• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
You used to be able to make them yourself !

Basically there was this little app that could make profiles. IIRC there are three or four ways for Crossfire to work and all you had to do was pick one and try again if it failed.

Pretty sure they stopped it working which is a shame, because even though Crossfire didn't actually work properly at the time it was a darn sight better than nothing.

You can still do it, and it's easy. But it's not guaranteed quality, a proper profile is better. Far Cry 4, for instance, has some visual glitch issues with AA which hopefully will be fixed with a proper profile. Going back to Crysis 2, there was a similar visual glitch for a month or so on launch till the proper profile came out, so I'm hopeful.

Associate
AMD + freesync or no freesync and less problems?

Hello, currently I have an AMD R9 270X and a GTX 670.

I switched the cards like 20 times comparing their latency/frametime/responsiveness and their drivers. Also switching countless times between DX and Mantle in BF4 just on the AMD card over many months with all the known problems.

My plan was to get a screen and a new AMD card with full FreeSync support.

But I really have a problem with the AMD drivers, not only the quarterly updates. Do I really want to be bound to AMD and their drivers for many years?

Nice, here we have an AMDMatt, so:

1. Why doesn't the AMD driver/CCC have a setting for the max prerendered frames like Nvidia has to massively reduce latency in competitive gaming?
Please don't say to use any third party software like some radeonpro stuff one has to configure and start with every game - not acceptable!

2. Why doesn't the driver have an option like Nvidia "Override the scalling mode set by games and programs" to prevent the game from getting stretched even when scalling is deactivated? (BF4 does this).

3. Why does CCC have this obscure "Alternative DVI operation mode" where no one can really say for many years now what it does, what to chose, which effect it has, like on latency? Why is this undocumented, why is this needed, why can the Nvidia drivers work without this?

4. Why do the AMD drivers produce dozens of errors in the event viewer, spamming the system with error logs every single startup and during games? Why such bad drivers? Why no support to solve this massive spam of errors?

5. Why does every user have to disable that Hotkey poller service/external event utility that autostarts as default and results in massive mouse latency? People think it's only to poll (USB keyboard) hotkeys (resulting in USB mouse lag), others say it also polls stuff like temps/fans and those errors in the event log and is needed to get not that famous AMD black screen after standby? Why do we need such service, why don't you prevent that unacceptable mouse lag?

6. Why are there all these other autostarts/services that have like no measurable use and are totally unneeded and start each other in a chain like MOM, reduced CCC start initiaters and so on which many users will disable anyway? Well Nvidia also spams the system with services. But why is this comman practice when not needed?

7. Why aren't there any game profiles showing up (non crossfire user)?
The Nvidia driver shows me my games and I can set stuff like prerendered frames for each game, but when I want to add a game like CS:GO in Catalyst, it tells me, that there is already a (pre-delivered?) profile for this game - well where is it?!?! Show it. I see nothing in the list!

8. I wonder, why of 100s of professional gamers I watch at Twitch or Youtube, who play highly competive latency/frametime critical games like first person shooters, no one states AMD graphics cards in their specs/profiles but Nvidia cards?! I wonder, maybe this has some reason like the drivers and sluggish latency? And please don't say those guys are all sponsored by Nvidia, because AMD could also sponsor pro gamers and learn from their feedback.
I write this, because I thought it was kind of funny when I saw one counter strike pro ("Scream") who states to use an R9 200 series in his profile - but coincidence, he is without a team now. I thought, wow finally a guy who also shares such card, I could share problems in his chat. Maybe the R9 + drivers harmed his aim/muscle memory? :)

So, I really want to invest into an new AMD card and screen that support freesync (because we know the R9 270X doesn't support it) - but after all these years I have no trust into AMD anymore and about their upcomming driver support. I really want to spend a lot of money in the next weeks (well this "Announce Company" announced freesync for the last christmas holliday season and I was waiting for screens which never showed up and a "Radeon R9 285X" which also never showed up, because the only 2GB of the R9 285 are not acceptable).
Why don't they implement easy stuff like prerendered frames and many other settings a competitor offers his customers? Why don't they solve the many errors that show up in event logs? And so on, and so on...

Funny bonus: that @AMD_Roy (Corporate Vice President IPG at AMD.) wrote me a mail for an R9 290X offer to win back business, but sorry, who wants to buy a new R9 290X in 2015? That's why their stocks are filled with stone old cards and they have to postpone new releases.

Well I'm off to watch the CS:GO katowice major tournament later this day. Let me gues, those pros fighting for several 100.000 $ are playing on Nvidia cards?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You can still do it, and it's easy. But it's not guaranteed quality, a proper profile is better. Far Cry 4, for instance, has some visual glitch issues with AA which hopefully will be fixed with a proper profile. Going back to Crysis 2, there was a similar visual glitch for a month or so on launch till the proper profile came out, so I'm hopeful.

As i said last time, that is a game bug. A Crossfire profile cannot fix bugs within the game.

Playing Cities Skyline look who I bumped into

8HTDdRF.jpg

Courtesy of Ratzuk

:D

Matt also repeatedly said there was no fixed date for release, that they would be released when they are ready. We've since learned that the release date is the 19th, and has been set for a while, so Matt has taken a bit of a hit to his credibility, sadly.

Which was true at the time of posting.

The 19th is now the firm date for the FreeSync drivers and we can expect a lot of Crossfire improvements as part of this driver too.

I will give more specific details when i publish the driver and the release notes on the 19th.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Greg,

So far tested on a single card, maximum settings x4 MSAA no stutter at all locked at 60fps with vsync on. x8MSAA brings fps down below 60 slightly, but no massive stuttering. Settled for x4MSAA for smooth gameplay.

t3g1QhL.jpg

O90hH5V.jpg

Quad Crossfire appears to be working as well, though i suspect it needs a proper profile to see decent gpu usage.

QuadFire

4K +x8 MSAA
f2sqxj.jpg

1440P +x8 MSAA
EuGyfiO.jpg

Caporegime
Thanks for doing that Matt. I did try to record it but Raptr is just recording a black screen. It is quite frustrating, as it is either tearing or stuttering in a few games (Ethan Carter/The Witcher 2/Portal 2) No idea why and frames are good. Some games play nicely with V-Sync on though (Tomb Raider/Assassins Creed Unity/Shadow of Mordor).

Appreciate any help :)

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for doing that Matt. I did try to record it but Raptr is just recording a black screen. It is quite frustrating, as it is either tearing or stuttering in a few games (Ethan Carter/The Witcher 2/Portal 2) No idea why and frames are good. Some games play nicely with V-Sync on though (Tomb Raider/Assassins Creed Unity/Shadow of Mordor).

It's perfectly smooth at the settings i used above @1440P with a single 290X card so not sure what to suggest.

Caporegime
OP

Strange one. Oh well, my main game is fine apart from tearing (ED), so all good :)

I just used the Gaming Evolved APP to record me playing on 1x290X, uploading to youtube now. Couldn't replicate black screens, stuttering or tearing. :)

Caporegime
OP

Strange one. Oh well, my main game is fine apart from tearing (ED), so all good :)

I just used the Gaming Evolved APP to record me playing on 1x290X, uploading to youtube now. Couldn't replicate black screens, stuttering or tearing. :)

If i can recreate the stuttering, I'll raise it as an issue but it seems to be working fine for me on two different Asics, R9 290X and a R7 260X across an Intel and an AMD system.

EDIT

I just noticed an ingame option to lock fps to 60, perhaps worth giving that a try.

Caporegime
Will do cheers. It is one of the best looking games I have ever seen, albeit a short game and it does run nice and smooth without V-Sync.

Run at 1080P 60fps for best quality :D

Edit:

Just looking at your video, you have the stutter I am getting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe the normal known Vsync stutter Greg? I expect you might be sensitive to it and after using Gsync for a while I expect it to stand out like a sore thumb.

Try the limit frame rate to one blow refresh rate 59 etc you can use MSI AB for this.

Caporegime

You're probably better off going nvidia if you're going to blame all those on AMD.

Mouse lag lol and thinking nvidia is superior for competitive players?

My mouse feels the same as it did on a 970 with my 295x2, my scores have actually improved on BF4.

The reason most streamers go nvidia is because the majority have zero knowledge in hardware and the average joe still thinks nvidia are the go to for everything.

Caporegime
Maybe the normal known Vsync stutter Greg? I expect you might be sensitive to it and after using Gsync for a while I expect it to stand out like a sore thumb.

Try the limit frame rate to one blow refresh rate 59 etc you can use MSI AB for this.

I will try the frame limiter and see how that goes. Is it just me who thinks Matt's vid isn't smooth? Maybe it is a G-Sync thing.

Back
Top Bottom