• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
With just a few days to go for the 300 series is it wise to buy anything right now?
The latest AMD 'leak' suggests the Fury will be 8GB..

This is the danger AMD face, people have waited to long already. No new products in such a long time has proved a bad decision from AMD, the lowest market share since Radeon started.

AMD have such great vision but just blunder the execution every time. It's frustrating tbh, Fiji will no doubt be great but will anyone actually buy it if there already on a 980 Ti etc..

Last edited:
Soldato
I went with 15.5 drivers over the weekend. Project cars micro stutter using msaa or higher in window mode was horrendous, made my eyes hurt.

So back to fullscreen mode. But tearing as I simply cannot find an app out there that'll enable triple buffering.. Radeon pro fixed GTA v for me. And witcher 3 but will not work with project cars, and v sync no triple buffering removed tearing, but input lag is horrendous.. Results are broken game performance wise on amd hardware it seems.. Hmmm

As I have mentioned before...pcars looks (almost as good) and runs faster on my nvidia 570 compared to my 290x2 CrossfireX setup. Smooth as butter. That is sacrilege!

I am waiting for the 3xx series to be out...not to buy one but in the hope that it will make the 980Ti more affordable. Its a shame that AMD cannot make 'gameworks' titles remotely playable at the level that the hardware is capable of.

EDIT - Check my post above...seems to work with those settings with minimal stuttering.

Caporegime
I tried GTA 5 last night with 15.5, it felt no different to me (smooth overall) on my single 290.

I went with 15.5 drivers over the weekend. Project cars micro stutter using msaa or higher in window mode was horrendous, made my eyes hurt.

So back to fullscreen mode. But tearing as I simply cannot find an app out there that'll enable triple buffering.. Radeon pro fixed GTA v for me. And witcher 3 but will not work with project cars, and v sync no triple buffering removed tearing, but input lag is horrendous.. Results are broken game performance wise on amd hardware it seems.. Hmmm

Try using a fps cap of 59 via riva tuner, it works very well when using vsync in game or when using borderless window mode for most games, reduces the input lag a lot.

Soldato
@shankly.. bigger pagefile didnt get rid of the GTA 5 stuttering, im going back to 15.4 beta from Apr 9th, which didnt stutter for me.

AMD u are really starting to annoy the crap out of me now, sort ur s*** out. Dont be surprised if i jump ship after 8 years of loyal service cuz now ur affecting single card users, and thats pretty bad if fixing crossfire is gona screw up single cards.

Single GPU performance is fine always have been.. I thought you was using crossfire.
Seeing you using a 7950 I would keep an eye on your vram has a quick easy test put the game on low settings and does it still stutter?

Soldato
With just a few days to go for the 300 series is it wise to buy anything right now?
The latest AMD 'leak' suggests the Fury will be 8GB..

Honestly, think am beyond caring.

I may dislike nvidia, but the times I have used them it has been a more pleasant experience.

And currently I just have no faith in AMD.

Only way they could temp me back now is with a single card 50% faster than titan X.

Won't be rid of these 290's as soon as I'd hoped. My 980ti order didn't go qutie as planned.

Soldato
The problems with amd dirt rally are stopping me moving to nvidia. Anyone buying a card today without waiting just a few days until the best value card available comes available must be ill. I've got £1200 sitting here and no freaking way am I ordering 2x980tis until I've seen the benchmarks for the amd card in a few days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The problems with amd dirt rally are stopping me moving to nvidia. Anyone buying a card today without waiting just a few days until the best value card available comes available must be ill. I've got £1200 sitting here and no freaking way am I ordering 2x980tis until I've seen the benchmarks for the amd card in a few days.

Wise man.

Soldato
hope it wont be too long before we get an updated witcher 3 profile. It gets good scaling with AA turned off but the flickering destroys it for me.

Soldato
Honestly, think am beyond caring.

I may dislike nvidia, but the times I have used them it has been a more pleasant experience.

And currently I just have no faith in AMD.

Only way they could temp me back now is with a single card 50% faster than titan X.

Won't be rid of these 290's as soon as I'd hoped. My 980ti order didn't go qutie as planned.

Lol, the old the grass is always greener mantra :)

I went from a 290X to gtx980 a while ago and I had massively more stutter in Elite with the Nvidia card. I used the W3 release drivers and got lots of lockups and texture corruption in FC4 etc.

So while I think AMD have dropped the ball for their CF users I cannot claim for 1 second that Nvidia have been faultless.

Caporegime
OP
hope it wont be too long before we get an updated witcher 3 profile. It gets good scaling with AA turned off but the flickering destroys it for me.

We're working with the developer to resolve that, Matson. Most likely to be fixed in a future game update, or perhaps a future Catalyst driver. :)

Soldato

Definitely the sensible thing to do. Just a shame for AMD as they could do with some sales from the not so sensible buyers as well.

Hurry up AMD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:p

Soldato
Single GPU performance is fine always have been.. I thought you was using crossfire.
Seeing you using a 7950 I would keep an eye on your vram has a quick easy test put the game on low settings and does it still stutter?

Yea single card mate.. My VRAM is always less than 2.5GB with all High settings except for Grass and Post FX on Normal with 2xMSAA @1080p.

Back on 15.4 Beta now and most stutter has gone, just getting a slight bit of stutter now and again, those last drivers was stutter most of the time when driving fast.

Soldato
Definitely the sensible thing to do. Just a shame for AMD as they could do with some sales from the not so sensible buyers as well.

Hurry up AMD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:p

If had a pound for every time you've said 'Hurry up AMD' I could retire.

Soldato
Yea single card mate.. My VRAM is always less than 2.5GB with all High settings except for Grass and Post FX on Normal with 2xMSAA @1080p.

Back on 15.4 Beta now and most stutter has gone, just getting a slight bit of stutter now and again, those last drivers was stutter most of the time when driving fast.

Am just not sure mate, does it stutter if you have the game set to low settings? Am just guessing here but maybe the stutter is from a rapid frame rate change?

Soldato
Am just not sure mate, does it stutter if you have the game set to low settings? Am just guessing here but maybe the stutter is from a rapid frame rate change?

What im saying is i expect a little stutter when im doing 120mph thru city streets but the latest drivers were stuttering the game everywhere i was driving. Rolled back to 15.4 Beta and im a happy man again :)

Cheers for the suggestions tho :)

Back
Top Bottom