1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by spluff, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Skidder

Man of Honour

I'm not going to say I have no knee pain today but it is way better with a few days off the squats. I may also leave deadlift for a week or so

2. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Can't wait to watch WSM now :cool:

3. tom_e

Man of Honour

I knew he'd be a winner pretty quickly when he first appeared a few years ago, and I think 2nd will win within the next year or 2. Pretty big shock for a certain person only just making top 5 though.

(Trying not to ruin it for anyone that want's the Christmas surprise :D)

4. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Where/how can we watch it? I've just been seeing snippets on Instagram and a little on Brian Shaw's Youtube channel.

Poor Brian. He's my favourite.

4 x WSM, though. Time to move on perhaps!

5. tom_e

Man of Honour

The US normally has the shows on within the next month or two which may end up on YouTube but apparently they're very dry and long winded in comparison to the ones we get which will be on Channel 5 over between Christmas and New Year as usual.

6. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

2nd reminds of Pudding and I wouldn't be surprised to see him dominate once he wins his first.

7. tom_e

Man of Honour

Definitely, he doesn't have any major weakness really.

8. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Switching from high bar to low bar squats has completely eliminated what was a small bit of knee pain starting to build up. Deadlifts should be OK, but they definitely weren't helping an already aggravated knee. The only frustration is that I have had to drop the weight a little bit to accommodate low bar form until I am more practiced.

Weighed myself yesterday, have finally put on 2kg. That took some doing.

9. Syla5

Mobster

Regarding WSM I wonder how an uninjured Eddie Hall would have done this year. Honestly think he would be looking at his 2nd maybe 3rd title by now which imo is a shame.

Both Thor and Shaw injured or recovering from a not to old injury really opened up this year. Pleased for the winner, in a truly dominating display.

10. GiraffePencils

Mobster

Well that looks like spam

11. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Spam is keto

12. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

:D

13. Sandycheeks

Wise Guy

Ego! I was benching 60kg yesterday next to a guy that must had around 200kg on the bar. I dont do ego.:)

14. Skidder

Man of Honour

Interesting, I'll look into that, thanks. I'm def going to give my knees a couple of weeks rest from the squats

15. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Warmer today. Vest top ain’t helping. Reminds me why I progressed so little last summer.

16. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

Do you use shoes with an elevated heel? Helps deload the knee joint.

My meal prep this week i adjusted a little. I used 200g chicken thigh instead of 240g breast, and i used 50g rice instead of 38g (dry weight). I also fried fresh chopped chillies in some oil and added those in, along with the same brocoli/cauli portion as last week. Was much more tasty, calories about the same as last week in total.

Regarding the oil discussion earlier. Is it really necessary to consume extra neat oil, doesnt it get absorbed into the food as im cooking it? I added some to the chicken to roast in and i cooked the chilies in some.

17. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Unless your chicken has the texture of a sponge and no oil is left in the pan, I doubt it absorbed everything. Some foods are much better at absorbing but not chicken and other meats I'm afraid

18. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I would high recommend watching Riptoes starting strength videos that focus on the low bar squat (and also his book), he makes a convincing argument.

19. Skidder

Man of Honour

Thanks will have a look

I wear Adidas powerlift, they have a bit of a rise

20. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

Man just wants to squat like Tian <3

Also, tried a few adjustments today and my squat felt so 'one movement' with hips/knees/ankles moving all smooth and fluid. Hope it stays like this going forward as they've been annoying me lately (bit of a plateau).