• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Hmm games are running well and OC is perfect at the moment on my 56 I'm not sure I want to risk using these. Is there a major benefit it seems there are a lot of changes and have been able to load their Wattman profiles without issue?

Associate
Hmm games are running well and OC is perfect at the moment on my 56 I'm not sure I want to risk using these. Is there a major benefit it seems there are a lot of changes and have been able to load their Wattman profiles without issue?

My Wattman profile loaded fine (when I eventually found out where to load it) but I'm losing 4 fps on BL3 which is outside the margin of error from 64 fps. I'll sit this version out and wait for one with less bugs

Soldato
Ok thanks, the Radeon Boost looked interesting but I'll wait for these major changes to mature a little my PC is perfectly stable right now and gaming time is precious so CBA introducing issues

Associate
Ok thanks, the Radeon Boost looked interesting but I'll wait for these major changes to mature a little my PC is perfectly stable right now and gaming time is precious so CBA introducing issues

A wise decision going by the number of different issues being reported already. Like you, my 56 OC is running nicely on the pre-19.12.2 driver and I've not yet played a game I havent been able to run at 1440p x 60+ fps with Ultra/High quality so I dont yet have the need for image sacrificing technologies like Boost. Different story I expect for higher monitor res and frequency and maybe in the most demanding new titles. Hopefully by the time I need it, AMD will have resolved the problems.

One thing I did notice while testing BL3 under 19.12.2 was that the GPU boost clock didnt peak as high as under the previous driver (about 30 MHz less) so it looks like that behaviour has changed or the application of wattman OC profiles has become more conservative, although I'm not sure that alone would account for all the 4 fps drop.

Associate
Yes but it doesn't look like you can lock a P State.

Not sure what you mean. The functionality is the same as in Wattman but just initially hidden under a simplified view. You can load your profile created from the previous driver by clicking on the 3 vertical dots next to the 'apply changes' button. I still needed to load twice to enable the zero fan rpm. The downside for me was that the new driver seems to boost the gpu less than 19.12.1 did resulting in lower fps - 6% less in BL3!

Soldato
Not sure what you mean. The functionality is the same as in Wattman but just initially hidden under a simplified view. You can load your profile created from the previous driver by clicking on the 3 vertical dots next to the 'apply changes' button. I still needed to load twice to enable the zero fan rpm. The downside for me was that the new driver seems to boost the gpu less than 19.12.1 did resulting in lower fps - 6% less in BL3!

In Wattman you lock P7 as the minimum P State, it doesn't seem like you can do that with the new software.

Soldato
Ah yes, got you. Indeed it has gone. Intrigued why you would set P7 to min. Doesnt that run the card at max speed permanently?
Some games have barely tax the gpu causing the gpu to throttle speed which in some cases causes stuttering cause it will jump up and down in clock speed all the time. Locking P7 prevents this.

Soldato
apparently the newest driver kills vega 56/64 performance and the fan curves dont work
Next time perhaps provide some source of your claim if its not from personal experience.

Everything is fine on my VEGA 64
My custom tuning profile is working fine
Same here. So fare my Vega 64 is running as it should.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom