*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Which part of your neck? Back or front, or side?

I do deadlifts currently at 130kg

I was doing 95kg squats for 5 sessions and decided to move up to 97.5kg - it felt okay a bit hard....

(also did shrugs on the Wednesday which may have not helped?)

back of neck and movement painful is putting neck forward and a little if I turn it right

Man of Honour
Wearing lifters isn't about performance, it's about enabling a better bottom position if you high bar squat to depth. Only a tiny amount of people can achieve a good deep squat in flat shoes, since it's not a natural position for your body to be in (having a heavy bar on your back whilst still keeping a vertical torso is not the same thing as hanging out at the bottom of a '3rd world squat' where there's no spinal loading). If you're only squatting to parallel and/or low bar squatting, it tends to come down to proportions, and there are now more options for hard-soled shoes for lifting other than the Olympic ones with the large heel lift (Metcons, Nanos etc).

Love the new metcons. Such a stable shoe. Much more comfortable during squats.

I do deadlifts currently at 130kg

I was doing 95kg squats for 5 sessions and decided to move up to 97.5kg - it felt okay a bit hard....

(also did shrugs on the Wednesday which may have not helped?)

back of neck and movement painful is putting neck forward and a little if I turn it right

Either shrugs or head position during deadlifts from my experience. That or you had the squat bar on your neck.

Soldato
OP
well I did shrugs and deadlifts on Wednesday and I must admit it did feel a bit tight thur/fri but not painful

I then did squats and it was definitely not on my neck - I had it much lower than normal - so could it have been my neck position when squat has aggravated what I did on Wednesday?

Man of Honour
well I did shrugs and deadlifts on Wednesday and I must admit it did feel a bit tight thur/fri but not painful

I then did squats and it was definitely not on my neck - I had it much lower than normal - so could it have been my neck position when squat has aggravated what I did on Wednesday?

And people wonder why I say shrugs are dumb? ;)

Take a few days off and then get back in with some proper exercises.

Soldato
OP
And people wonder why I say shrugs are dumb? ;)

Take a few days off and then get back in with some proper exercises.

its starting to ease off and starting getting my full range of movement back.... do you think it will be worth having a week off? (ive been training 9 weeks without a break)

I was just doing some shrugs as assistance exercise - what do you recommend for the traps

Man of Honour
its starting to ease off and starting getting my full range of movement back.... do you think it will be worth having a week off? (ive been training 9 weeks without a break)

I was just doing some shrugs as assistance exercise - what do you recommend for the traps

Power cleans and snatch grip deadlifts.

And then deadlifts.

Soldato
A Pure Gym is about to open right next to my work. Signed up for £20 a month for 6 months on the intro offer then I'll have to quit and rejoin using the work perks discount, so I now have 2 gym memberships, but at least it means I can train a normal routine rather than compromising around my 12hr shift pattern with things like training Sunday then not being able to train again till Friday. It's lacking a few things but I can make do. There's a Pure in Orpington so in theory I could save a fair bit by using them only, but Muscleworks where I train is nearer to my house and infinitely better in every way.

Associate
what about snatch grip high pull (from hang/blocks) and snatch grip rack pull (from ~2" below knee) then?
Both less technical and require less flex :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Shrugs are fine if done right. I always do them at the end of a deadlift session.

Not really. Shrugs are dumb because they encourage most lifters to develop "aesthetic" traps without due consideration for their lower traps, rhomboids or serratus anterior (I.e. things that keep shoulders pinned).

Power cleans, wide/snatch-grip work and rows are all better than shrugs. But if you HAVE to do a trap brosolation movement, do facepulls because at least they benefit you from a joint health perspective, too.

So yes... for most (read: all but a tiny minority) shrugs are dumb; a bit like wrist curls, really. Lift heavy stuff FUNCTIONALLY and the beach muscles will be along for the ride...

Back
Top Bottom