• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Matt I have an issue with 16.2 when I boot up my PC restart or shutdown just before Login after Windows 10 logo monitor stays Black, if I switch monitor off and on again I then get a picture..

Going to try a DDU if not work i'll report and jump back onto 16.1

Edit
DDU fixed it, i'll still report it has an issue though.

Last edited:
This updated driver is still holding onto overclocked core/memory clocks from a 3rd party software after complete shutdown. So if you run an overclock that needs additional voltage, crimson ramps up your clocks before what ever software your using to control voltage can kick in and you get a black screen on Windows log in.

Yeah it's kinda annoying if ya forget to disable your overclock before ya shutdown, I'm starting to get used to it but every now and again it catches me out and it back to safe mode to reset it :)

This updated driver is still holding onto overclocked core/memory clocks from a 3rd party software after complete shutdown. So if you run an overclock that needs additional voltage, crimson ramps up your clocks before what ever software your using to control voltage can kick in and you get a black screen on Windows log in.

Yeah it's kinda annoying if ya forget to disable your overclock before ya shutdown, I'm starting to get used to it but every now and again it catches me out and it back to safe mode to reset it :)

3rd party overclocking tools bypass the normal AMD drivers entirely to force overclocks, this is normal and in no way AMDs problem. Basically it's the 3rd party tool developers who need to fix this problem.

Try checking frames tested from 1 to 2 cards to see what the gains are. 11 is the max score but there is no limit on the frames tested from what I have seen.

Yes frames jump from 8000 something to 12490. But I have seen single 980ti with 14000 tested frames (I seen it on internets, so those 980ti might have had a companion in that system) ;)

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Driver

Hello everyone,

Click here to download the driver.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Highlights

• AMD has partnered with Stardock in association with Oxide to bring gamers Ashes of the Singularity – Benchmark 2.0 the first benchmark to release with DirectX® 12 benchmarking capabilities such as Asynchronous Compute, multi-GPU and multi-threaded command buffer Re-ordering. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 is optimized to support this exciting new release.

• The SteamVR Performance Test: we are pleased to report that our Radeon R9 390, Nano, and Fury series GPUs are all able to achieve ‘VR Recommended’ status, the highest achievable level of experience possible. In addition to that, our affinity multi-GPU feature is already showing significant performance uplift over a single GPU on Radeon cards in the aforementioned benchmark.

Performance and quality improvements for
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Ashes of the Singularity – Benchmark 2.0

Crossfire Profiles available for
The Division
XCOM 2

For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Drivers, please refer to the following support resources:

How-To Uninstall AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Drivers from a Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Drivers on a Windows® Based System

Resolved Issues:
Far Cry 4 - Stuttering may be observed when launching the game with AMD Freesync™ and AMD Crossfire™ enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable either feature
World of Warcraft runs extremely slowly in quad crossfire at high resolutions
Fallout 4 - Screen tearing in systems with both AMD Freesync™ and AMD Crossfire™ enabled if game is left idle for a short period of time
Fallout 4 - Flickering may be experienced at various game locations with the v1.3 game update and with AMD Crossfire™ enabled
Fallout 4 - Foliage/water may ripple/stutter when game is launched in High/Ultra settings mode
Fallout 4 - Thumbnails may flicker or disappear while scrolling the Perk levels page
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Flickering may be experienced at various game locations when the game is left idle in AMD Crossfire™ mode under Windows 7
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Lara Croft’s hair may flicker in some locations is the Esc key is pressed
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Game may intermittently crash or hang when launched with very high settings and AA is set to SMAA at 4K resolution
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - Corruption can be observed at some locations during gameplay
Rise of Tomb Raider™ - A TDR error may be observed with some AMD Radeon 300 Series products after launching the "Geothermal Valley" mission
A black screen/TDR error may be encountered when booting a when booting a system with Intel + AMD graphics and an HDMI monitor connected
Radeon Settings may sometimes fails to launch with a “Context Creation Error” message
FRTC options are displayed on some unsupported laptop configurations with Intel CPU’s and AMD GPU’s
Choppy gameplay may be experienced when both AMD Freesync™ and AMD Crossfire™ are both enabled
Display corruption may be observed after keeping system idle for some time
The AMD Overdrive™ memory clock slider does not show original clock values if memory speeds are overclocked

Known Issues:
Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption
A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"
Star Wars™: Battlefront - Corrupted ground textures may be observed in the Survival of Hoth mission
Cannot enable AMD Crossfire with some dual GPU AMD Radeon HD 59xx and HD 79xx series products
Fallout 4 - In game stutter may be experienced if the game is launched with AMD Crossfire enabled
XCOM 2 - Flickering textures may be experienced at various game locations
Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - The game may randomly crash on launch if Tessellation is enabled

AMD Issue Reporting Form:
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Issue Reporting Form. To provide us with your feedback, visit the AMD Issue Reporting Form.

Matt do you think AMD will fix drivers for Planetary Annihilation in Windows 10 on Fiji?

Dammit Matt I just put on the 16.1.1 yesterday lol.

Also really wish they would get a fix for planetary annihilation cough cough.

Matt do you think AMD will fix drivers for Planetary Annihilation in Windows 10 on Fiji?

If you reported the issue and we can reproduce it internally, then yes we'll usually try to fix it.

If you can direct me to a thread where the issue is documented thoroughly that will help.

Any idea how that is working scaling / performance wise? any flickering / shadow issues?

I've not played the game, but I'm not aware of any unwanted side effects with this profile.

Pretty disgraceful TBH, how can is be a "high priority issue" and still not be fixed 4 month later :(. Somebody at AMD must have a very odd interpretation of "high priority"!

Against my better judgement I just bought a Fury X, posts like this make me question my purchase :eek:

It's out of my control unfortunately, but i do make sure the feedback i receive reaches the right people within AMD.

Last edited:
3rd party overclocking tools bypass the normal AMD drivers entirely to force overclocks, this is normal and in no way AMDs problem. Basically it's the 3rd party tool developers who need to fix this problem.

nope don't agree with this. Pre crimson drivers worked fine with MSI afterburner. I installed Crimson then i get the blackscreens on windows login screen. rolled back the the catalyst and works fine again.
It's the drivers conflicting. The drivers hold onto the stock voltage from what i can see so when afterburner ramps the clocks up it blackscreens but it dosn't manage to increase the voltage and power %

Pre crimson works fine so this is inline with what others are experiencing.

I'm STILL getting a black screen on start up with crimson. I've just tried it again after the first release of crimson. What a heap of ****.

Can I just install the latest display driver or will I get the same issue?

If not screw my 290. Good card but gaming time is dwindling nowadays and I don't have the time to mess around with shoddy coding.

Back
Top Bottom