***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
On a different note has anyone got any cues for bench press technique? I know you're supposed to retract and pack your shoulder blades and bench with your arms slightly tucked in to protect your shoulders and rotator cuffs, but I struggle to actually maintain that feeling throughout the lift. I feel like as I press the weight my shoulders try to round and it's making it hard for me to make good progress on the lift.

A video of your current technique in action would be helpful.

Not so much a cue but a setup idea is that I've been trying to get my lifters to keep their neck flat on the bench, fully in contact throughout the lift.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Squats are progressing slowly, not a bad start to 2020.

Had a look back at what I was squatting pre-injury (6 years ago now) and still have a way to go. I would do 180x5 x3.

Last edited:
Permabanned
So I've noticed that as the weight creeps up on the bar I'm getting a little dizzy after heavy sets, particularly deadlifts. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? I've read that it may be something to do with an electrolyte imbalance? Hoping it's something that can be fixed simply through a change in breathing technique, though tbh I think I've tried them all...

Soldato
So I've noticed that as the weight creeps up on the bar I'm getting a little dizzy after heavy sets, particularly deadlifts. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? I've read that it may be something to do with an electrolyte imbalance? Hoping it's something that can be fixed simply through a change in breathing technique, though tbh I think I've tried them all...

I thought this was relatively normal with heavy compound exercises? I get it sometimes.

At what point should I consider using a belt if at all? I do have one that I've not really used properly. I think it's a bit wide for me as well.

Soldato
Blood pressure goes up under heavy weights/bracing
then in goes down when you stop.

Can cause dizzyness, make sure you're hydrated

Man of Honour
Blood pressure goes up under heavy weights/bracing
then in goes down when you stop.

Can cause dizzyness, make sure you're hydrated

That, and good breathing technique. You're asking the baroreceptors in your arteries to cope with an awful lot when you lift, so whilst hydration is probably the most critical, making sure you exhale a little at the biggest stress points will also help.

Man of Honour

I just got used to it eventually. Deep breath between each set. Heart and lungs adapt.

Last edited:
Consigliere
Just saying hi as a lurker....some of the numbers you guys lift are insane. :eek:

I am starting out so my bench PB last Saturday was 30kg (so 50kg with the bar) but it felt fantastic to have 'proper weight' on it. Got a push/pull/legs going for the past 3 weeks (5 days a week) and the diet/no alcohol is speeding me along...!

Squat - 45kg 2x5
Deadlift - 70kg 1x6

Soldato
Just saying hi as a lurker....some of the numbers you guys lift are insane. :eek:

I am starting out so my bench PB last Saturday was 30kg (so 50kg with the bar) but it felt fantastic to have 'proper weight' on it. Got a push/pull/legs going for the past 3 weeks (5 days a week) and the diet/no alcohol is speeding me along...!

Squat - 45kg 2x5
Deadlift - 70kg 1x6
Always include the bar :)
sounds great, everyone starts somewhere :D

Man of Honour
Got my best ever OHP yesterday for 8x3 at 75kg and then 4x3 at 135kg on the hammer press. I was very happy with it. Next week will start at 77.5kg for sets and reps. Leg and back work has enormously helped with stability. AC joints have settled (back and shoulder days usually ease them completely). Having plateaued most of early last year on shoulders I’m suddenly seeing progress.

Consigliere
Always include the bar :)
sounds great, everyone starts somewhere :D

Ahhh ha! That makes me feel better!

Makes my 25kg OHP sound impressive then.... :D

Using Boditrax at the gym and logging each week which is definitely helping...i am at 17.2% bodyfat but i am slim at 68kg (fat mainly around my belly) so diet is the big one for me i think.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Presumably they at least give you a little metric to track your body fat with. If it goes up, you got fatter. if it goes down, you got thinner.

There are too many variables that can effect it. Amount of fluid in you/your muscles, food, time of day, empty bladder etc. It's at best a guess. I just use the mirror to asses body fat levels and the scales to monitor my weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom