The 500 year old question

Soldato
Edit: already answered that you can commit suicide if you want.

Yes, i absolutely would take the 500 years then. Why wouldn't you (unless you are really old already and would be stuck that way for 500 years, that would be rubbish).

It sounds great actually, you get to try out multiple different life paths, partners, friends etc. Loads of time to try different artistic pursuits etc etc.

and if it proves too long you can just jump off a cliff.

i think it is probably only worth it if you are between 18-50 (if you are being strict about staying the same age you are currently)

This, and after 100 years or so you'd have enough money/assets to take the other 400 pretty chill and only need to make enough to eat and pay immediate bills.

Soldato
Why are some thinking they will become rich?

If you're not rich now, or becoming rich, the chances are you won't be rich. When people reach a certain part of their life they become a consumer rather than creator.

It's not like you have future knowledge.

You might get paid for a gig in a library telling stories of what it was like in your day.

Soldato
Why are some thinking they will become rich?

If you're not rich now, or becoming rich, the chances are you won't be rich. When people reach a certain part of their life they become a consumer rather than creator.

It's not like you have future knowledge.

You might get paid for a gig in a library telling stories of what it was like in your day.

Two words, compound interest.

Wait long enough and you'll be able to afford a meal at the restaurant at the end of the universe ;)

To watch a great film where a lot of the topics of this question get discussed then I recommend The Man From Earth

e: god my spelling is awful today!

Last edited:
Soldato
Two words, compound interest.

Wait long enough and you'll be able to afford a meal at the restaurant at the end of the universe ;)
Reminds me of Red Dwarf when Holly wakes up Lister after 2 million years in stasis and tells him became the most hated man ever because he left £9.50 in his bank account and thanks to compound interest he owned all the money in the world.

Soldato
Even without the answers to a lot of the "depends on..." conditions, I definitely would.

In theory, you could maybe squeeze in 6-7 completely different lives, taking your experiences from previous ones into the next and make different choices that you made previously. Kind of like a 'New Game+' mode.

Soldato
Is this making anyone else think of the guy in The Simpsons with permanent hiccups - “‘hic’, kill me, ‘hic’, kill me” :D

Would there be some way of bringing people along with you, like biting them on the neck or something? I’m sure I’ve seen that work somewhere :confused:

Off course yes, why would anyone say no.

To those saying I don't want to see x y and z die.. well there will be many more new people you can meet and will have all the time in the world to do so.

There’s a good chance that you’ll see x, y and z die in a normal lifetime anyway!

You may come to see other people as disposable and that would dehumanise you
Other people would know this and avoid you
You'd be an oddball as your attitudes to everything would be out of sync with everyone else

Like Elon Musk…

Last edited:
Soldato
Even without the answers to a lot of the "depends on..." conditions, I definitely would.

In theory, you could maybe squeeze in 6-7 completely different lives, taking your experiences from previous ones into the next and make different choices that you made previously. Kind of like a 'New Game+' mode.
Imagine how good you’d get at saying “no”!! That’s a skill you only really learn as you get older :)

Caporegime
No I don't think so. While it would be interesting to see what happens over the 500 years I don't particularly think I'd want to be in a cycle of watching people I'd come to care about slowly die off in a weird cycle. Also unless it comes with an unlimited money hack I don't want to work for 470 odd years :D

There's a pretty obvious money hack already just by the fact you'd be living to 500.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can actually sign up if you're rich enough to pretty much live 500years or more. Just freeze yourself for a 100 years at a time only being unfrozen to live for say 5-10 years to see progress, then back in the fridge you go. Cryogenics will be a major player in future long distance space travel too so it too will become a matured technology.

Not yet you can't, no one has been frozen for even say a couple of weeks and then woken up again yet let alone 100. Current cryogenics is carried out on people who have recently died and is taking a long shot bet that there will be some way of both repairing them in that recent dead state and fixing whatever damage the cryogenic freezing has caused to their cells too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eventually you will not need to chase money, you will have sufficient in 50 years of working.

Maybe, but 450 years is a long time and being irrelevant when you did run dry is significant. I'd want to de-risk this entirely as the thought of centuries in poverty sounds like torture.

Soldato
If you could live for 500 years(in good health without aging/as you are currently) would you want to?

In good health? Then yes. It's going to be wonderful to see humanity develop. Sure there'll be a big war or two but humanity will recover, rebuild, and progress. My only fear is that I would turn into Rees-Mogg.

Back
Top Bottom