Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters
Don
I was keen to try Sophos but for some reason it would never install halting on a check that another AV was present. I will try it at some stage either on another machine or I'm bound to reinstall this OS at some point.

I wouldn't bother - we were forced to "upgrade" at work by our head office from F-Secure to Sophos. Noticeable impact on all our machines (mostly I3 and I5) and all manner of issues with machines randomly losing network or locking up completely.

Associate
Kaspersky AV is now free (not the Internet Security, though). You get all the features of the normal AV including web and mail scanner etc. It's nice and light and has low performance impact, and the usual KAV high scores in detection and prevention. No limitations at all compared to the previous gen paid product, no upsell, no ads etc. It's not been released in Europe yet (formally) but you can download the installer from Kaspersky's global/US site and it works fine. I've been running it for a few months now. Paid AV protection with minimal impact, for free. You can't really complain at that tbf.
Except I can't install it on my computer because it always fails, but I have a feeling that zone alarm (I only have the firewall element active) is blocking it from installing.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've seen a number of new free anti virus softwares on the market and wondered which is the best free Anti virus & Anti spyware at the moment ?
I've been using Avast and malwarebytes for a number of years so wanted to see if they are still good.

I've used AVG and Avira but never got along. Ive been wondering about Bit Defender free

also is it worth paying for software ?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Hmm my tuppence. I have used bitdefender free - its ok but lacks virtually any features i.e. whitelist something a tech would use (you cant its in the paid version) but its great for install and forget. Never liked AVG, Avast seemed better but Im sure they are one these days after the takeover.

I liked Panda Free, testing out Kaspersky Free at the moment. Been a while since I tried the Comodo but seemed a resource hog so swifly uninstalled - was few years ago. For a few mobile devices and a test bench machine I tried 360, I think they have got worse over time.

For paid I have always been a fan of ESET. Kaspersky gets good reviews but an outsider I would also look at Dr.Web as you can trial it for a month (like most) but not got time to constantly be at all these offerings but you do get to see the terrible ones on client machines so off they come.

Soldato
Hmm my tuppence. I have used bitdefender free - its ok but lacks virtually any features i.e. whitelist something a tech would use (you cant its in the paid version) but its great for install and forget. Never liked AVG, Avast seemed better but Im sure they are one these days after the takeover.

I liked Panda Free, testing out Kaspersky Free at the moment. Been a while since I tried the Comodo but seemed a resource hog so swifly uninstalled - was few years ago. For a few mobile devices and a test bench machine I tried 360, I think they have got worse over time.

For paid I have always been a fan of ESET. Kaspersky gets good reviews but an outsider I would also look at Dr.Web as you can trial it for a month (like most) but not got time to constantly be at all these offerings but you do get to see the terrible ones on client machines so off they come.
Thanks, I've not tried any new software but the new AVG has a cleaner design dont know if the rest is any better.

i've never used Kaspersky and the owners comments about Gov spying and the fact its Russian put me off the free one.

Have you tested any others ?

What about ZoneAlarm or Sophos never even seen it before

Soldato
i've never used Kaspersky and the owners comments about Gov spying and the fact its Russian put me off the free one.

Have you tested any others ?

What about ZoneAlarm or Sophos never even seen it before

Like I said:
I liked Panda.. Kaspersky..Comodo ..360..ESET

Didnt get to try Sophos but heard good things. If your paranoid about the Russians I'm not sure the Czechs have a glowing reputation either.

I did look at ZoneAlarm and wasnt impressed. Although unlocking the full versions of any product should yield you a 'better' experience. If you are savvy you can pick up single and multi user licenses online for between £7-20 dependant on what your after. I personally dont part with more than £15 per year as thats my threshold. Also theres no point in having 5 devices covered if you only go online with 2 so use your noggin.

Soldato
Like I said:

Didnt get to try Sophos but heard good things. If your paranoid about the Russians I'm not sure the Czechs have a glowing reputation either.

They cant be as bad can they? but I dont know of any better option either,

I personally dont part
I only look at free unless its something much better then my budget is £10 (never happened yet.

Soldato
My recommendation to you thus is pick one of these three:

Bitdefender, Panda, Sophos (free).

You can always install and give each a month to test if you like it. Uninstall and move on. I was impressed with Panda and even though I have Kaspersky on to give it a whirl there is nothing standing out that Panda couldnt do. One of the big things is they arent a resource hog.

Associate
Windows Security Essentials, backed up by Hitman Pro Alert. Doesnt try and run my life for me, doesnt slow my PC down and doesnt tell me when i should be going to bed.. Although they did find the ******* Trojon I picked up from Ccleaner ( Thanks Piriform)

xl.....out

Associate
What is the latest version number of malwarebytes free? About once a week I manually check for application updates but none ever seem to be available. Seems v3.2 . . installer is offered on the site but I'm still on v3.1

hkLM8Fs.png
RTVwrdj.png
hkLM8Fs

Last edited:
Soldato
So uh, I guess Chrome counts as an AV now: https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/cleaner-safer-web-chrome-cleanup/

wzhnuwM.png

Under the hood, we upgraded the technology we use in Chrome Cleanup to detect and remove unwanted software. We worked with IT security company ESET to combine their detection engine with Chrome’s sandbox technology. We can now detect and remove more unwanted software than ever before, meaning more people can benefit from Chrome Cleanup. Note this new sandboxed engine is not a general-purpose antivirus—it only removes software that doesn’t comply with our unwanted software policy.

So not a full AV, just searches for suspcious software on your PC. But that just makes Chrome a whole lot more bloatier...

Soldato
IDK. The browser is one of the chief attack vectors these days. It was assisting in flagging up dodgy websites and they do need to improve on the extensions/addons since they became the new IE. Its probably welcome for your average and novice user. It will take some time to get as annoying as the McAfee option when you download the Flash...

Associate
Hi every one, A thought accured to me about Kaspersky and the stories in the press discrediting them, soo... the event happened like 2 years ago? so.. why did Home Land Defence only now bar its use? if it was a threat it would have been replaced 2 years ago! think about it? its all about money really.

Soldato
Kaspersky Labs: Warning over Russian anti-virus software

The British government has issued a fresh warning about the security risks of using Russian anti-virus software.

The National Cyber Security Centre is to write to all government departments warning against using the products for systems related to national security.

The UK cyber-security agency will say the software could be exploited by the Russian government.

Security firm Kaspersky Labs, accused in the US of being used by the Russian state for espionage, denied wrongdoing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42202191

Soldato
Latest update on that story:

Employee takes home files over a 5 year period. He pleaded guilty for the record. These files happened to contain the cyber-weapons now being exploited by wider circles since the shadow brokers et al shared them a while ago. The installed AV program done its job and detected the threats (how dare it!). Kaspersky checked out the files and realised they were 'classified' so deleted them. People realise that they have jumped to conclusions but its already too late from the fake news train. The guy is the third NSA contractor to be exposed stealing files (probably more - tip of iceberg).

This is slightly different to the version that Kaspersky worked with the modern day KGB snooping on government files.

Soldato
Where's the poll option ''I don't run any realtime AV at all'' ?

Iops and cpu hogging malware, that's what antivirus is :p.
AV free for a while now, recently did a full scan with Kaspersky after a year or 2, only false positives.

Not to mention a huge annoyance if you need any security related work, all AV's really trip on tools like Cain and Abel or when scanning PCAP files with SNORT... They hate crypto miners, they hate ''hacktools'' and ''cracks''. Hell, I remember bloody Avira locking me out of my hosts file or preventing access to DISM to create an image with Macrium.
But mainly, they hog CPU time ( eg avast loves taking up a whole thread of cpu time when downloading a game on steam, it limited my download speeds from 50+ mb to 15 ish mb/sec.) , and slows down copying stuff (especially loads of smaller files), opening folders with huge ammounts of files, and other i/o actions.

Bloody Windows Defender also falseley flagged my own applications once as a virus after I used a confuser on it (to prevent reverse engineering my source code). It learned later that it wasn't, but we've had multiple instances at our company where Windows effin defender saw our own software as malware.
Because of company policy (quite obvious) and the security risks we will keep using AV's at the office, but at home: screw antivirus.

I've gone through all of them: Essentials, Defender, Avira, AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, Eset, F-secure, all absolute rubbish for performance, it clearly goes at the cost of hash rates, download rates, IOPS, sequential reads and writes, game performance, etc...

Associate
( eg avast loves taking up a whole thread of cpu time when downloading a game on steam, it limited my download speeds from 50+ mb to 15 ish mb/sec.)
It also loves taking up a whole thread of a CPU for no apparent reason and doesn't stop until a reboot is done which is why I've nuked all avast installs from all my active computers.

Back
Top Bottom