*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Hey man, lifts are going good (except bench but it'll be back at some stage...) so far this year I've hit the 300kg squat and 320 deadlift I've been chasing for a while :)

I'm not really having enough time to keep anything up to date this weather so I think it would be best if someone else wanted to take over the powerlifting totals!

Some vids in case anyone wants to see:
300kg Squat - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs0RW1BgsQL/
320kg deadlift - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs89jKWg6Zu/

Did you walk out on a monolift? :D

Permabanned
Starting to get to the point where I look in the mirror and can clearly see the imbalances in my left arm... Going to have to up the reps there I think. My left pec is quite a bit larger too, though I've heard that something to do with heart positioning, anyone know if that's BS or not?

Soldato
Starting to get to the point where I look in the mirror and can clearly see the imbalances in my left arm... Going to have to up the reps there I think. My left pec is quite a bit larger too, though I've heard that something to do with heart positioning, anyone know if that's BS or not?
BS, your heart is below your ribcage, It wont affect muscle structure on the other side of your ribs.

Do dumbbell exercises so that you aren't able to overcompensate with dominant muscles to execute a lift.

Man of Honour
BS, your heart is below your ribcage, It wont affect muscle structure on the other side of your ribs.

Do dumbbell exercises so that you aren't able to overcompensate with dominant muscles to execute a lift.

Yup, this, nothing to do with heart position.

For the first time in a long time I used straps for the final few deadlifts. My hands are destroyed currently. Still progressing though.

Soldato
Going to start trying to trim some of my belly fat on Monday. I've figured out how to consume 155g of protein @ 1800kcals(ish). That's on training days, off days I can be around 1680kcals. Weekends will be the tricky days. Should I expect to not make any progress with my lifts during this phase?

After doing no squats/DLs or BJJ for the last month my back was feeling quite good. A week of all 3 and it's playing up again. I think it's mostly the BJJ that's doing it. I may try and book in with a sport physio to see what they suggest.

Soldato
Progress is still possible, fat loss cant be localised, consider doing HiiT cardio to help, and keep smashing the weights.

Permabanned

Tbf it's rare that I do anything with the bar outside of the press movements anyway.

Permabanned
Aye, tis a constant struggle. The lovely ladies where I work bring in homemade stuff all the time and pile it on a shelf in the centre of the room. Have to walk by tiffin, cupcakes, sausage rolls etc every time I need a pee which unfortunately with my increased water intake is pretty regularly...

The thought of cheat meals on a Saturday is all that prevents me from scoffing it down.

Soldato
Progress is still possible, fat loss cant be localised, consider doing HiiT cardio to help, and keep smashing the weights.

Thanks!

I know fat loss can't be localised (which is a massive shame :p). I don't carry much fat anywhere else so I'm hoping it will affect it a little.

I do an hour to and hour and a half of BJJ/wrestling sparring a week which I guess could be considered a form of HiiT training (especially the wrestling side).

Man of Honour
Going to start trying to trim some of my belly fat on Monday. I've figured out how to consume 155g of protein @ 1800kcals(ish). That's on training days, off days I can be around 1680kcals. Weekends will be the tricky days. Should I expect to not make any progress with my lifts during this phase?

After doing no squats/DLs or BJJ for the last month my back was feeling quite good. A week of all 3 and it's playing up again. I think it's mostly the BJJ that's doing it. I may try and book in with a sport physio to see what they suggest.

You can always make progress... get lots of sleep. :)

And your back could be playing you up because your lifting form isn't optimal...

Soldato
You can always make progress... get lots of sleep. :)

And your back could be playing you up because your lifting form isn't optimal...

I think my back is playing up due to an injury from years ago (which BJJ and lifting compounds). It's a niggle most of the time. I'm trying to work on my form. I'll post another vid maybe for criticism (deadlifts tonight).

I'm not sure I'm lacking but I just can't fall asleep before 12-12:30 as much as I want to. I'm up at 7:15 so normally get around 6-7 hours but I've heard 8+ is optimal?

Soldato
I found once I started lifting and taking my eating/sleeping seriously that cutting caffeine after 4pm really helped my 'getting to sleep'
Even when I would have considered myself someone who 'wasn't effected by caffeine'
Seems it was more subtle than I thought.

Man of Honour
Had a rubbish workout this am. Squat was fine at 130kg but failed again at OH press at only 40kg on my last set (have done a bit more before but had to deload). Also put the DL down as a fail as form went to complete rubbish on 137.5kg. I've been snowboarding a lot over past couple of weeks and have missed workouts for it but clearly exercised a lot. Had a whole week without lifting until today. I guess body pretty tired from snowboarding but still a bit frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom