg. This was my 3rd set of 5 (my grip gave up a little after rep 3 so had to regrip). I'm up to 110kg now and more or less regrip after every rep (terrible grip strength).

hcVarwQ

You're lifting on your toes which - for deadlifts of any variation - isn't good. Get back on your heels (might need some moar need bend for that).

Been meaning to post mine here for a while as well.

Form is terrible after watching it back. The first lift is OK but every one that follows is dreadful as I forget to pull my chest back. Last one is pretty spot on so far as I can tell?

(Sorry for the terrible angle, it's a tiny ass gym and I had to work to get that angle...)

Well, you're lifting from the floor with 10kg cast iron plates... which are about four inches smaller (lower) than regular Olympic plates. This means your form is going to break before you've even touched the bar.

Stack a couple of 10kg plates flat on the floor on each side (at least) to bring it up to "proper" height and lift from there because - as has already been mentioned - you're doing more of a squat because you're having to get so low.

Also, what is your current training weight for deadlift?

Permabanned
You're lifting on your toes which - for deadlifts of any variation - isn't good. Get back on your heels (might need some moar need bend for that).

Well, you're lifting from the floor with 10kg cast iron plates... which are about four inches smaller (lower) than regular Olympic plates. This means your form is going to break before you've even touched the bar.

Stack a couple of 10kg plates flat on the floor on each side (at least) to bring it up to "proper" height and lift from there because - as has already been mentioned - you're doing more of a squat because you're having to get so low.

Also, what is your current training weight for deadlift?

TBF, I've not really incorporated into my regular routine yet as I didn't want to go full on with it until I'd gotten my form correct. First couple of times I tried it I managed 75KG but with very few reps, just to test my strength. Probably isn't that much at all but I'm relatively new to strength and resistance training :p

Soldato
TBF, I've not really incorporated into my regular routine yet as I didn't want to go full on with it until I'd gotten my form correct. First couple of times I tried it I managed 75KG but with very few reps, just to test my strength. Probably isn't that much at all but I'm relatively new to strength and resistance training :p

For reference standard Olympic plates are 450mm diameter, so the centre of the bar will sit 225mm off the floor.

If the plates at your gym are all the same style as the ones on the bar then they are what I have at home, and even the 20kg and 25kg plates are only 420mm diameter so you will still end up with the bar being 15mm below a standard height for a deadlift.

Even as a beginner to deadlifts you should be fine starting to work on form using 60kg as your starting weight which will help get the bar in to a more optimal position off the floor.

If there is anything you can use to raise it that last 15mm that would be even better.

Personally I had some offcuts from my gym flooring that was 18mm thickness and just cut a couple of strips big enough to stick under each end of the bar.

You can always order the following, cut it in half and stick it in your gym bag.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jordan-Fit...d=1541685382&sr=1-2&keywords=15mm+rubber+tile

Permabanned
For reference standard Olympic plates are 450mm diameter, so the centre of the bar will sit 225mm off the floor.

If the plates at your gym are all the same style as the ones on the bar then they are what I have at home, and even the 20kg and 25kg plates are only 420mm diameter so you will still end up with the bar being 15mm below a standard height for a deadlift.

Even as a beginner to deadlifts you should be fine starting to work on form using 60kg as your starting weight which will help get the bar in to a more optimal position off the floor.

If there is anything you can use to raise it that last 15mm that would be even better.

Personally I had some offcuts from my gym flooring that was 18mm thickness and just cut a couple of strips big enough to stick under each end of the bar.

You can always order the following, cut it in half and stick it in your gym bag.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jordan-Fit...d=1541685382&sr=1-2&keywords=15mm+rubber+tile

That's great, thanks man. We do have some nice big plates in the gym but as I said, I was cautious about doing them on the regular for fear of encouraging bad form. Now I know my current method is just as counterproductive I'll stick a couple of the biggens on. It's back and bicep day Monday so I'll get on it then and re record for you guys to evaluate :)

Finally given myself a goal other then weight loss a few weeks back. I want to be strong and light enough to start bouldering... I'm still pretty weak and heavy at the moment, despite shifting 5KG through basic strength and resistance training and dieting these past 4 weeks. Can just about do a single chin up at the moment and can only hold my own weight on the parallel bars for about 20 seconds. Got a long ass way to go before I can even think about touching those walls, but it feels awesome to have a goal that's more then just want to look a bit better :)

Soldato
OP
Right. A couple of things...

Drop the weight to about 60kg and do 4 sets of 10 reps for a week, then the same at 62.5kg the next week, etc.

Not only will this give you a serious pump and make you feel better about your workouts, you will put in solid volume to taper back into 5*5.

You also have to remember that bench is gash and a stupid lift. ;)

Well I dropped it to 60kg and did 4 x 10.... again I failed on the 3rd set on the 10th rep (I rested 2.5mins) I succeeded on 4th set (rested 5mins)

It seems that my last sets I really need to wait much longer otherwise I will always fail - I just run out of steam....

Soldato
Argh - Did some light deadlifts this week (80kg - 3x8) specifically to film so you guys could check out my form. Got home to look at the video and I'd just filmed the floor for 3 seconds. Good times.

My back felt completely fine afterwards (I wouldn't expect it to worry it at that weight even if my form was a bit off) - that is until BJJ afterwards. That's probably worse for my back than lifting.

Man of Honour
Well I dropped it to 60kg and did 4 x 10.... again I failed on the 3rd set on the 10th rep (I rested 2.5mins) I succeeded on 4th set (rested 5mins)

It seems that my last sets I really need to wait much longer otherwise I will always fail - I just run out of steam....

As above, eat more. Every year I have been in the gym I have underestimated how much I need to eat. I laugh when I look back. I know eat stacks of chicken, protein shakes with peanut butter, bowls of sugary cereals, milkshakes constantly in between. I am gaining again, but I would say getting in enough food is a bigger challenge for me that anything I do in the gym. Can't budge over 85Kg and somehow still have the outline of a six pack (I don't even care about this, as long as my belly doesn't go crazy).

Funny, I cut back my intake over the summer. The number of aches and pains I ended up with was crazy. I couldn't even lift 60-70% of my max lifts a few times.

Soldato
OP
This is my usual weekly routine.....

Mon - Thurs
Large bowl of porridge with blueberries / Protein Powder / Flax seeds 8am
Banana 9am
Train 10am
Protein Shake 11:30am
Large Bun with chicken/beef/tuna salad and a handful of popchips 1pm
Snack on nuts 3pm
Protein Shake 4pm
Dinner (usually rice with chicken and some veg) 6:30pm
Protein Shake 9:30pm

Fri
Banana 9am
Train 10am
Protein Shake 4pm
Dinner (spaghetti Bolognese / Garlic Bread baguette / 1/2 bottle of wine) 6:30pm

Sat
Banana 9am
Train 10am
Protein Shake 4pm
Dinner (340g Fillet Steak / Fries / Asparagus / 1/2 bottle of wine) 6:30pm

Sun
Banana 9am
Train 10am
Protein Shake 4pm
Dinner (sometimes indian takeaway - naan / pilau rice / jalfrezi with 2 beers OR healthier rice and chicken) 6:30pm

Weight

I am 6foot1 and 46

I am not too happy about my body fat but dont want to eat too little or too much :) Also I like to have a treat at weekend...

Last year I started around 84.5kg, dropped to 82.8 (was better around belly) and finished year at 85.5kg.

Soldato
Doesn't look like a lot of carbs to me, I tend to have a small bowl of cous cous when I have a protein shake, just to keep that up.

Anyone else have the problem of smelling like ammonia when really pushing themselves? I was told it was too much protein and not enough carbs in my diet.
But as above, I have carbs with every meal.... is it still not enough, or just a problem I have?

Soldato
Could it be you're stuck in the middle because you want to add muscle and increase strength but you're also not happy with your bodyfat?

I've been in that position in the past. It can mean you end up not really wanting to eat too much for fear of fat gain, but not wanting to cut and risk losing strength.

Things always went better when I just picked one goal and went for it for a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom