• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Unless these 3-4 month in the making Catalyst Drivers offer something good I'm off back to the Green team.

i think you are looking in the wrong place if you expect drivers to fix games like dying light
admittedly ive not played it for a couple of patches but i played it side by side 290/780 with a friend and we were streaming same time, they looked exactly the same, they didnt run that different
the game just runs slower than it should for how good it looks, its a fun game but they made it bad

its why gamers made their own tweak tools for it and stuff bcos the game makers just didnt care it ran bad
maybe matt isnt allowed to say this stuff i duno :) lol

Asa

Asa

Associate
Is RadeonPro any good for things like frame caps and V-Sync?

I am locked in perpetual battles against torn frames and input latency, and often can't fight both problems at the same time.

Frame capping through riva has no significant latency but it doesn't eliminate tear completely. V-Sync eliminates tear completely, but depending on the game it can introduce awful latency. And afaik the CCC v-sync options only work with OpenGL games, though I could be completely making that up?

Low latency v-sync is possible (the "reduce input latency" checkbox on WoW makes a night-and-day difference, but I have no idea what it is actually doing). If RadeonPro can help I'll try that. Unless of course these oft-rumoured "new drivers" help in any way...

Caporegime
OP
Is RadeonPro any good for things like frame caps and V-Sync?

I am locked in perpetual battles against torn frames and input latency, and often can't fight both problems at the same time.

Frame capping through riva has no significant latency but it doesn't eliminate tear completely. V-Sync eliminates tear completely, but depending on the game it can introduce awful latency. And afaik the CCC v-sync options only work with OpenGL games, though I could be completely making that up?

Low latency v-sync is possible (the "reduce input latency" checkbox on WoW makes a night-and-day difference, but I have no idea what it is actually doing). If RadeonPro can help I'll try that. Unless of course these oft-rumoured "new drivers" help in any way...

It can be useful in providing some more advanced tweaks that CCC does not offer. You can add or remove triple buffering, adjust the render ahead limit, enable Adaptive Vsync, set fps caps, many different things. I don't have the need for it much these days, but it can still be handy for some things.

Caporegime
i think you are looking in the wrong place if you expect drivers to fix games like dying light
admittedly ive not played it for a couple of patches but i played it side by side 290/780 with a friend and we were streaming same time, they looked exactly the same, they didnt run that different
the game just runs slower than it should for how good it looks, its a fun game but they made it bad

its why gamers made their own tweak tools for it and stuff bcos the game makers just didnt care it ran bad
maybe matt isnt allowed to say this stuff i duno :) lol

You've obviously not been keeping up with the game, they've patched it multiple times and increased performance immensely in that time.

It now uses less RAM, is better on multithreading, has faster fps etc etc.

Soldato
It can be useful in providing some more advanced tweaks that CCC does not offer. You can add or remove triple buffering, adjust the render ahead limit, enable Adaptive Vsync, set fps caps, many different things. I don't have the need for it much these days, but it can still be handy for some things.

Hi Matt.. do you think Adaptive Vsync would help out with stutter in DayZ?

Cheers :)

Soldato
So, Matt, when can I expect crossfire for Elite?

The game has been out some time. Why has it not been looked at? Is there any guarantee it will be looked at? Or is it another game where the game itself is blamed and ignored?

Honestly, I don't know who I dislike more right now between AMD and Nvidia. Been waiting months for driver updates and both of the two games I would like to play currently are broken for crossfire - one, apparently won't ever get fixed (Cod:AW) and Elite, well, who knows? These aren't just released titles.

Plus, I have simply held off other games such as FC4, AC:U, because I know they have issues as well.

Awfully tempted to sell these cards on and go for a Titan X. The Titan may not perform as well as when crossfire works, but how often does crossfire work these days in all honesty?

The only thing giving me pause is I have it all under water, and I jsut didn't want to change hardware for a long time.

Associate
The AMD Omega drivers are brilliant IMO, although personally I never really had an issue with AMD drivers previously.

The 290X is fantastic value for money right now, what res do you game at? The 3XX cards will be awesome I would think, but will obviously be fairly expensive at release.

I'm at 1080p at the minute but I am really having a toss up over getting the Iiyama 4k gaming monitor, but it's only 60hz, 28 inch one. Or going all out and getting a ROG swift.

I've never seen 4k or over 60hz so it's racking my brain a little.

thanks for the replies guys

Mei

Mei

Soldato
You've obviously not been keeping up with the game, they've patched it multiple times and increased performance immensely in that time.

It now uses less RAM, is better on multithreading, has faster fps etc etc.

i last played it about 2/3months ago i guess
about 3patches in *shrug

Caporegime
OP
Hi Matt.. do you think Adaptive Vsync would help out with stutter in DayZ?

Cheers :)

If the stutter is caused by using Vsync then maybe, but i think DayZ is a cpu bottleneck game so I'm unsure how effective this will be.

So, Matt, when can I expect crossfire for Elite?

The game has been out some time. Why has it not been looked at? Is there any guarantee it will be looked at? Or is it another game where the game itself is blamed and ignored?

Honestly, I don't know who I dislike more right now between AMD and Nvidia. Been waiting months for driver updates and both of the two games I would like to play currently are broken for crossfire - one, apparently won't ever get fixed (Cod:AW) and Elite, well, who knows? These aren't just released titles.

Plus, I have simply held off other games such as FC4, AC:U, because I know they have issues as well.

Awfully tempted to sell these cards on and go for a Titan X. The Titan may not perform as well as when crossfire works, but how often does crossfire work these days in all honesty?

The only thing giving me pause is I have it all under water, and I jsut didn't want to change hardware for a long time.

A Crossfire profile can only do so much, it cannot overcome issues with games themselves. If issues exist, it's up to the game developers to fix those and a Crossfire profile will not change that.

I can't give you a timeframe on Elite, but I've requested a profile for it so it may arrive in a future driver and i will push for it. Have you tried AFR Friendly for this title in the meantime?

Issues preventing Crossfire from being enabled in Farycry 4 have been resolved by the developer now, so we have a profile in our new drivers. We also have an improved profile for AC Unity, but again a profile will not overcome issues with the game.

As I've mentioned previously, COD:AW is not very friendly towards multi gpu setups, again this is not an issue a Crossfire profile can magically overcome.

Caporegime
OP
Matt, any thoughts about the Prepar3d profile?

Cheers,

Simon

I will have to raise that one Simon.

I'm at 1080p at the minute but I am really having a toss up over getting the Iiyama 4k gaming monitor, but it's only 60hz, 28 inch one. Or going all out and getting a ROG swift.

I would not recommend using the Rog swift as it uses non industry standard timings that unfortunately do not work well with our graphics cards.

I use the Ilyama screen you mentioned myself without issue.

I'd recommend one of these 144Hz panels instead of the Ilyama screen. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-078-AC&groupid=17&catid=948
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-113-BQ&groupid=17&catid=948

Soldato
If the stutter is caused by using Vsync then maybe, but i think DayZ is a cpu bottleneck game so I'm unsure how effective this will be.

A Crossfire profile can only do so much, it cannot overcome issues with games themselves. If issues exist, it's up to the game developers to fix those and a Crossfire profile will not change that.

I can't give you a timeframe on Elite, but I've requested a profile for it so it may arrive in a future driver and i will push for it. Have you tried AFR Friendly for this title in the meantime?

Issues preventing Crossfire from being enabled in Farycry 4 have been resolved by the developer now, so we have a profile in our new drivers. We also have an improved profile for AC Unity, but again a profile will not overcome issues with the game.

As I've mentioned previously, COD:AW is not very friendly towards multi gpu setups, again this is not an issue a Crossfire profile can magically overcome.

There is just an awful lot of "It's the game/devs" blame going on.

Why doesn't AMD work with the devs to try and get these things implemented and working?

Soldato

I game at 4k with 295X2 and 290X crossfire (equivalent to 3 290X's) and it is a struggle to keep modern games near 60hz, it is a very demanding resolution and one 290X certainly wont cut it. If you want 4k abouve 60hz, you will have to wait for displays and graphics cards that support the upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 standard and will require SERIOUS GPU horsepower to drive such a high res above 60FPS.
If you stay at 1080p though, a 290X will perform very nicely and the current pricing of the cards is very good! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom