• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Those crazy pop-ups I'm getting in GTA V and Hardline were appearing in Evolve on the 15.5's, Matt.

Rolled back to the 15.4's and it was fine. Just thought I'd let you know in case anyone else reported it!

Soldato
Absolutely, yes. Always recommend to keep it on unless you're benchmarking. Frame pacing may cost 1 fps or so. Very small performance hit.

There is the basic Frame Pacing option that is available in the 3D Applications aspect which is independent of CrossFire Profiles. However, the introduction of Catalyst Omega also added specific Frame Pacing improvements for certain games in Dual Graphics (APU + dGPU) and those are enabled through game profiling. If you were to override that internal profile you would lose that improvement. Conversely if you were to profile a game which doesn't have that improvement with a game profile that does, it will gain it. However, the optimization is profiled per application on purpose as it may not always result in smoother game rendering if the engine isn't compatible.

Matt, is it best to just use default crossfire profile for games or to always set up the custom crossfire profile via the game exe?

Caporegime
OP
Those crazy pop-ups I'm getting in GTA V and Hardline were appearing in Evolve on the 15.5's, Matt.

Rolled back to the 15.4's and it was fine. Just thought I'd let you know in case anyone else reported it!

Thanks.

Matt, is it best to just use default crossfire profile for games or to always set up the custom crossfire profile via the game exe?

Use the default profile, if one exists is usually the best course of action. However adding a different profile is worth a shot if you have problems with the existing profile, or there is a known bug with a profile that is waiting for a driver update to fix.

Soldato
Fired up Elite at weekend, forcing AFR friendly, hoping that maybe something had happened under the hood not mentioned. Nope.

That 980ti looking good. New price of 980 looking good.

Unless AMD can somehow convince me in fairly short time that they are WORTH sticking with, it's looking like bye-bye time... I'd still rather not take my system apart!

Caporegime
I would try to hold on for a bit longer ET.

I honestly think AMD have got something pretty damn good coming out, nvidia releasing a TX killer for that price as soon as this just doesn't make any sense for them...

Hopefully once AMD get their new cards out and the windows 10 driver ready/finished, crossfire and general driver support in terms of quickness will resume.

Either way, whatever AMD release, nvidia could drop the 980ti's price a bit further.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried contacting elite developers and asking them about crossfire?

Associate
My 7950 is suffering in Xfire and stuttering like a nut job but single card is really fly's on the 15.5 package. A few little stutters but i think that's the dual core rather than the cards.....Only 2 months until my birthday and a Quad lol

Yeah your cpu will definitely be bottlenecking those 7950s and causing extra stuttering. I had a Pentium K running at 4.6 with a pair of 6950s and when I upgraded to the i7 there was a very noticable improvement in overall smoothness and feel when gaming.

Soldato
I would try to hold on for a bit longer ET.

I honestly think AMD have got something pretty damn good coming out, nvidia releasing a TX killer for that price as soon as this just doesn't make any sense for them...

Hopefully once AMD get their new cards out and the windows 10 driver ready/finished, crossfire and general driver support in terms of quickness will resume.

Either way, whatever AMD release, nvidia could drop the 980ti's price a bit further.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried contacting elite developers and asking them about crossfire?

I hear what you're saying, but kind of just want this off my mind.

It's not just Elite, but their support in general this year.

They have promised and failed to deliver a lot. People still waiting for freesync crossfire, people still waiting on more VSR resolutions, people always left waiting for working crossfire (GTA V aside).

Caporegime
The AMD hype train can fall off the rails too. Bulldozer was hyped for years and was crap.

I've got a niggling feeling they'll be 4GB cards only at launch, has anyone seen anything definitive on this?

I'm going to wait it out, but I'm not convinced AMD will deliver. If they do deliver a decent card I'll still be worried about driver support.

Caporegime
Yeah I won't deny that they have dropped the ball big time this year for crossfire users and general communication has been very poor.

I haven't really been following what games work well and what don't for crossfire but aside from project cars and elite, are there many other games that you guys have problems with?

Thankfully being a single GPU user, I haven't had any real problems with the latest games, I just hope that batman arkham knight runs well without the need for a driver.... :p Saying that, I might even hold of playing that game anyway as I am planning on doing quite a big update to my pc and getting a 34" free/g sync 1440 monitor in the next few months.

An yup I am waiting on 21.9 VSR res!!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I won't deny that they have dropped the ball big time this year for crossfire users and general communication has been very poor.

I haven't really been following what games work well and what don't for crossfire but aside from project cars and elite, are there many other games that you guys have problems with?

Thankfully being a single GPU user, I haven't had any real problems with the latest games, I just hope that batman arkham knight runs well without the need for a driver.... :p Saying that, I might even hold of playing that game anyway as I am planning on doing quite a big update to my pc and getting a 34" free/g sync 1440 monitor in the next few months.

An yup I am waiting on 21.9 VSR res!!!!

I think they sorted a number of the games now, but it doesn't mean people weren't waiting a while earlier in year for other games, such as dying light.

Oh, and I think assetto Corsa is still one waiting for working profile...

Caporegime
Ah yeah dying light runs like crap for me regardless of what settings I use and what FPS I get, nothing but bad micro stutters, not sure who/what to blame, gameworks/nvidia, AMD drivers, game developers and/or just my pc...

Last edited:
Soldato
@shankly.. bigger pagefile didnt get rid of the GTA 5 stuttering, im going back to 15.4 beta from Apr 9th, which didnt stutter for me.

AMD u are really starting to annoy the crap out of me now, sort ur s*** out. Dont be surprised if i jump ship after 8 years of loyal service cuz now ur affecting single card users, and thats pretty bad if fixing crossfire is gona screw up single cards.

Soldato
@shankly.. bigger pagefile didnt get rid of the GTA 5 stuttering, im going back to 15.4 beta from Apr 9th, which didnt stutter for me.

AMD u are really starting to annoy the crap out of me now, sort ur s*** out. Dont be surprised if i jump ship after 8 years of loyal service cuz now ur affecting single card users, and thats pretty bad if fixing crossfire is gona screw up single cards.

Nothing to worry about...they aren't fixing anything Crossfire wise either :D

Soldato
I went with 15.5 drivers over the weekend. Project cars micro stutter using msaa or higher in window mode was horrendous, made my eyes hurt.

So back to fullscreen mode. But tearing as I simply cannot find an app out there that'll enable triple buffering.. Radeon pro fixed GTA v for me. And witcher 3 but will not work with project cars, and v sync no triple buffering removed tearing, but input lag is horrendous.. Results are broken game performance wise on amd hardware it seems.. Hmmm

Soldato
I have stopped playing Witcher 3 just a few hours in due to Crossfire not working for me and low frame rate with it disabled. :(

Hoping that a patch or update driver fixes it soon!

Back
Top Bottom