• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Part and parcel of AMD GPU's it seems, When they perform well they really perform well but their drivers in general are absolute anal rot, I know I've had a few ATI/AMD cards...
I can't think recently when I've had any problems. Last time I can think of was with Mech Warrior 5: Mercenaries, I had some slow down and that was driver related... but that game was released back in 2019. I'm not saying there aren't rig configs / custom setups / multi-monitor setups that can cause issue but I wouldn't say the drivers are absolute rubbish.

Caporegime
I have to wonder why someone whos supposodly had nothing but 16 years worth of "unstable drivers" would continue to buy the cards year in year out. Glutton for punishment?

To basically say the drivers haven't improved in 16 years by branding them all as "unstable" is ludicrous. Even back in the old ati rage days I had very little in the way of driver issues.

Caporegime
OP
I have to wonder why someone whos supposodly had nothing but 16 years worth of "unstable drivers" would continue to buy the cards year in year out. Glutton for punishment?

To basically say the drivers haven't improved in 16 years by branding them all as "unstable" is ludicrous. Even back in the old ati rage days I had very little in the way of driver issues.
Most stability issues which are cited as driver issues are typically caused by unstable overclocks somewhere in the system, it's very common.

I can't remember the last time I had a driver timeout that wasn't either the result of an unstable overclock/undervolt (CPU/Memory/GPU) or a dirty OS.

Associate
Everything OK motherboard wise? Card seated correctly, BIOS up-to-date, that sort of thing. Tried a different PCI-E slot. Not that I think that would matter but perhaps it's an issue elsewhere in the rig, causing the problem. How's power to the card, running cables without a splitter, etc. As you say, fresh windows install with fresh drivers rules out a software issue. Unless you have some 3rd party GPU software conflicting?

Switched off freesync seems stable now

Only 3rd party software installed is steam and new world and amd drivers like chipset and audio etc

Bios was updated when Sam came out maybe 12 months ago

Everything else seems fine from my limited knowledge

It's a 5600xt been having this issue off an on for a good while

Soldato
My 5800X3D+6800XT just crashed on 22.5.1 sitting at the menu of Project Cars 2 in VR (Reverb G1) It also crashed on Halo Infinite yesterday but I was undervolting to minimize coil whine and thought that was the cause. However, I run stock in VR (With an aggressive fan curve) since I'm wearing headphones and noise isn't an issue.

I'm running memtest now to make sure the RAM is stable. (Just XMP 3600 C16) If I don't get any errors, I will roll back to the last WHQL driver was end see if that works.

The 3800X3D is running stock.

Associate

:cry:My thoughts entirely

Soldato
To any AMD person on the forum, Is there any chance AMD would add support for ultrawide virtual super resolution ? Nvidia has had support for ultrawides and their DSR for a fair few years but it's still not supported in AMD drivers.

It's not like I've exclusively had ATI/AMD for 16 years, Also lots and lots of Nvidia, I like playing around with different cards, Thankfully after a 2nd DDU the preview driver appears to be stable, Gamed for 4 hours straight no issues, Settings in Tuning still disappear after a reboot though so I have to go in and load up the previously saved settings file.

Last edited:
Soldato
@AMD_Vik

Hi there, can u get someone to test gta 4 on steam with a 6700xt using may preview driver and at 1440p, max ingame settings tho sliders at 50 each. I just installed these drivers after removing 22.5.1 with ddu, went in, tested benchmark and got artifacts as in coloured star effects on the bottom half of the screen and terrible hitching/chugging of fps. Same effects after benchmark when in room the shot furniture then went out door cops were there, had a bit of a gun fight and started seeing same snow flake shaped type coloured artifacts.

Wanted to see if these drivers did anything for the game to smooth it out. But made it a lot worse.

I verified files after exiting and all were ok it said.

edit - nvm, it had the two files for dxvk and i just removed em and artifacts gone etc. I coulda sworn i remove those before but oh well.

Last edited:
Soldato
full or minimal install?

Both drivers were downloaded from AMD and I ran the exe. I don't remember addressing such a question in the process, so...maybe whatever the default option is?

I installed both drivers the same way. (The old driver twice now)

(I did not upgrade from inside the Radeon software)

Soldato
Guess full then, i always find min install more stable as less junk like wattman, relive and other stuff. Ull find option when installing on the window giving u a choice for additional install options i think its called or advanced..

Presume u ddu the previous drivers for a decent clean job. amd uninstall options never work for me as when i try, i always got issues, once the drivers corrupted the screen so bad i could hardly shut the comp down. ddu saved the day after getting to boot in safe mode during boot up.

Soldato
Guess full then, i always find min install more stable as less junk like wattman, relive and other stuff. Ull find option when installing on the window giving u a choice for additional install options i think its called or advanced..

Presume u ddu the previous drivers for a decent clean job. amd uninstall options never work for me as when i try, i always got issues, once the drivers corrupted the screen so bad i could hardly shut the comp down. ddu saved the day after getting to boot in safe mode during boot up.
No DDU. For either of the drivers. (That would have been my next step if installing the old driver didn't work)

Soldato

Highlights​

• Support For
    • Sniper Elite 5™
    • Hitman 3™ Ray Tracing Update
    • Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
  • Radeon™ Super Resolution
    • Additional support – RSR is now compatible with AMD Ryzen™ 6000 series processors with integrated graphics.
    • New “Sharpen Effect” slider that allows you to fine-tune the sharpness effect of RSR to your own desired settings.
  • AMD Privacy View
    • A unique software powered by cutting-edge, eye tracking technology built in partnership with the team at Eyeware – monitors your eye movement and reveals only the spot on the screen you are looking at while dimming the rest, keeping prying eyes away from your screen and your information safer. To learn more, check out our blog post HERE.
  • DirectX® 11 optimizations for Radeon™ RX 6000 series
    • Up to 8% increase in performance in DirectX® 11-based games, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.2 on the Radeon RX 6950 XT, versus the previous software driver version 22.5.1 RS-470
  • AMD Smart Access Memory optimizations for Death Stranding™ and Watch Dogs™: Legion
    • Up to 10% increase in performance with new SAM optimizations in Death Stranding™ @ 1440p Very High settings and up to 13% increase in performance with new SAM optimizations in Watch Dogs™: Legion, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.2 on the Radeon RX 6950 XT, versus AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.1RS-471
    • Up to 12% increase in performance with new SAM optimizations in Death Stranding™ @ 1440p Very High settings and up to 24% increase in performance with new SAM optimizations in Watch Dogs™: Legion, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Editiosn 22.5.2 on the Radeon RX 6750 XT, versus AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.1RS-472
    • Up to 6% increase in performance with new SAM optimizations in Death Stranding™ @ 1440p Very High settings and up to 6% increase in performance with new SAM optimizations in Watch Dogs™: Legion, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.2 on the Radeon RX 6650 XT, versus AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.1RS-473

Known Issues​

• Performance drop may be experienced while playing Fortnite™ with Multithreaded Rendering and DirectX® 11 API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon® RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • Stuttering may be experienced while playing Call of Duty®: Warzone™ on the Caldera map with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon® RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • Higher than expected CPU usage when Instant Replay is enabled on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon® RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • Display may flicker black during video playback plus gameplay on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Using Radeon™ Super Resolution on 2560x1600 resolution displays may produce a system hang. A temporary workaround is to set the display Scaling Mode to Full Panel.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.

22.5.2 drivers. Think these replace the may preview driver.

Soldato
will be avoiding these -

• Stuttering may be experienced while playing Call of Duty®: Warzone™ on the Caldera map with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon® RX 6900 XT Graphics.
Why release drivers in this state, just wait until youve fixed the issue.

Caporegime
OP
will be avoiding these -

Why release drivers in this state, just wait until youve fixed the issue.
It's been an issue reported by some users for a while now. I've been playing Warzone myself frequently (on a 6750 XT/6900 XT) and never really experienced the issue myself. That said, it's under investigation. I am currently using the preview driver and will be updating to this today 22.5.1 driver today.

Back
Top Bottom