*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Hi all,

I've worked out that my TDEE on training days is around 2500. (6ft, 75kg, slim but squidgy). My aim is to build muscle without gaining much body fat, if such a thing is possible.

Should I be looking to be eating a calorie surplus or eating bang on my TDEE?

All advice is welcome, thanks!

Soldato
Assuming you're past the beginner stage when recomping is more of a thing... You really don't need much of a calorie surplus to build muscle, providing training is sufficient to stimulate growth (i.e. you're training with sufficient volume, frequency and intensity and making progress in the gym). The problem is that also means it's also easy to eat conservatively when trying to 'gaintain', hover around maintenance and not grow meaningfully (or you might be one of the unlucky/lucky people whose unconscious movement flies upwards in a surplus, meaning you have to eat far more than you expect), so it's something of a balancing act between ensuring you're in a hypercaloric state to get the scales moving over time without getting carried away and getting fat quickly. There will be fat gain regardless, but if you're fairly slim to start with then you'll likely notice lean mass gains changing your shape more than you will a bit of extra fluff, and that fluff doesn't take long to get rid of (where as muscle gain is slow and laborious).

Man of Honour
Most people tend to undertrain and/or under eat in my experience.

The air con has failed in our gym on my heavy deadlift day. Didn’t think I’d get through, but managed to set PBs for reps somehow. Felt sick after the first few sets though!

Soldato
Most people tend to undertrain and/or under eat in my experience.

The air con has failed in our gym on my heavy deadlift day. Didn’t think I’d get through, but managed to set PBs for reps somehow. Felt sick after the first few sets though!

That is really bad times, glad you made it through!

I've just ordered my belt :D pretty excited! Also, despite eating at least 2,300 calories a day and typically quite a few more (up to 3,000 probably) I've not put on any weight in the last fortnight, which is great. I *think* I might be slightly thinner, which is great, and therefore I have probably put on a little muscle too.

I've got an operation coming up in 2 weeks time that will mean I won't be able to do anything heavy for at least 2 weeks I think. Can anyone suggest what I could do to avoid losing the progress I've made recently?

Man of Honour
@dirtychinchilla what belt did you order?

You shouldn’t lose much progress in 2 weeks although you’ll get some decent Doms again when you start back. The rest might even help. I often go on 2 week holidays and although things often feel heavier when returning, the strength is still there.

Soldato
*Edit* Full picture, 8 weeks averaging 2.1k cals per day and I lost weight in the first 4 weeks but I have managed to gain weight for the next 4 weeks. 4 workouts a week that have only been increasing in intensity and I have been super strict with my food intake, keeping to the plan except for 2 takeaways in that whole time, even then I stayed within 500 cals of target for the days.
Forever gaining weight at low cals GG.

As always even when being very conservative with my PAL variable my calories required to gain weight are very low, and lose weight, even lower!

As a hilarious comparison and something I pay no attention to at all, my fitbit reckons I am burning over 2.7k cals every day consistently over the last 8 weeks.

2.7k burned, 2.1k eaten, weight gained....

Last edited:
Soldato
@dirtychinchilla what belt did you order?

You shouldn’t lose much progress in 2 weeks although you’ll get some decent Doms again when you start back. The rest might even help. I often go on 2 week holidays and although things often feel heavier when returning, the strength is still there.

The gunsmith one: https://gunsmithfitness.com/collect...powerlifting-belt-in-vegetable-tanned-leather

Hah do you crave doms? I've had an aching back the last couple of days so I can't say I've really missed it! That's very reassuring though, thank you.

Man of Honour
The gunsmith one: https://gunsmithfitness.com/collect...powerlifting-belt-in-vegetable-tanned-leather

Hah do you crave doms? I've had an aching back the last couple of days so I can't say I've really missed it! That's very reassuring though, thank you.

I hate doms and do not miss them. It is the thing I most hate about taking periodic rest weeks (usually for holidays). That said, my joints/tendons need a rest now, I'll take a break end of July.

In other gym related news, gym girl now approaches me for a conversation. I'm not sure if she knows whether I am married or not. Given how much everyone else stares at her though, I am definitely gaining man points :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried high bar squats last night (without my hybrid technique) and I think it's what aggravated my back problems.

I have quite a curved spine (lordosis) and to try and stay upright naturally curves my spine and causes it to ache. I don't really know how I can fix that.

I think what I'll do next week is unload and start practicing low bar squats, because I'll be bending over a lot more this won't cause the curve in my spine.

Does that make sense?

Man of Honour
I tried high bar squats last night (without my hybrid technique) and I think it's what aggravated my back problems.

I have quite a curved spine (lordosis) and to try and stay upright naturally curves my spine and causes it to ache. I don't really know how I can fix that.

I think what I'll do next week is unload and start practicing low bar squats, because I'll be bending over a lot more this won't cause the curve in my spine.

Does that make sense?

The best thing is to try and just see how it works for your body. I agree with the above, core strength will massively help.

Soldato
You shouldn't be "bending" over at all. Low bar will mean you are going to have more of a back angle.

If I stand up straight my back curves in. I have a naturally curved spine to the extent standing still (say at a gig) for more than 30 mins causes discomfort and always has.

Unless I thrust my hips forward the curve is always there, it will be impossible to squat while thrusting my hips forward.

Low bar get's rid of that curve completely (concave, not convex).

Soldato
Sounds like a posture issue, the weight is pulling your back out of it's hyper extension when your hinging forwards in the low bar squat.
You sound like you have an anterior tilt in your pelvis, and it's causing a long term posture problem

Soldato
Sounds like a posture issue, the weight is pulling your back out of it's hyper extension when your hinging forwards in the low bar squat.
You sound like you have an anterior tilt in your pelvis, and it's causing a long term posture problem

I did have a look at this online and it doesn't look like I do. I have also seen various physios and chiropractors over the years who have never mentioned anterior tilt but have commented that I do I have quite a curved spine.

Essentially yes, if I squat without a bar my back will hyper extend, if I mimic low bar it doesn't and for the last few months when I've been kind of "hybrid squatting" I haven't had any back problems so I think it's worth a go.

Man of Honour

Does that make sense?

It does, but it's a bit like saying "I broke my leg playing football, so I'll try rugby instead."

The high/low bar position is irrelevant: you need to improve your posture, your core musculature and your technique.

You shouldn't be "bending" over at all. Low bar will mean you are going to have more of a back angle.

Indeed...

Soldato
Indeed...

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

The way a low bar squat is performed makes it impossible to hyper extend your back (concave).

I agree that there is possibly a fundamental issue with my posture in general (even though it's never been picked up by a professional).

If it helps here is a vid of me attempting to high bar squat last night:

Back
Top Bottom