• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
It's quite clear what AMD's strategy is regarding drivers.

Bigger more substantial updates, so as to maximise the attention and marketing of their products.

In the meaning time .... tumbleweed.

When the new drivers do come out they will be something of the same nature as the 'Omega' drivers. Just to wow customers and make it look special.

Associate
Seems a shame they ditched the concept of the CAPs if they are going back to fewer, bigger driver releases. Not much fun having to wait 2/3+ months to be able to use xfire on new games :(

Associate
I switched team (2x AMD R9-290 > 2x Nvidia GTX 970) last month when i couldn't play Dying Light or Evolve, and right now i'm really happy. I can finally enjoy my games with the hardware i bought.

Seriously when i see AMD has not released a new driver yet, i think i did the best choice to come back to NVidia... AMD has great graphic cards but even the best hardware need good drivers to work well, and with Crossfire it's not the case.

Associate
From what I've seen from AMD, this long wait between drivers is a one off and they will be going back to monthly updates again going forward. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

That being said, they really need to communicate to the customers better. If they'd given people an explanation for what was going on I reckon there'd be far fewer annoyed people right now.

Soldato
Matt said this ages ages on this thread :)

Matt also repeatedly said there was no fixed date for release, that they would be released when they are ready. We've since learned that the release date is the 19th, and has been set for a while, so Matt has taken a bit of a hit to his credibility, sadly.

Soldato
From what I've seen from AMD, this long wait between drivers is a one off and they will be going back to monthly updates again going forward. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

That being said, they really need to communicate to the customers better. If they'd given people an explanation for what was going on I reckon there'd be far fewer annoyed people right now.

they actually said a while back that they were dropping monthly updates

edit; 2012 in fact :/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5880/...hly-driver-updates-releases-catalyst-126-beta

Soldato
Caporegime
They said they dropping monthly whql releases. Monthly drivers have continued in beta state..

This delay isn't something that will carry on. It's happening because of Freesync time frame nothing more tbh amd needs these driver out for freesync this why they is a delay atm.

So Freesync is the big thing with the next drivers? Seems a little harsh to make everyone wait on CF profiles for the sake of Freesync.

Soldato
So Freesync is the big thing with the next drivers? Seems a little harsh to make everyone wait on CF profiles for the sake of Freesync.

You used to be able to make them yourself !

Basically there was this little app that could make profiles. IIRC there are three or four ways for Crossfire to work and all you had to do was pick one and try again if it failed.

Pretty sure they stopped it working which is a shame, because even though Crossfire didn't actually work properly at the time it was a darn sight better than nothing.

Nvidia have been properly on the ball lately. EVGA used to play catch up but they've been so good it's made EVGA redundant.

You can still create and change SLI profiles too, had to do it the other week to Dying Light. No idea if you still can on AMD though.

Soldato
You used to be able to make them yourself !

Got around to trying Dying Light on 14.12.

Found either Hitman Absolution or 1x1 Optimize custom Crossfire profiles seem to work flawlessly with all settings maxed out and vsync on. :)

Tested at 1440P on a single 295x2.

tOHDfdu.jpg

2r7c75h.jpg

w8xph0.jpg

1g653q.jpg

^^^
It's still there andy, it can get you from good to great performance in mgpu, when there isn't a profile.:(

Back
Top Bottom