• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
@LtMatt

An odd problem I've noticed is that if I enable HBCC within the Radeon settings I get game instability especially in Wolfenstein 2, Black screen and eventual crash, Didn't happen on my Vega 64, Only on the Radeon 7, Maybe a GPU + RAM incompatibility ? Possibly something AMD could look into ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nice sig @Dicehunter :)

Recently sold my Titan XP and now have a RX 580 as I don't plan on doing much or any gaming for a while. What I noticed again was how much better AMD's driver UI and feature set is. Don't understand why Nvidia are lagging behind in that department.

Permabanned
I had a go at playing Strange Brigade @ 5120x2160 using VSR yesterday & it ran surprisingly well, I purposely didn't use a framerate counter so that I could judge it on how it ran rather than the numbers & it felt fautless,

I also had ReLive recording my gameplay at the max bit rate of 100 Mbps with no issues, I was trying to complete Horde Mode Level Three for the first time & I spent just over an hour & a half on it at which point it stop recording because my boot drive had run out of room for the video which turned out to weigh in at over 47Gb's. :eek:

An important heads up for any one that records gameplay video using Radeon ReLive

If you make long videos make sure you have ample room on the drive doing the recording,
Relive automatically stops recording when your drive hits red,
I was using my 500gb boot drive and the recording got stopped by Relive even though there was still more than 30gb's of storage left on it,
Maybe you can overide that limit
riddle
If you know how let us know please, Cheers.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nice sig @Dicehunter :)

Recently sold my Titan XP and now have a RX 580 as I don't plan on doing much or any gaming for a while. What I noticed again was how much better AMD's driver UI and feature set is. Don't understand why Nvidia are lagging behind in that department.

First out the gate but last to update. :rolleyes:

With black bars at the side, VSR gives the option of 5120x2160 yet I don't have a 5K Ultrawide.

I've found VSR doesn't work properly in a lot games, Since it became available I've found that in a lot of games I've tried the mouse sticks to the non VSR resolution size so you get stuck with a mouse that can't move across half of the screen.

Associate
hello fellows, I'm not really sure if this is a Driver or Vega Owner Driver thing, so I posted on both:

so I did some tests and I came to the conclusion that:

Driver 19.3.2 - Wattman Settings Profile (for exemple):
P4: 1202 MHz - 1006 mV
P5: 1517 MHz - 1056 mV
P6: 1642 MHz - 1112 mV
P7: 1727 MHz - 1168 mV
Mem: 1100 Mhz - 1006 mV
PL: 24%

With the settings above on a Cold Boot (or if I simple restart Windows) I always have a driver Crash/Reset seconds after starting FireStrike Stress test for the first time (HWiNFO reports a max of 175x MHz on Gpu Core).
So after the gpu driver crash, I re-open Radeon Settings, Load SAME PROFILE ABOVE, and I'm able to stress FireStrike how many times I want, play games, etc.. without a single crash.

If I just restart Windows, open some game/firestrike stress test again for exemple, seconds after start using GPU I got a Driver Crash/Restart... if I just re-load profile again then I'm able to do whatever I want.

This makes me wonder how many times I though my overclock/undervolt wasn't as unstable as it appears to be, because I did some tests then "ok, everything sounds good, I'll continue tomorrow", then the next day I started from last night point and got a crash at first run and "oh, come on, yestarday I did a lot of test and this settings was stable, and now at the first run I got a crash?"

It seems to be related to PowerLimit, If I use the SAME config BUT with PL 0, I got no crash at all.. if I save settings with PL 24% (didn't test any other yet), I have the situation above.

TL;DR:
1) Start Windows (with settings applied on Wattman)
3) FireStike Stress Test
4) GPU Driver Crash/Reset
5) Re-Apply SAME Settings on Wattman
6) I'm good to go!

this could be a driver related thing? since the problem only occurs on a fresh windows start

Associate
Good day all, been checking this thread here and there and had to create and account for this issue I believe Thiago is also experiencing.

So I have been pulling my hair out dealing with the Vega 64 instabilities and I think it has to be AMD tinkering with the drivers that is causing it. So I have a DIY AIO water cooled Reference Vega 64, I basically won the dollar scratch off ticket silicon lottery with this one, it is not a great undervolter. So I thought I had a stable profile with the last drivers "19.3.1" - P6 1532 @1125 P7 1652 @1150 Mem 1080 @1100 PL 18% Would run 1630+ mhz all day GPU around 55C, hot spot in the 80's. (fan rpm low and silent)

So I test stability with Valley Benchmark, windowed at 2560x1440 max settings, set camera to free and crank the environment settings (cloud, wind, rain) to max, move around a bit to find a spot in the environment with the lowest FPS and that puts a 99%+ load on gpu. It will usually sit there if stationary running fine, but if its unstable, it will soon crash with "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" when I move around the environment a bit.

Sometimes it will crash and Valley will keep running, but back at stock Vega settings, what I have found out is that after a crash, If I go and reload my profile, the clocks do not go as high as before, and thus doing the same thing with Valley, it no longer crashes. Same thing with Witcher 3, except it always quits running after a crash. I believe this "no longer crashing when reloading the profile" is due to the card not clocking as high as it was after a fresh reboot or having not crashed previously. Glitch with the drivers / software? Now if I reboot first, then clocks are back to normal higher clocks and will crash. (if unstable)

So after recently updating to "19.3.2", I started crashing in Witcher 3 again, I rebooted and ran Valley to check stability there and noticed I was hitting 1650+ mhz! It has never hit that at a 1652 P7. Usually in the 1630's Of course it crashed a short time later when moving around the environment. That time a hard crash, black screen. I rebooted and tried again, and again same higher 1650+ clocks, crashed after moving around a bit, benchmark still running this time. For ***** and giggles I reloaded my profile, (after killing and restarting the Radeon Settings process as it always craps out on a crash) this time the clocks were in the 1630's and no Valley crash.

So there seems to be some software / driver glitch that after a crash, (if not first rebooting PC) and reloading your same profile, is will not running correctly and run at lower max clock speeds.

Also these 19.3.2 drivers for me at least are bumping the MHZ somehow, the same profile is no longer stable as it was with 19.3.1.

About my (default) bios - 016.001.001.000.008892 it seems to clock closer the the actual P state that is set. For instance, P7 at 1652, I'll get close to 1640. This does not seem to be the case with other bios's correct? With the 19.3.2 drivers, P7 @ 1652 was giving 1650's+mhz.

**Update:**

So why this is effecting me? (and possibly Thiago), I think having a profile that runs the card right on the edge of stability. The profile was fine with 19.3.1, now with 19.3.2 and 19.3.3, for some reason my card is clocking around 15 - 20mhz higher, just enough to push it to instability.

I now have to back off P7 to 1642 to get around 1630mhz and keep it stable.

I discovered that when putting the PC in standby, which I do often, then upon waking. The damn clocks are also lower by around 15mhz than they are after a fresh reboot. WTF?

So I also found out I can use this tool restart-1.3-src.zip to restart the display driver instead of rebooting. Which then bumps the clocks back to "normal" after a crash or coming from standby. Its Something I've been using with another tool (CRU) for monitor over clocking and Free Sync rate min/max tweaks. All found here - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Damn fun and pita card this is...

Also gonna post this in the Vega 64 section, since it pertains to both.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys, have had a weird issue where amd driver crashes on Win10 shutdown when on "Computer is shutting down" blue screen (failed to initialise memory error message, haven't got a pic unfortunately as obv can't get a screenshot). Updated to the new 19.3.2 Optional version with no luck; clean-reinstalled with DDU to both 19.1.1 and then back to 19.3.2 with no luck. GPU's never been overclocked/undervolted/etc, just had a custom (more aggressive) fan profile set in Wattman - which is the whole reason of me posting this as the custom profile keeps resetting to default after each driver crash :) any help would be appreciated!

Ive had the same issue over the last two days. im currently using my sons Rx470, and all of a sudden the screen will go black and then turn off. I have to manually reset my pc. its been getting more frequent, ive even formatted, but I still have the same issue. The program 'Whocrashed' gives me the below error.

On Wed 20/03/2019 21:18:44 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80FD5B5FCCC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE2018E6C5010, 0xFFFFF80FD5B5FCCC, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0339148.inf_amd64_2aa98027cbb86d51\B339146\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Its odd, because ive been using the same drivers for nearly a month and its only started to be a problem over the last two day.s

Soldato
Seems 19.3.3 aren't that stable still, after all that time. And installed them thinking that after 40 days having my PC again should be OK.
Went back to the trusty 19.1.1, the most stable drivers yet.

Soldato
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.3.3 Highlights
Support For

• Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice
  • Generation Zero
Fixed Issues
  • Rainbow Six Siege™ may experience intermittent corruption or flickering on some game textures during gameplay.
  • DOTA™2 VR may experience stutter on some HMD devices when using the Vulkan® API.
Known Issues
  • Mouse cursors may disappear or move out of the boundary of the top of a display on AMD Ryzen Mobile Processors with Radeon Vega Graphics.
  • Performance metrics overlay and Radeon WattMan gauges may experience inaccurate fluctuating readings on AMD Radeon VII.
Important Notes
  • AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition can be found here.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-3-3

Caporegime
I'm on a Vega 64 and this is using the last two beta drivers.

On my normal UW 2560X1080 my undervolt works perfectly fine.
However, as soon as I Windows + P to go to second screen only (My 4K OLED) the voltages I've set are ignored.

Thoughts? This happens with either Wattman controlling the voltage or AB. So it's in the AMD drivers one would assume.

I mean I can literally be on the desktop and have AB sat there monitoring my voltage. It'll be at 850mv per the P state set.

I then send it to my 4K and it's sat there at 1049mv.

Soldato
I'm on a Vega 64 and this is using the last two beta drivers.

On my normal UW 2560X1080 my undervolt works perfectly fine.
However, as soon as I Windows + P to go to second screen only (My 4K OLED) the voltages I've set are ignored.

Thoughts? This happens with either Wattman controlling the voltage or AB. So it's in the AMD drivers one would assume.

I mean I can literally be on the desktop and have AB sat there monitoring my voltage. It'll be at 850mv per the P state set.

I then send it to my 4K and it's sat there at 1049mv.

Set a profile up on Wattman and save it to file. When you switch to TV does Wattman reset to default? If so maybe you could load profile up again for the TV and then hopefully switching between monitor or TV will also load wattman profile? I not sure I dont use this type of setup my TV is still not connected to my PC.

Caporegime
Set a profile up on Wattman and save it to file. When you switch to TV does Wattman reset to default? If so maybe you could load profile up again for the TV and then hopefully switching between monitor or TV will also load wattman profile? I not sure I dont use this type of setup my TV is still not connected to my PC.

It doesn't set to default.

It just sticks to something other than what I've set though. Consistently.

Associate
Ive had the same issue over the last two days. im currently using my sons Rx470, and all of a sudden the screen will go black and then turn off. I have to manually reset my pc. its been getting more frequent, ive even formatted, but I still have the same issue. The program 'Whocrashed' gives me the below error.

Its odd, because ive been using the same drivers for nearly a month and its only started to be a problem over the last two day.s

Might be worthwile trying to do a clean reinstall (i.e. with DDU)? This looks quite sever in terms of symptoms and frankly very annoying :/

Strangely enough I haven't had any issues in the last 4-5 days with driver crashes. Haven't done anything to fix it, it just stopped crashing on shutdown. Also a bit off topic, but even though we have Generation Zero-ready drivers, the game itself unfortunately looks a bit bland :|

Associate
Might be worthwile trying to do a clean reinstall (i.e. with DDU)? This looks quite sever in terms of symptoms and frankly very annoying :/

Strangely enough I haven't had any issues in the last 4-5 days with driver crashes. Haven't done anything to fix it, it just stopped crashing on shutdown. Also a bit off topic, but even though we have Generation Zero-ready drivers, the game itself unfortunately looks a bit bland :|

turned out, 'Whocrashed' was giving me false information. My PSU was actually at fault.

Soldato
My dad has been having constant crashes using his 590 in a brand new system, no overclock on any system parts, latest drivers on windows 10.

I’m guessing it’s a common issue?

Back
Top Bottom