• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ada Lovelace RTX 4090 Owners Thread

@Dicehunter FYI I'm going to try out a "LINKUP - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable [RTX4090 RX6950XT x570 B550 Z690 Tested]" - I just have a 3070 GPU, still it is a Gen 4 PCI-E GPU and will be used on a board that supports a PCI-E 4x16 slot.

Cooleo let me know after a few weeks how you get on please, I'd like to replace my faulty EZDIY riser cable :)

Last edited:
If it's a high quality riser cable there shouldn't be any performance issues but trouble is there's a lot out there that are low quality but still cost a pretty penny.
i bought a cooler master one I was talking to vimes a while back about these risers .i bought the white linkup one @85 notes of the forest ended up sending it back was causing me to lose frames.the coolermaster one hasd been perfect no issues at all.

@scubes. Yes I remember you getting one of these, in general. Great result for you with the Cooler Master type, with your 4090. They do seem to have mixed results with no guarantee that they will work if you change boards or GPU. The Cooler Master type doesn't seem expensive either, less than £50 and 200mm in length..!
Did you buy the one at just under £49.99 or the newer one at £64.20 - thanks.
Cooler Master Riser cable PCIe 4.0 (£49.99) or
Cooler Master MASTERACCESSORY Riser Cable PCIe 4.0 (£64.20)

@Choimaloy75 Good result, and with a 4090.

Last edited:
@scubes. Yes I remember you getting one of these, in general. Great result for you with the Cooler Master type, with your 4090. They do seem to have mixed results with no guarantee that they will work if you change boards or GPU. The Cooler Master type doesn't seem expensive either, less than £50 and 200mm in length..!
Did you buy the one at just under £49.99 or the newer one at £64.20 - thanks.
Cooler Master Riser cable PCIe 4.0 (£49.99) or
Cooler Master MASTERACCESSORY Riser Cable PCIe 4.0 (£64.20)

@Choimaloy75 Good result, and with a 4090.
I'm not using mine at the min 4090 is 3 slot old 3090 was 2 slot.no were to connect the 4090.

@ vimes Here's some of the detials of my riser

Brand
Cooler Master
Connector type
PCI Express
Colour
Black/purple
Connector gender
Male-to-Female
Data transfer rate
12 Gigabits Per Second
Unit count
1.0 count

• ULTRA DURABLE PCB-The IPC4101D compliant PCB offers best-in-class performance under high thermal loads, cable flexibility and moisture resistance than any non-compliant riser cable on the market.
  • HEAVY DUTY SHIELDING — EMI-shielded 28/30 AWG copper wires ensure minimal signal delay and electromagnetic interference free operation.
  • GOLD PIN CONNECTORS —Gold PCI pins allow maximum electrical conductivity with a nominal insertion force of 110 g per contact pair for high durability.
  • RUST-PROOF STEEL-REINFORCED PCI slot —The nickel-plated stainless steel PCI slot increases stiffness for superior card holding even for the heaviest PCI card installations.
  • ULTRA-FLEXIBLE CABLE SLEEVES — TPE cable joints allow maximum flexibility and durability for the tightest cable management tasks.

@scubes Thanks mate :)

Found the one, the £49.99 version.

I'm hopeful the PC-Link one will work with the 3070, and the Alder Lake board I now have. As mentioned I do like the vertical GPU.
Understand about the depth of the 4090 giving you issues about using that kit.

i bought a cooler master one I was talking to vimes a while back about these risers .i bought the white linkup one @85 notes of the forest ended up sending it back was causing me to lose frames.the coolermaster one hasd been perfect no issues at all.

Think I'm just going to keep it in the standard orientation, Looks nice and gives it some early 2000's racer underglow :D

Last edited:
Well found out it wasn't the vertical mount bracket and gen 4 riser, It was the CableMod direct PSU 12VHPWR cable that was the issue, Both the screen would go black and fans would spin up 100% if any load was put on the GPU, Noticed others commenting on roughly the same situation when the 3090Ti came out on random reddit threads all of whom also bought custom CableMod cables so thought I'd try to switch back, Put the stock Nvidia octopus cable back on and it's again 100% rock solid stable, Ugly but stable.

Now the tedious task of RMA'ing a faulty £50 cable back to China.... :rolleyes:

Also noticed something quite odd, With the CableMod cable, And this is fully repeatable, In MSI Afterburner I cannot select anything higher than 100% Power, With the stock Nvidia cable it goes up to 111%, So CableMods cables are doing something funky.

Last edited:
Definitely a faulty cable then, and also looks like the smaller cables aren't making the right connection, I believe they are used to determine whether the cable supports full power delivery. Hence you not being able to move above 100%.

Back
Top Bottom