The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
Well here WAS mine. Only had it a few months as my nearest club was 30 miles away and having a Subaru it was costing me a small fortune to travel up to shoot.

100_2714.jpg

Its an AA400 Classic in .177 with a beach stock and an AA Silencer. It was putting out about 11.6 ftb when I had to let her go. I do miss it

Associate
DO WANT! I might sell my trusty HW97k some day and buy one. Just hope AA never go out of business or they will cost even more than they do now.

I seriously doubt they will. They are the best of the best when it comes to British made rifles. That said, Weirauch are the German equivalent.

Eddie.

Soldato
How are you getting on with the trigger and the snappy recoil?
Mine's rh walnut in .177 too (though not the olympus stock). It likes JSB exact diablo 4.52mm. Fitted with the theoben dampa mount is a hawke SR6 3-12x44AO, squeezed as close to the breech as possible :p
The stock could do with extending an inch or so for a better fit, but that will just have to wait.

Question: does your vortex end cap (the wiggly bit on the end of the silencer) have holes around it.... 'cause mine doesn't.

Soldato
How are you getting on with the trigger and the snappy recoil?
Mine's rh walnut in .177 too (though not the olympus stock). It likes JSB exact diablo 4.52mm. Fitted with the theoben dampa mount is a hawke SR6 3-12x44AO, squeezed as close to the breech as possible :p
The stock could do with extending an inch or so for a better fit, but that will just have to wait.

Question: does your vortex end cap (the wiggly bit on the end of the silencer) have holes around it.... 'cause mine doesn't.

i use to have a BSA Lightning and that thing could snap a small kids wrist with the recoil am loving the gas ram on the theoben as i did a small test of putting a pellet on the scope and firing of a shot :D the pellet was still there, if i have the butler creek at the front down when i break the barrel the breach catches the underneath of the creek cover, there are small holes on the end on the silencer not sure what that means

Soldato
I have a BSA Ultra single shot at the moment which i haven't used for a looong time so i'm thinking about selling it and them maybe getting an AA S410 or something in the future, what do you guys reckon?

Associate
Years ago when i was in year 5-6 at primary school, my best mate was moving to australia. He left me his air rifle just before he left, it was his grandads and was about 100 years old, was used by the kids in his family around 1900 or so. Still got it now and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt fire :p But still great to have.

Soldato
My Webley Raider 2-shot, had it about 11 years now. The little green thing under the scope is a spirit level, and it's got thick electrical tape on the underside to try and minimise scratches.
1BWqk.jpg

Luckily i have this to play with in my back yard - The Quantock Air Rifle Club. It's a disused limestone quarry from the 1900's, my family owns the land and rents it to the club for practically nothing - in return I get free membership.

View from above
AKYVh.jpg
View from the Hut - It's about 50 yards to the furthest targets.
RHFB1.jpg
The Hut itself
5G38l.jpg

I don't get out as much as I should, think I need a new gun (or a significant tuneup) to rekindle my interest. Power dropoff is quite noticable on my Raider now - still for the first 20 or so shots I have no problem reliably hitting the 1 inch spinners at 50 yards.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's awesome, if a bit short. Would love to join a little club like that just to have a plink every now and again. Its ok in my garden but gets a bit boring.

Soldato
I wouldnt want to hunt anything past 45yds myself with a non-FAC air rifle as you cannot be sure of a humane kill in every instance. I am not just referring to accuracy but power drop off is pretty high after this and there may not always be enough "shock" power transferred to the target to kill it completely.

Soldato
^^

Sound advice. Though I'd be more concerned with accuracy of shot placement than energy retention, but that's just me. That said, the closer the better imo as the chances of error and other factors are not so great.

I will say that my last post refers to paper targets only.

Soldato
45/50 yards is my absolute max for hunting, there's too many variables past that which might affect my ability for a clean kill. On paper targets, sure I'll try for further, it's a challenge! If you need to do work at 50+, think about a .22 rimmy, or maybe even straight to a .17HMR.

Back
Top Bottom