• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

I'm STILL getting a black screen on start up with crimson. I've just tried it again after the first release of crimson. What a heap of ****.

Can I just install the latest display driver or will I get the same issue?

If not screw my 290. Good card but gaming time is dwindling nowadays and I don't have the time to mess around with shoddy coding.

I had this for first time installing 16.2 after system boot just before login screen would be black.
My fix was to download DDU and now remove amd driver normal but don't restart instead run DDU and restart it will take you into safe mode follow the sets and restart again now install driver again.

Matt I have an issue with 16.2 when I boot up my PC restart or shutdown just before Login after Windows 10 logo monitor stays Black, if I switch monitor off and on again I then get a picture..

Going to try a DDU if not work i'll report and jump back onto 16.1

Edit
DDU fixed it, i'll still report it has an issue though.

I had exactly the same issue. Black screen upon restarting PC after installing new drivers. Had to use DDU to fix it also.

I used the AMD uninstall manager to remove the 16.1's, restarted, then installed the 16.2's etc as per usual.

Having to use DDU to simply update a driver shouldn't be needed, hopefully Matt can give feedback to make sure these simple things are tested before releasing a driver.

Running a 390X via DP on a BenQ XL2730Z, if you need to know the setup.

And this is why I ALWAYS use DDU for a new driver, doesn't matter how "small" of an update it is either.

I've owned AMD/ATI GPU's for over 10 years. This is the first time that I've had to use DDU in order to not get a black screen upon booting. Using it every time is your prerogative, though clearly a waste of time doing it for every driver.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Driver

Hello everyone,

Click here to download the driver.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Highlights

• AMD has partnered with Stardock in association with Oxide to bring gamers Ashes of the Singularity – Benchmark 2.0 the first benchmark to release with DirectX® 12 benchmarking capabilities such as Asynchronous Compute, multi-GPU and multi-threaded command buffer Re-ordering. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 is optimized to support this exciting new release.

• The SteamVR Performance Test: we are pleased to report that our Radeon R9 390, Nano, and Fury series GPUs are all able to achieve ‘VR Recommended’ status, the highest achievable level of experience possible. In addition to that, our affinity multi-GPU feature is already showing significant performance uplift over a single GPU on Radeon cards in the aforementioned benchmark.

Performance and quality improvements for
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Ashes of the Singularity – Benchmark 2.0

Crossfire Profiles available for
The Division
XCOM 2

For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Drivers, please refer to the following support resources:

How-To Uninstall AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Drivers from a Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Drivers on a Windows® Based System

Resolved Issues:
Far Cry 4 - Stuttering may be observed when launching the game with AMD Freesync™ and AMD Crossfire™ enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable either feature
World of Warcraft runs extremely slowly in quad crossfire at high resolutions
Fallout 4 - Screen tearing in systems with both AMD Freesync™ and AMD Crossfire™ enabled if game is left idle for a short period of time
Fallout 4 - Flickering may be experienced at various game locations with the v1.3 game update and with AMD Crossfire™ enabled
Fallout 4 - Foliage/water may ripple/stutter when game is launched in High/Ultra settings mode
Fallout 4 - Thumbnails may flicker or disappear while scrolling the Perk levels page
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Flickering may be experienced at various game locations when the game is left idle in AMD Crossfire™ mode under Windows 7
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Lara Croft’s hair may flicker in some locations is the Esc key is pressed
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Game may intermittently crash or hang when launched with very high settings and AA is set to SMAA at 4K resolution
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Corruption can be observed at some locations during gameplay
Rise of Tomb Raider™ - A TDR error may be observed with some AMD Radeon 300 Series products after launching the "Geothermal Valley" mission
A black screen/TDR error may be encountered when booting a when booting a system with Intel + AMD graphics and an HDMI monitor connected
Radeon Settings may sometimes fails to launch with a “Context Creation Error” message
FRTC options are displayed on some unsupported laptop configurations with Intel CPU’s and AMD GPU’s
Choppy gameplay may be experienced when both AMD Freesync™ and AMD Crossfire™ are both enabled
Display corruption may be observed after keeping system idle for some time
The AMD Overdrive™ memory clock slider does not show original clock values if memory speeds are overclocked

Known Issues:
Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption
A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"
Star Wars™: Battlefront - Corrupted ground textures may be observed in the Survival of Hoth mission
Cannot enable AMD Crossfire with some dual GPU AMD Radeon HD 59xx and HD 79xx series products
Fallout 4 - In game stutter may be experienced if the game is launched with AMD Crossfire enabled
XCOM 2 - Flickering textures may be experienced at various game locations
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - The game may randomly crash on launch if Tessellation is enabled

AMD Issue Reporting Form:
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Issue Reporting Form. To provide us with your feedback, visit the AMD Issue Reporting Form

Ooh! A new driver that's nice :D

I haven't been having any issues with any of the games I've been playing since 16.1 solved the TR problems but it's always nice to get updates.

Last edited:
I've owned AMD/ATI GPU's for over 10 years. This is the first time that I've had to use DDU in order to not get a black screen upon booting. Using it every time is your prerogative, though clearly a waste of time doing it for every driver.

Moving to Crimson was also my first time needing DDU. It seems to do the job though so I kept the program in case I ever need it again.

I always use DDU but still get black screen on boot if i use afterburner. Ive even set it to not start on boot and apply overclock but it still black screens. The only way i can use 16.2s and overclock is by using amds own software which causes mad hangs and artifacts.

AMD really need to get a grip on their drivers - this has been going on for months. Releasing a driver with a widespread clock jumping issue is OK is it? Crossfire is just a mess too.

Case in point - just tried to install 16.2 and black screen freeze midway through :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I always use DDU but still get black screen on boot if i use afterburner. Ive even set it to not start on boot and apply overclock but it still black screens. The only way i can use 16.2s and overclock is by using amds own software which causes mad hangs and artifacts.

Uninstall AB m8, its not worked properly since crimson, just use trixx for now and if ya need OSD install HWINFO64 and setup OSD on that.

Be carefull with trixx though, dont use the reset button as it can cause blackscreen, just set up a profile for your stock clocks and when ever you want to change to stock clocks hit that profile, also remember to go back to stock clocks before you shutdown or ya might find a black screen next time you boot.

Maybe it's different from card to card, shame yours ain't a 290x I could give your bios a go. What make is your card? I think I have an Asus and a Sapphire, I would have to check when I get home from work.

Ah, would explain it then i guess. One of my cards aint a good clocker so to get any decent speed out of it i need a higher than stock voltage unfortunately. Trixx is working fine, just gotta remember to load stock clocks before ya shutdown.

Nope although I undervolt to -31mv with the power limit set to +50%

ah that would be why, I have no problem with these drivers at stock but overclocked with voltage I get black screens on windows log in.

Just have to manually reset before each shutdown.

Out of curiosity what clocks do you run at -31mv?

ah that would be why, I have no problem with these drivers at stock but overclocked with voltage I get black screens on windows log in.

I had the same issue, I removed 16.2 and ran DDU then reinstalled 16.2 and it was fixed..
if its the same issue has mine just after Windows 10 logo the screen would remain black screen?
This isn't an Overclock issue its a driver issue I dont overclock my GPU.

Just stock clocks so 977 and 1250MHz iirc.

I would like to get a bit more performance from my 290 but I rather have the lower temps + fan speed atm

Back
Top Bottom