• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Updated from 18.5.1 (IIRC) to the latest driver about a week ago. Something I've noticed ever since is strange flickering in Divinity Original Sin 2, which was definitely not happening before. It's extremely noticeable on static screens (e.g. loading screen). I haven't tried any other games this week but it definitely doesn't happen on the desktop. I am using FreeSync and the monitor's refresh rate is changing as expected. Anyone else seen this in other games?

Soldato
Updated from 18.5.1 (IIRC) to the latest driver about a week ago. Something I've noticed ever since is strange flickering in Divinity Original Sin 2, which was definitely not happening before. It's extremely noticeable on static screens (e.g. loading screen). I haven't tried any other games this week but it definitely doesn't happen on the desktop. I am using FreeSync and the monitor's refresh rate is changing as expected. Anyone else seen this in other games?

Try 18.10.1 then let us know. Uninstall relive also just in case. But some strategy games engines have issue with freesync and full screen exclusive. Use windowed mode.

Permabanned
How's everyone getting on with the new 18.10.1 drivers?

I've had to ddu and roll back as it keeps crashing Dirt Rally. I've been playing a lot of Dirt Rally over the last week or so and today it's crashing again and again at anywhere from 10 to 40 minute intervals, I've tried lowering my overclock a bit but it still crashes, I'm not sure if it's made my overclock unstable or if it's something else so I've rolled back and so far so good, I need to spend more time in game to know for sure but it wasn't crashing yesterday so I think it's got to be driver related. I'll post an update on how I'm getting on later.

Soldato
How's everyone getting on with the new 18.10.1 drivers?

I've had to ddu and roll back as it keeps crashing Dirt Rally. I've been playing a lot of Dirt Rally over the last week or so and today it's crashing again and again at anywhere from 10 to 40 minute intervals, I've tried lowering my overclock a bit but it still crashes, I'm not sure if it's made my overclock unstable or if it's something else so I've rolled back and so far so good, I need to spend more time in game to know for sure but it wasn't crashing yesterday so I think it's got to be driver related. I'll post an update on how I'm getting on later.

Raise your P7 by 5mv. You should be OK after that.

I find the 18.10.1 OK. Not as good at the 18.8.1 if comes to benchmarking in Firestrike, but they do better in Timespy.

Otherwise they run OK on few hours WOT tonight.

Soldato
Although no mention in the changelog, these drivers *seem* to have sorted all my video playback woes on Windows 10. I don't use Windows 10 day to day but I've dabbled the last few months and always end up having to use the drivers which come through windows update which are ancient (17.7). That also makes a mockery about these being "updated" for Windows 10 1809 October update - the 17.7s work just fine.

Soldato
Try 18.10.1 then let us know. Uninstall relive also just in case. But some strategy games engines have issue with freesync and full screen exclusive. Use windowed mode.
18.10.1 has the same issue. If I switch to Fake Fullscreen the problem disappears...but only for a minute or less until it reappears. Fake Fullscreen is also annoying because I lose FPS. I might try a different game to see if that's affected but otherwise I guess I'll go back to 18.5.x.

Soldato
18.10.1 has the same issue. If I switch to Fake Fullscreen the problem disappears...but only for a minute or less until it reappears. Fake Fullscreen is also annoying because I lose FPS. I might try a different game to see if that's affected but otherwise I guess I'll go back to 18.5.x.
I have since gone back to the 18.6.1 driver (since it was the most recent one I had on my disk). FPS has improved dramatically, at least in the one area I directly compared (48 to 67), FreeSync is definitely working correctly, and the flickering has gone. Definitely a bug with the newer drivers although I have no idea when between 18.6.1 and 18.9.3 it was introduced.

Soldato
AMD Radeon 1603 installer error.

This thing has been the bane of my life for the last week or so.

Loads of so called "fixes" did not help, DDU, reinstalling C++ redistrutables etc, no solution.

This post on the AMD forums suggests looking in the event viewer:
https://community.amd.com/thread/228246

I look in the event viewer (Windows logs\Application) and see this:

88TM1E2.png

Product: AMD Problem Report Wizard -- Error 1327.Invalid Drive: Z:\

Z: was a network drive I did have but not sure how the installer was latching on to it.

So, I went to the registry as per this support link from the Autodesk support site:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sear...1327-Invalid-Drive-when-starting-install.html

The 1327 error is a Windows installer error it would seem.

So, I check the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

And sure enough, there are references to the orphaned Z: although no idea why the Windows installer / Radeon installer is referencing them as they have nothing to do with any install/system folder.

It was a nondescript string value, just alpha numeric and did not reference anything specific and the value data was just a path, example below:

3wiP7gw.png

Any hoo, remove all references to the orphaned drive and rebooted the computer and reinstalled without any problem.

The AMD support article for this error:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/KB1603.aspx

Does not touch on this as being a likely cause but it was in this instance and has been for others I assume but I was unable to find a specific reference to it.

Hope this helps others in the future and saves them some hair.

Soldato
What's your issues

Freesync does not work in Adrenalin drivers for some AMD users.

Uninstall Adrenalin, install Crimson, all works fine.

A definite driver issue and reported on the AMD community forums but for nearly a year, not fixed.

Something tweaked in Adrenalin which has impacted some configurations.

Soldato
Freesync does not work in Adrenalin drivers for some AMD users.

Uninstall Adrenalin, install Crimson, all works fine.

A definite driver issue and reported on the AMD community forums but for nearly a year, not fixed.

Something tweaked in Adrenalin which has impacted some configurations.

What is your exact hardware having issues?

Soldato
Radeon RX570 4GB
LG 34UM69G

HDMI and rated DP cable, same problem.

Freesync dead with Adrenalin, all works fine in Crimson.

Assuming you use ddu to wipe the drivers, and there is a selectable option to turn on Freesync.

Is this issue in specific games? Some engines don't like Freesync with exclusive fullscreen and you need windowed mode full screen.
Is this tried also with 18.10.1?

After you use ddu to wipe drivers, in safe mode, have you tried to use cleaner to clear the registry? There are 130 values left between crimson and adrenaline drivers.

Soldato
Can’t say I’ve had any issues with freesync for quite some time now Gimpy. I can understand your frustration though, works fine for many, doesn’t work for others.

If freesync works on an older driver then clearly it’s not a hardware issue. Gotta be a driver gremlin in there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom