• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

I have used AMD for the last 8 years. I recently moved from my 5770 to a 7970. Decided to do a clean install of the drives. Used the tool to wipe all old drivers and installed the new crimson ones. What a mistake, the drivers installed but the dashboard was not working correct. All the options for settings were missing so tryied to go in to advanced settings to find out that they were also missing.

Long story short, I had to install the CCC manually so could change the screen size on desplay.

I have nothing but issues with the drivers, everytime I close down the media player I loose sound so have disable and enable it or reboot. When I play films via VLC or any software it freezes in the 1st 10 seconds and I get an error saying "Driver stopped responding and has now recovered" this happens every time I start to play films (any format) 7/8 times in 10mins viewing.

I have tried to go back to the old CCC via unistalling and wiping all the old drivers etc but the old software will also fail to install?

Any advice please?

I have used AMD for the last 8 years. I recently moved from my 5770 to a 7970. Decided to do a clean install of the drives. Used the tool to wipe all old drivers and installed the new crimson ones. What a mistake, the drivers installed but the dashboard was not working correct. All the options for settings were missing so tryied to go in to advanced settings to find out that they were also missing.

Long story short, I had to install the CCC manually so could change the screen size on desplay.

I have nothing but issues with the drivers, everytime I close down the media player I loose sound so have disable and enable it or reboot. When I play films via VLC or any software it freezes in the 1st 10 seconds and I get an error saying "Driver stopped responding and has now recovered" this happens every time I start to play films (any format) 7/8 times in 10mins viewing.

I have tried to go back to the old CCC via unistalling and wiping all the old drivers etc but the old software will also fail to install?

Any advice please?

Did this issue start with the 7970 or was it present with your old card also? I would test the drivers with the old card if there was no problems before.

Issues started when did the card change, I also unistalled all the drivers at the same time. I no longer have the old card as sold it to fund towards replacment. Temps on new card are fine and does not seem to be the issue as tall the errors are relaited to the driver and the software side.

Maybe just have to do a clean install of Win 10 and take from there...

have you checked your core clock?

my core clock on my 390 is all over the place unless I use AB to tell it to run at 1010mhz and that causes me issues
Yeah i use clockblocker on my normal installation, the fresh copy of W10 was to take everything possible out of the equation in terms of issues. So a vanilla OS, drivers, steam and the game.

Yeah i use clockblocker on my normal installation, the fresh copy of W10 was to take everything possible out of the equation in terms of issues. So a vanilla OS, drivers, steam and the game.

it could be the drivers, have you tried a older version of the drivers?

is it just jumpy all the time or at certain points in the game?

Any advice please?

What OS? You're aware that on Windows 10, you change the resolution, refresh rate etc from the Windows display options and not the graphics drivers?

Also as the other poster said, the second hand 7970 you bought - test it in another system, sounds a dodgy card to me. Make sure your feeding it enough power etc.

Yeah rolled back to pre Crimson 15.10 cat's and was still the same :(

I have the game as well. if I get chance ill give it a run around for ten mins and see what its like.

does it happen all the time or just when you hit heavy areas? I don't play the game but its on my pc for my son to play

Running windows 10, but have to scale down the screen size to 85% so could only do this in the advanced settings withing CCC. I do not have a second system to test it, the PSU is in the sig.

When I got the drivers installed and CCC after hours of messing I run a benchmark and it run that fine. Seems to be just video playback.

I have the game as well. if I get chance ill give it a run around for ten mins and see what its like.

does it happen all the time or just when you hit heavy areas? I don't play the game but its on my pc for my son to play
You're a star thanks.

The issue is present on mine from the main menu of the game. At the main menu there is a map that spins around and about every 10 secs it pauses for a second, drops from 300fps down to 1fps when running at 800x600 windowed.

In game actual gameplay is the same, frame drops in a similar way where i be at uber low res / settings or 4k high settings, it's the same behaviour.

Funnily enough this is my boys game and on their laptop with i5 gpus it runs smoothly.

Thanks again, very interested in your results!

Like this:
2016_02_18_21_52_33_Program_Manager.png

And showing the clockblocker keeping my card full speed

2016_02_18_21_53_05_Program_Manager.png

The Division open beta now live, still nothing from AMD regarding a new driver for some sort of crossfire profile. It's only the biggest release this 1/4 :mad: guess I'll have to put up with 40fps to 50fps range

I know it's only beta, but I'm sure sli was somewhat working in the last beta. Just would have been nice getting some love also.

Last edited:
Doubt amd would go working on a beta tbh it makes more sense to work on final code with the expecting something to change and break crossfire on release.

SLI working no shock there nvidia are working with them on this release.

Back
Top Bottom