• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
I've had an driver pull down from Windows Update - Amd 30.0.15020.1001.

Cannot find scooby about it online though.

Thats the AMD Chipset driver. If possible try and turn off driver updates via Windows. Its on the System/Advanced/System Restore window from the Control Panel in Windows 10.
Alternatively always make sure you have the latest always so Windoze doesnt ruin it for you. Depends on your motherboard but that one above is really really old currently I`m on 4.03.03.431

Soldato
Been trying this new May Preview driver for a day or so now. Nothing big or fancy but my god is frame pacing on point in the few games i've tried. Wonder what they changed under the hood.

Soldato
Thats the AMD Chipset driver. If possible try and turn off driver updates via Windows. Its on the System/Advanced/System Restore window from the Control Panel in Windows 10.
Alternatively always make sure you have the latest always so Windoze doesnt ruin it for you. Depends on your motherboard but that one above is really really old currently I`m on 4.03.03.431

Thank you. Strange as I had the same one installed before this was dragged down.

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
I tried the preview driver on my VR sim rig and got a strobe (flicker?) effect in my Reverb G1. -Submitted a bug report and hope they can fix it quickly. The older driver wrks fine, but I would like some of that free performance boost in VR.
Thank you for reporting this. We've already been looking into this issue and I'll add your Pancake Rig config to the ticket

Soldato
Thank you for reporting this. We've already been looking into this issue and I'll add your Pancake Rig config to the ticket
Thanks! The bug report I submitted was the 6800XT paired with the 5800X3D. (I'm testing stuff out)The 3080Ti can handle slightly higher settings in VR, but it randomly drops frames regardless of load, and it's a bit annoying.

The 6800XT (on the non-preview driver) is actually a better experience in VR than the 3080Ti as long as I stay out of reprojection.

Associate
Thanks! The bug report I submitted was the 6800XT paired with the 5800X3D. (I'm testing stuff out)The 3080Ti can handle slightly higher settings in VR, but it randomly drops frames regardless of load, and it's a bit annoying.

The 6800XT (on the non-preview driver) is actually a better experience in VR than the 3080Ti as long as I stay out of reprojection.
I also have this exact same issue but on the Reverb G2 and 6800xt. It was either blank screen or very fast flickering. Rolling back to the previous driver fixed it. I did try different display ports but same issue. Hope you can fix this in the next driver as would like the extra performance for AMS2 which is Dx11.

Soldato
Dunno what's going on but the card on the right seemed to be drawing more power.
Perfectly normal the card is being used more higher clock = high power but the turn around is more frames.

If it was using more power and not producing more frames then that would be an issue.

I bet even with the higher frame rate if you downclock that card on the right to reduce the power the frame rate would still be higher on the preview driver.

Soldato
Quite a bit more power draw for a couple of hundred MHz.

PS. Nice ninja edit ;)

Yeah completely misread, Thought he was running a 6950XT, An extra 80 watts or so seems a little on the high side.

Skip to any point of the video and you will see the GPU on the right is being used more.

Extra power isn't just a result of more core speed the other factor here is the card is being used more = more power = more frames.

Not sure what else you could ask for really?

Underclock the card is now more efficient while I would bet still gets high fps then before.

Soldato
Driver timeouts yet again on the latest driver

Fresh install of Windows fresh install of the driver really tired of amd gpus now

Part and parcel of AMD GPU's it seems, When they perform well they really perform well but their drivers in general are absolute anal rot, I know I've had a few ATI/AMD cards...

Skip to any point of the video and you will see the GPU on the right is being used more.

You're right, I glanced over that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Driver timeouts yet again on the latest driver

Fresh install of Windows fresh install of the driver really tired of amd gpus now
Everything OK motherboard wise? Card seated correctly, BIOS up-to-date, that sort of thing. Tried a different PCI-E slot. Not that I think that would matter but perhaps it's an issue elsewhere in the rig, causing the problem. How's power to the card, running cables without a splitter, etc. As you say, fresh windows install with fresh drivers rules out a software issue. Unless you have some 3rd party GPU software conflicting?

Back
Top Bottom