• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
It doesn't look good. Is there a BIOS switch on the video card so that you can switch to the secondary BIOS?

Yea i'm good with a BIOS switch, i borked the Silent BIOS. I have read theres a way of fixing it but i dont really trust the method used in case i totally brick the card.

I read that turning on the PC using the good BIOS, then switching to the borked BIOS while PC is on, then flashing again.. can fix it.

I duno, kinda happy with the one BIOS i have been using for over two years anyway, just wanted to try and get 8gb of VRAM out of my 4GB card as theres a 4GB sticker over the printed 8GB on the box :)

Soldato
So how do i get the Radeon settings back on right clicking desktop? Its vanished since swapping a few cards around, installed my Vega 56 today, reinstalled drivers, still not there.

I had the same thing. I did a clean install of the drivers (which I already had for my old card) and although the drivers were installed, the control panel was not. Just did another install of the same drivers over the top, and the control panel came back. If you do a custom install rather than express, you can see what it installs. The first time around the control panel was not listed as an option, the second it was there and selected.

Associate
I had the same thing. I did a clean install of the drivers (which I already had for my old card) and although the drivers were installed, the control panel was not. Just did another install of the same drivers over the top, and the control panel came back. If you do a custom install rather than express, you can see what it installs. The first time around the control panel was not listed as an option, the second it was there and selected.

Oh man, i already tried another install over the top.. will try again later.. cheers :)

Soldato
Yea i'm good with a BIOS switch, i borked the Silent BIOS. I have read theres a way of fixing it but i dont really trust the method used in case i totally brick the card.

I read that turning on the PC using the good BIOS, then switching to the borked BIOS while PC is on, then flashing again.. can fix it.

I duno, kinda happy with the one BIOS i have been using for over two years anyway, just wanted to try and get 8gb of VRAM out of my 4GB card as theres a 4GB sticker over the printed 8GB on the box :)

We used to do something similar with bricked motherboards back in the day. When the BIOS chips were removable :D

It worked back then, should still work now.

Soldato
I've got a weird problem, I wonder if anyone can shed a light? I've had a Vega 56 running fine for several days under driver 18.10.2. I updated my USB drivers, and now at every boot time, AMD's External Event's Utility is popping up an alert that my hardware changed, and my PC needs rebooting. Nothing is being changed, but it seems the keyboard is enumerating at boot, and it's confusing the AMD External Events Utility. I've tried clean installing the AMD drivers, rolling back the USB update, cleaning and reinstalling with DDU, etc.

The only thing that seems to work is either rolling back to the last official driver (the quite old win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.5.1-may23), or disabling the AMD External Event Untility service, and not having any in game hot keys for the drivers. This seems to have been an intermittent and long running issue for quite some time, with various fixes that may or may not work, and often a problem for AMD based laptops.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also have a weird problem, not sure if anyone can help.
I recently switched out my GTX 980 for a Fury X in my 4770K + GA-Z87-OC setup.
I had an issue with really poor performance. I sort of have a workaround, but it's a bit annoying.

When my PC boots for the first time something goes wonky and my GPU performance is awful. The first few seconds of Heaven runs at around 7fps, following the workaround it's around 50fps.
The workaround is to restart the PC. I can even press the reset button at POST, that will sort it. If I don't, even the UEFI BIOS has poor performance.
So it doesn't seem like a driver issue.

All I know is it didn't happen with the GTX 980.

Any ideas?

Soldato
I also have a weird problem, not sure if anyone can help.
I recently switched out my GTX 980 for a Fury X in my 4770K + GA-Z87-OC setup.
I had an issue with really poor performance. I sort of have a workaround, but it's a bit annoying.

When my PC boots for the first time something goes wonky and my GPU performance is awful. The first few seconds of Heaven runs at around 7fps, following the workaround it's around 50fps.
The workaround is to restart the PC. I can even press the reset button at POST, that will sort it. If I don't, even the UEFI BIOS has poor performance.
So it doesn't seem like a driver issue.

All I know is it didn't happen with the GTX 980.

Any ideas?

Use DDU on Windows safe mode. Delete all Nvidia & AMD drivers before you reboot.
When you boot "normal mode" on windows use Ccleaner and wipe out all registry issues (run it twice after you fix first time).

Then install 18.10.2 drivers.

If you are using Destiny 2, you need to wipe out your %appdata% and my document folders related to the game.

Soldato
Use DDU on Windows safe mode. Delete all Nvidia & AMD drivers before you reboot.
When you boot "normal mode" on windows use Ccleaner and wipe out all registry issues (run it twice after you fix first time).

Then install 18.10.2 drivers.

If you are using Destiny 2, you need to wipe out your %appdata% and my document folders related to the game.
Used DDU and have installed 18.10.2 but haven't cold booted since.

Because it affects the BIOS screen I'm not sure why drivers would matter.

Back
Top Bottom