• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

You're a star thanks.

The issue is present on mine from the main menu of the game. At the main menu there is a map that spins around and about every 10 secs it pauses for a second, drops from 300fps down to 1fps when running at 800x600 windowed.

In game actual gameplay is the same, frame drops in a similar way where i be at uber low res / settings or 4k high settings, it's the same behaviour.

Funnily enough this is my boys game and on their laptop with i5 gpus it runs smoothly.

Thanks again, very interested in your results!

I have managed to have a quick try.

left it in window mode on the desktop for a bit and walked away

0MvHZPscwPwngmei

hope this helps, spcs below

I7 950 @ 3.06ghz (no OC)
4GB DDR 3 1600mhz ram
390 8GB

this was using Afterburner, set it to use 1102mhz core and seems quite stable

I'll do some digging and get back to you.

I have used AMD for the last 8 years. I recently moved from my 5770 to a 7970. Decided to do a clean install of the drives. Used the tool to wipe all old drivers and installed the new crimson ones. What a mistake, the drivers installed but the dashboard was not working correct. All the options for settings were missing so tryied to go in to advanced settings to find out that they were also missing.

Long story short, I had to install the CCC manually so could change the screen size on desplay.

I have nothing but issues with the drivers, everytime I close down the media player I loose sound so have disable and enable it or reboot. When I play films via VLC or any software it freezes in the 1st 10 seconds and I get an error saying "Driver stopped responding and has now recovered" this happens every time I start to play films (any format) 7/8 times in 10mins viewing.

I have tried to go back to the old CCC via unistalling and wiping all the old drivers etc but the old software will also fail to install?

Any advice please?

Can you use System Restore or Device Manager roll back driver to regain functionality?

Last edited:
I have managed to have a quick try.

left it in window mode on the desktop for a bit and walked away

0MvHZPscwPwngmei

hope this helps, spcs below

I7 950 @ 3.06ghz (no OC)
4GB DDR 3 1600mhz ram
390 8GB

this was using Afterburner, set it to use 1102mhz core and seems quite stable
Thanks, did you notice what the fps did?

Thanks, did you notice what the fps did?

Sorry, missed that part off, new screen shot but with FPS included.

put in to spoiler tags as I kept the screen shot at its full size to read easier

vRLfcimOATL4PmGH

left on the main screen for about 6 mins and walked away lol

anything else let me know :)

Sorry, missed that part off, new screen shot but with FPS included.

put in to spoiler tags as I kept the screen shot at its full size to read easier

left on the main screen for about 6 mins and walked away lol

anything else let me know :)
That's spot on many thanks, going to grab older CCC drivers and doing some more playing.

thats it, im done with Crimson, rolling back to CCC 15.11.1 drivers now. Loaded up Mad Max, GTA V and LOTR, all stutterting every 3 seconds. The game plays fine, then freezes for a split second every 3 or so seconds, even disabling crossfire is doing exactly the same. I kinda wish they chin this Crimson stuff off, nothing but troubles. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Anyone else having performance problems with their Fury cards (or GCN in general) in getting performance out of normal and medium batches in Ashes of Singularity? I feel like I'm ramming against 60 fps cap all the time, even vsync is off.

Look how 290 performs here:

http://gamers-review.com/direct-x-12-vs-direct-x11-in-ashes-of-singularity-beta

92,7 in normal, 74,9 medium, 47,3 heavy

My numbers with far more powerful card (and more powerful cpu)

60,4 normal, 53,3 medium, 52 heavy

Fury-X-60cap_zps6vfk8wcr.png

I'm using newest drivers, but problem is same on couple of previous drivers aswell.

thats it, im done with Crimson, rolling back to CCC 15.11.1 drivers now. Loaded up Mad Max, GTA V and LOTR, all stutterting every 3 seconds. The game plays fine, then freezes for a split second every 3 or so seconds, even disabling crossfire is doing exactly the same. I kinda wish they chin this Crimson stuff off, nothing but troubles. If it's not one thing, it's another.

100% completed Tomb Raider stutter free so long I didnt use Very High Textures on my 4GB card.. GTA 5 played fine for me last time I played it...

Quick question Tony do you run your GPUs always Overclocked @1100/1500 ??
If so have you tried testing complete stock?

Last edited:

Yeah as i said earlier, they should have just left the drivers how they were, and just updated the CCC, as they've broken them now, shame.

Yeah as i said earlier, they should have just left the drivers how they were, and just updated the CCC, as they've broken them now, shame.

But if they was broken everyone would have these issue ? Ok fair some people on here reporting some problems isn't has widespread you would come to believe.

Out of the friends I know two running Fury, one with FuryX me 290 another friend 290x and my bro 7950 I dont hear any off them complain about anything all running Windows 10 and latest drivers.

One thing for sure though non of us Overclocking the GPUs

i always use a Asus GPUTweak2 to lock my clocks at max, works exactly the same as clockblocker Sh4rkie, the stuttering wasn't caused by clocks fluctuating on this particular instance. I've just had enough of the faff on Crimson, just rolled back to 15.11.1 GTA smooth, Mad Max smooth and LOTR smooth, no stuttering or nothing. I'll live without that Fallout 4 crossfire fix, can still get 60fps on one card even at 1440p with a bunch of mods anyway.

And another nice thing about not being on Crimson, when I disabled a crossfire profile for a specific game when it's not supported, at least that profile now disables crossfire properly for that individual game, I can't tell you the amount of games on Crimson were I made a disable crossfire for, that when I went in to the game, crossfire was still running. Honestly, Crimson is just horrendous for mgpu setups, roll on the big cards next year, I'm totally done with mgpu.

100% completed Tomb Raider stutter free so long I didnt use Very High Textures on my 4GB card.. GTA 5 played fine for me last time I played it...

Quick question Tony do you run your GPUs always Overclocked @1100/1500 ??
If so have you tried testing complete stock?

Always run them at stock when gaming now shanks, been doing that for the past 3 or 4 months, there's just no reason to overclock crossfire 390's in games now, so much power there when they work haha. Only time I run them overclocked is when benching, I like temps to stay under 40c :) You can prob see a screenshot or two of mine posted around the place, sometimes I even under clock them to 1000mhz haha.

i always use a Asus GPUTweak2 to lock my clocks at max, works exactly the same as clockblocker Sh4rkie, the stuttering wasn't caused by clocks fluctuating on this particular instance. I've just had enough of the faff on Crimson, just rolled back to 15.11.1 GTA smooth, Mad Max smooth and LOTR smooth, no stuttering or nothing. I'll live without that Fallout 4 crossfire fix, can still get 60fps on one card even at 1440p with a bunch of mods anyway.
All good then and yeah i found CCC's far better than the Crimson disaster :)

But if they was broken everyone would have these issue ? Ok fair some people on here reporting some problems isn't has widespread you would come to believe.

Out of the friends I know two running Fury, one with FuryX me 290 another friend 290x and my bro 7950 I dont hear any off them complain about anything all running Windows 10 and latest drivers.

One thing for sure though non of us Overclocking the GPUs

The Crimsons are well broken, loads of problems with them, the drivers were fine before they changed them.

Its true what they say, if it aint broke.............

Not had any issues on my single 290 either... well except in rise of the tomb raider, although I put that down to the game being an un-optimised piece of **** :p

Last edited:
the only issue i have had with Crimson is the core clock issues so have to use AB to lock it at the default speeds.

when this is done i have had no issues with my 390.

Back
Top Bottom