• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
HI all, i bought a vega 56 from here last month. i installed the current drivers and everything has been fine until i installed the latest
drivers last night and when i rebooted and signed in i see the desktop for a couple of seconds then i get a black screen and loss of
of connection to my monitor. Now i can only get my pc to run after uninstalling the drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

Soldato
Install the previous drivers. I haven't updated to the latest drivers yet but a couple of months ago I was getting the same issue with each driver release and it now appears the issue is back. 19.3.x were all fine for me, don't think I'll install the 19.4.1 just yet....

Associate
Hey, does your 7850 output video in pre-OS environment (during boot/in BIOS)? or it does not work period?

rx580 is overall faster, and memory mostly comes in useful when playing on larger resolutions using higher level texture details, which is where rx570 with 8GB might pull ahead. it's a close one, and it all depends on how soon you'd be looking to upgrade the gpu afterwards and how much you'd be able to get either of them for (overall i'd say rx570 8gb would provide more longevity than rx580 4gb). Hope this helps.

using hdmi (hdmi(gpu) to dvi(monitor); my monitor hdmi port is broken so i use the hdmi output and convert it to dvi) it does show the boot logo (asus logo and press f2 to enter bios)
i have also tried with the vga port (dvi(gpu) to vga(monitor) with the converter included with the gpu) and the same problem happens
i do not any dvi to dvi cable thus i could not test it

also i have a 1080p monitor at 60hz and i would not really be looking to upgrade right now
the cpu i definately want to upgrade, maybe the ryzen 2000/3000 series depending on the price
this the rx580 4gb at £150
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-41g-as.html
and the rx570 8gb is from a friend (brand new) for £135

I presume this is driver related so anyway. I received my new rig from Overclockers yesterday. Ryzen 7 2700 with a Sapphire Vega 56. I have had endless problems with my computer since receiving it. Within 5 minutes of trying a game (The Division 2) the machine shut itself down. The notification I got was 'Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure'. I have had this exact message numerous times since. It can happen 10 minutes after starting a game or it can be 60 minutes later. It happens in different games as well. On two occasions it has also just hung with my monitor saying there is no signal. I also get the 'unexpected system failure' notification everytime the machine restarts. I do not specifically use WattMan and have neither overclocked or undervolted. I have now tried three different drivers and used DDU to try and completely uninstall everything Radeon related. Even after trying and reinstalling that I have had one further issue since this morning. I googled the Wattman notification and spent a few hours reading through many, many examples of this happening to a wide ranged of AMD cards on a multitude of forums. Any idea of what I can do?

now that i remember i do recall a few times that the 'Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored' message came up (i did not overclock it apart from the stock overclock)
maybe i should have payed attentions to the card dying

would it be worth it waiting for the navi gpu?

Associate
After testing out most of the recent drivers from 19.1.1 up to 19.4.1 I have found in my personal experience that 19.2.2 is the best out of the bunch in terms of OC stability for a Vega 64.

19.3.X to 19.4.1 would tend to cause a lot of clock spikes which would lead to crashing during games or benchmarks. 19.3.1 onwards also broke the fan control for me and 19.2.2 seems to be the one where the GPU actually listens to the fan curve that I have set in Wattman.

The newer drivers would also cause the GPU core voltage to run at a higher level, which would lead to increased performance. IMO the increase in perf isn't worth the instability.

Soldato
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.2 Highlights
Support For

• World War Z™
    • Up to 24% greater performance with AMD Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.2, on a Radeon™ VII in World War Z. RS-293
    • Up to 19% greater performance with AMD Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.2, on a Radeon™ RX Vega 64 in World War Z. RS-292
  • Anno 1800™
Known Issues
  • AMD Radeon VII may experience screen flicker in multi display setups on desktop or while applications are running.
  • Netflix™ Windows® Store application may experience display flicker during video playback on some HDR enabled displays.
  • Performance metrics overlay and Radeon WattMan gauges may experience inaccurate fluctuating readings on AMD Radeon VII.
  • Performance metrics overlay may experience intermittent flicker when playing back protected content with this feature enabled.
  • System instability may be experienced on ASUS TUF Gaming FX504 laptop when a wireless display is connected.
Important Notes
  • AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition can be found here.

Permabanned
A couple of questions related to Relive recording if anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

1, How do I get the recording timer off screen so it doesn't appear in the video's?

2, I'm not sure how I managed it but when I record with the performing metrics window on screen it is not showing in my recordings, I don't know how to fix it?

Soldato
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.3 Highlights
Support For

• Mortal Kombat XI™
Fixed Issues
  • With AMD Link connected to Radeon Settings the update notifications feature may list incorrect installed versions.
Known Issues
  • AMD Radeon VII may experience screen flicker in multi display setups on desktop or while applications are running.
  • Netflix™ Windows® Store application may experience display flicker during video playback on some HDR enabled displays.
  • Performance metrics overlay and Radeon WattMan gauges may experience inaccurate fluctuating readings on AMD Radeon VII.
  • Performance metrics overlay may experience intermittent flicker when playing back protected content with this feature enabled.
  • System instability may be experienced on ASUS TUF Gaming FX504 laptop when a wireless display is connected.
Important Notes
  • AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition can be found here.

Associate
The last few sets of drivers - I think all the 19.4.x ones - have the bug again for me where mem state 3 gets set to/stuck as both the min and the max, so the mem runs at full speed and also pushes up the core voltage to what seems to be what ever is set for CPU state 7 and stops it from dropping.

Running 3D load - benchmark or game - fixes it but only until next reboot.

Can also set mem state 0 to min and state 2 to max to get around it as well.

Also still get the issue where tweaking wattman settings stops the vcore ever dropping below 0.9v , where as normally it'll go down to like 0.7 something volts.

Win10 x64, Vega 64, Using HWiNFO64 to check/monitor.

Dolby Atmos over HDMI to amp at least seems to be working again on these latest drivers, was broke of the last set or two but tbh it could be Windows or the app as it's flaky at the best of times.

Soldato
The last few sets of drivers - I think all the 19.4.x ones - have the bug again for me where mem state 3 gets set to/stuck as both the min and the max, so the mem runs at full speed and also pushes up the core voltage to what seems to be what ever is set for CPU state 7 and stops it from dropping.

Mine is just stuck at 700Mhz on the memory on a fresh boot or restart with all the 19.4's. Only way to fix it is to unplug one of my monitors for a few seconds and plug it back in again. One of my displays is DP so i just turn that off and on again which fixes it.

Thought they fixed this a while back, trust AMD to bring an old bug back.

I was on 19.2.3 for a long time, wish i hadnt bothered updating tbh, wasted an hour of my life going through the 19.4's.

Left the 19.4.3 installed for now :(

Associate
hey guys, i was having the same issue with mine, msi vega 64 with lc bios. flashed back the bios and it has fixed it, but now unable to get my overlclocks back to where they were. im no longer able to set pstate above 1200mv, any ideas or bios recommendation?

Regards Andrew

Last edited:
Permabanned
I was just looking at some old & new reviews over at TPU and came across what I thought was a real feather in AMD's cap.
I kept thinking it must be wrong but here it is:

In the Fury X release review it's average performance in GTA 5 at 1440p was 54.5fps https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/19.html

In the recent RX590 Fatboy review the Fury X's average performance in GTA 5 is now 90.5 fps https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/Radeon_RX_590_Fatboy/17.html

Then I looked at the test setup and realised they were using a 4.2ghz 4770k in the Fury X release review and a 4.8ghz 8700k in the RX 590 Fatboy review.
Even though they haven't managed such a big improvement it has turned the tables on the 980ti which is good to see for those with a Fury X.

It was also a surprise to see how much of a difference the newer CPU's made to the performance of both these and all the other gpu's.
The cpu can be quite the bottleneck nowadays.

Associate
I'm not 100% sure this is a driver issue. Using a single 1440p 60hz LG ultrawide on display port connection on my Radeon VII, and noticed every now and again there is a flicker/glitch on the windows icon bar on bottom left of screen - almost as if something is refreshing it. Only a split second but it catches my eye.

I've found that changing the display from 10 bit to 8 bit in the radeon settings seems to sort it though (or it happens a lot less frequently and I don't notice?).

As mentioned not sure this is a driver issue (since screen is "10bit" in that it's 8bit+FRC) but can't say I noticed this on my previous 980ti. Tried a different cable and port on card but still does it.

Using windows 1809 but it did it on earlier version too. Tried all versions of AMD drivers as well. Is this related to the "display flicker" issue?

Back
Top Bottom